Forums
Posted By: HistoricalTony Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 9:19pm
Well as most of you are aware my dissertation plan was rejected so i am now doing an independant study on Liverpool during the Industrial Revolution so any brainstorming on this would be helpfull, hopefully will be able to invorporate the wirral into it as will be doing alot on the river mersey and what it contributed.

Fire Away guys
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 9:58pm
Shame about the dissertation plan. I know little about Liverpool in that period, but I have a copy of an old postcard with a drawing depicting 'Herculaneum Potteries and South Shore 1794' which I'm guessing was somewhere up towards Bootle. The river and Wirral is in the background and grazing cows in the foreground!
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 10:15pm
yep the wirral was pretty much rural and a fishing port sort of place then as far as i am aware, yes im annoyed when i have seen the list of peoples dissertations. i am the only one doing the industrial revolution in the independant study section aswell. why people arnt bothered about when we created our empire is beyond me!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 10:21pm
Wikipedia on Birkenhead - "Distanced from the Industrial Revolution in Liverpool by the physical barrier of the River Mersey, Birkenhead retained its agricultural status until the advent of the steam ferry service in 1820."

A bit of reading here:
www.kipnotes.com/industrial_revolution.htm

Urban Growth in Lancashire from 1770:
http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?pageid=749&language=eng

Salt and The Rise of Liverpool
http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/mrlhp/local/salt/dungeon.htm

Liverpool Manchester Railway
http://www.railexpress.co.uk/news/liverpool-manchester-railway-180th-celebrated

There is so much stuff: Would you like to refine your parameters?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 10:23pm
The Industrial Revolution - or - How We Refined The Wheel. :-)
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 10:28pm
brill im basically just portraying liverpools roll in the industrial revolution so it will probs mainly be the textiles industry and slave trading etc and the rise of the second city status, only got 7000 words so have to try and keep to the point i think. but all ideas are helpfull
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 10:35pm
Difficult to get it into 7000 words which means you need to reduce the descriptive parts to get all the cogs in which made the wheels turn.

Might it be a good idea to take the tutor for a swift pint to fathom more precisely what they might be looking for when marking? When you have something roughed out another pint might be a good idea.

Hope I am not over-egging the pudding.
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 10:47pm
haha it may be a good idea but he is generally very helpfull anyway i got assigned my personal tutor so im lucky he is boss and knows his stuff.

Posted By: Moonstar Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 11:02pm
You have everything on your side. Good luck.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Independant Study - 8th Jul 2011 11:07pm
Liverpool + Industrial Revolution - don't forget Mr Stephenson's Rainhill trials... smile
Posted By: ponytail Re: Independant Study - 9th Jul 2011 4:52am
Take yourself down to the museums in Liverpool - there is loads of relevant subject specific information available in various formats. Its better than plagurism. (not that you will succumb to this)
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independant Study - 9th Jul 2011 7:49am
Originally Posted by MissGuided
Liverpool + Industrial Revolution - don't forget Mr Stephenson's Rainhill trials... smile

i certainly will do thank you for bringing this back to my attention, being out of study mode since may and in work mode has pushed all my info to the back of mwe mind
Posted By: Helles Re: Independant Study - 9th Jul 2011 8:21am
Don't wish to be too pedantic but might get you an extra point or whatever they give these days but it is spelt independent!
Posted By: ponytail Re: Independant Study - 9th Jul 2011 10:55pm
Have you read Her Benny - its set during Victorian times in Liverpool. The play is on in New Brighton Floral Pavillion sometime soon.
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independant Study - 9th Jul 2011 11:36pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Don't wish to be too pedantic but might get you an extra point or whatever they give these days but it is spelt independent!

haha i didnt even notice i had done that
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Independant Study - 9th Jul 2011 11:39pm
On my dissertation, you lost a point for every spelling or grammatical error. I checked it thoroughly, then being an idiot, I made some last minute changes - complete with errors of course idiot
Posted By: Erainn Re: Independant Study - 10th Jul 2011 8:21am
A good point, a crucial and defining period for both the Wirral and Liverpool.As to the apparent indifference, I wonder if perhaps the subject was so pressed upon children at school (certainly was during my own time) that it lost some allure and interest?
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independant Study - 10th Jul 2011 1:56pm
i never even touched the subject of the industrial revolution until a level. really wrong its such a crucial part of our history
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independent Study - 10th Jul 2011 1:58pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
On my dissertation, you lost a point for every spelling or grammatical error. I checked it thoroughly, then being an idiot, I made some last minute changes - complete with errors of course idiot

easily done tho when ur in thinking mode isnt it
Posted By: HistoricalTony Re: Independent Study - 13th Oct 2011 2:46pm
Well here is the plan outline for the independent study

1. Project Title

2. Liverpool during the Industrial Revolution: 1700 - 1850

3. Research Objectives

In order to understand the history of Liverpool during the industrial revolution, secondary sources will be essential to review, compare and display the required information in order to give a fair reflection of life in Liverpool during the years of 1700 – 1850.

4. Introduction 500 Words

An introduction that will give an insight into the areas that will be covered regarding, Liverpool and the impact it made on the world through trade, population expansion and how it dealt with issues such as public health, housing and standards of living during those changing times.

5. Trading with Liverpool – Transport, Demand and Consumption 2500 words

A chapter documenting the impact of trade with Liverpool and how trading items such as, slaves, tobacco, sugar, cotton and textiles, turned Liverpool into the biggest port in Britain. In order to increase trade, transport options would need to be improved and this chapter will also review how canal systems in Britain, ships to and from Liverpool, Liverpool streets and roads enabled access, and railway via steam engines were created and improved to satisfy demands. As well as showing the importance of trade for Liverpool, the emancipation of slavery will be considered also, on how this effected relations with traders around the world.

6. Population and Immigration – The transition from Rural to Urban 2000 words

A chapter documenting the population transition of Liverpool from a small fishing village into an industrial boom town, where population increased quickly, from 5000-7000 in 1700 to 45,000 by 1750. Population trends to and from the town will be reviewed, explaining the transition from rural to urbanisation. As well as population influxes from rural areas, Liverpool had to deal with a mass influx of Irish Immigrants; estimated populations will be documented and reviewed to demonstrate the impact immigration had on Liverpool.

7. Living Standards in Liverpool - Public Health and Housing 2000 words

A chapter documenting how living standards in Liverpool suffered due to population increases and industrialisation during the industrial revolution. Public health was a major issue in Liverpool and contributions by Dr William Duncan and Kitty Wilkinson will be considered. Housing in Liverpool was essential, with the urbanisation of the town, the workers needed somewhere to live, housing standards and conditions will be reviewed.

8. Conclusion 500 Words

A conclusion, on Liverpool’s participation it played during the Industrial Revolution in Britain during 1700 to 1850. Giving an insight on what it was like to be living in Liverpool and how trading made the city it is today, a place that started as a village that grew to be a town and headed towards becoming a city.

9. Bibliography

A collaboration of books, articles and authors, displayed in the required Harvard Reference System standards. Historians such as Peter Mathias, Phyllis Deane, John Belchem, Hugh Thomas, David Cannadine, Eric Hobsbawm will be researched and quoted were required. Articles taken from archives such as JSTOR will also be researched and quoted when required.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral