Forums
Posted By: nightwalker A sad death in old Seacombe - 1st Jul 2011 2:08pm
I’ve come across this rather sad story in the Wallasey Parish Magazine of August, 1873.

“We regret to record the lamentable death of Miss Margaret Mary Williams, nineteen years of age, daughter of Captain J.D. Williams, of Seacombe House. The deceased along with two of her sisters went, at seven o’clock in the morning of the 18th ultimo, [July 1873] to bathe on the steps at Seacombe Point. Having undressed, she and one of her sisters went into the water on the steps and, the current being very strong, they were immediately washed into the river, the depth at that spot being at the time about eight feet. The sister fortunately succeeded in getting hold of the steps and by that means saving her life, but the deceased was unfortunately drowned”.

Anyone any idea where exactly Seacombe Point is/was? Also any info on Seacombe House? It must have been quite big as in the 1871 census there were 11 of the Williams family and 2 servants living there.
Posted By: bert1 Re: A sad death in old Seacombe - 1st Jul 2011 2:36pm
I wonder if this could be Seacombe Point, possible by land shape, 19th century map.

Attached picture sp.JPG
Posted By: nightwalker Re: A sad death in old Seacombe - 1st Jul 2011 4:44pm
A good suggestion, Bert. I really don't know - I thought I knew Wallasey past and present but I can't recall having come across Seacombe Point before. But it obviously meant something to the inhabitants in 1873!
Posted By: Geekus Re: A sad death in old Seacombe - 1st Jul 2011 8:02pm
Seacombe Point was originally the name for the area where Seacombe Ferry is now.

Land reclaimation around the entrance to Wallasey Pool has altered the appearance of this area, but it would have originally appeared far more physically as a 'point' of land than it does now.
Posted By: granny Re: A sad death in old Seacombe - 2nd Jul 2011 12:56pm
Only thing I can find is Seacombe House Boarding School. Later became known as South Seacombe Villa.Shall write extract from 'Almost an Island' by Noel E Smith.
The great English novelist, Charles Dickens is said to have stayed at The Royal Ferry Hotel.....

'Dickens had a friend who ran a boarding school in Seacombe known as 'Seacombe House Boarding School'. His name was William Giles, a Baptist minister who had once been Dickens' teacher. The building in Seacombe later became known as 'South Seacombe Villa' and stood close to Bridle Road. William Giles had previously had a school in Chatham and when he came to Wallasey, he described Seacombe as "a pretty little village in the bounds of the Mersey".

Don't know if this may help. Hope so.
Posted By: Blazeparadox Re: A sad death in old Seacombe - 2nd Jul 2011 5:05pm
Hello...I'm sure Seacombe House still exists .. it used to be owned by the council but it is now a nursing home in Demesne Street, close to Guinea Gap baths.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral