Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Old Quay, Neston - 21st Jul 2011 8:02pm
Was talking to someone the other day about local history.
He mentioned a low 'wall' that he had found, somewhere near or at Range Road in Neston. He found out, that this wall is in fact the remains of the Quay??
Does anybody have any more information?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Quay, Neston - 21st Jul 2011 8:16pm
The remains are still there - look up quay neston on google, there are loads of pics. Down near the harp inn and other places along there.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Old Quay, Neston - 22nd Jul 2011 6:26am
Where is Range Road Neston? As the River Dee silted up, new quays were built & the old ones were known as "Old Quay" so there are more than one.
The remains of Denhall Quay are down by the Harp Pub & there are more remains nearer the sea by the remains of the "Brick House" or "Quay House" which was also used to house Irish vagrants before they were sent back to Ireland. Great area to explore down there.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Old Quay, Neston - 22nd Jul 2011 8:24am
My local spy from that area suggests it could be somewhere near the rifle range at Burton Point at the bottom of Denhall Lane. Haven't had a dog walking explore there yet, looks interesting on Google Earth!
Posted By: Historybook Re: Old Quay, Neston - 22nd Jul 2011 4:02pm
I don't know anything about the quay near the rifle ranges, but i can remember what was left of the old quay house and the quay along at bit towards parkgate, i went for a walk that way a couple of years ago and was a bit put out that it had all deteriorated so much in the 20 years since i had last walked in the area !.

Something else i noticed some years back now is that the railings (or what was left of them) on the wall at parkgate had vanished, they where at the old Quay pub end, they used to be there in the 1980's !!.
Another bit of history that has been lost !.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral