Forums
Posted By: bert1 Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 7:13pm
An aerial photo of the Woodside area,what was the large chimney and what building was it attached to?

Attached picture ws1.jpg
Attached picture ws.JPG
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 7:28pm
Don't know when the Grasshopper was installed on that site?

What was going on in Hamilton Square?

Do you have a date?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 7:49pm
The date is 1923, as far as i know, nothing was going on in Hamilton Sq, other half of photo below.

Attached picture phphKfxL9PM.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 8:29pm
I'm sure the building is the Shore Road Pumping Station, which housed the giant steam pump called the Grasshopper. The chimney was the exhaust for the pump, which was used to keep the Mersey underground railway clear of water.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 8:45pm
The chimney was 280ft tall.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 9:22pm
when was the chimney demolished, seem to remember it in the late 40s early 50s and thought it was still there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 9:23pm
Yes indeed. Shore Road Pumping Station. Up until the late 1950's the former Mersey Railway generated it's own juice there. When they switched over to the National Grid, the steam plant was closed down. Grid supplies were then used for traction and lighting, also for pumping. The "Grasshoppers" were shut down. One was scrapped and one survives. Pumping is now done by "down the hole" Sulzer pumps with spider bearings concentric within the pumping main. Can't recall the output, but I remember being told when on a visit down the pumping shaft that if all pumps stopped, you have 4 hours before river water rises to conductor rail level under the river bed. It's then "Game Over" !!

The chimney was clad in scaffolding and demolished brick by brick in 1960/61 (?). No room for a Fred Dibnah job !!

Extract from "The Mersey Railway" by G.W.Parkin.... "and on Thurday 25th June 1959, Mr Robert Varley, the Company's last General Manager and Engineer formally closed the station down"

Sorry for the long-winded reply !

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 9:29pm
It was fully scaffolded in the late fifties and early sixties, and I remember seeing it in the early sixties.

Here is a 1961 picture ...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bert1 Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 9:31pm
Thank you all, excellent info as usual.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 9:40pm
Moonstar: The Grasshoppers were installed in 1884. Built by Andrew Barclay & Sons, Kilmarnock.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 9:53pm
Thanks for that Pin. I seem to remember some years ago seeing the engines working - are they still open to view?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 16th Jul 2011 10:06pm
Its been closed since the middle of last year, there are talks about mersey-travel taking it over.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 17th Jul 2011 12:11pm
Brilliant one that. It's amazing how much I've forgotten over the years and these sort of things were the big landmarks of our area. I think each time I take in some new stuff it must shove some old stuff out of the file.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 17th Jul 2011 1:53pm
That chimney was BIG by any standards! It frightened me every time I looked up at it and thought 'what if it blew down'! It would have obliterated Woodside!
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 17th Jul 2011 4:16pm
A nice photo of Shore Road Pumping Station in the late 50s (probably 1959 to judge from the negative number on the back), and one of each of the 'Grasshopper' engines.

Attached picture Shore Road Pumping Station.jpg
Attached picture Grasshopper 1.jpg
Attached picture Grasshopper 2.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 17th Jul 2011 5:50pm
When you see how black and dirty everything was, you have to say that for once the Government got something right with the clean air act.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 18th Jul 2011 5:36am
Referring to Pinz's report, game over in 4 hours if the pumping stopped. I wonder if jerry had a deliberate attempt to take it out, a big chimney like that may well have been on their shopping list. Anyone got any evidence they had a pop at it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 18th Jul 2011 7:21am
I've never heard of any damage caused by Adoph's Aero Club to Shore Road. I think standby emergency electric pumps were installed "just in case". These were dual fed either from L'pool Corp. electricity supplies or B'head. If one side went down, juice was still available.

There's a chapter devoted to pumping arrangements in one of my Mersey Railway books. I'll try and dig some info. out if anyone's interested. This might be more reliable info. than what's stored in the old swede !

Posted By: bert1 Re: Aerial photo 1923 - 18th Jul 2011 7:34am
I think the swede does very well, mine sometimes worries me, just a thought, i wonder if there was a no smoking at night for these big chimneys when the blackout was on, probably not if they had to keep pumping.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral