Forums
Posted By: Helles Rifles - 9th Jun 2011 9:40pm
Must have been around the late fifties? These rifles suddenly appeared and kids whose parents had the cash were all getting them. They were real one's but very old fashioned with a hammer that would have come down onto a percusion cap. I seem to remember that they had come from America or something like that. I should imagine they had been deactivated but in those days who could be sure? Certainly made cowboys and indians more interesting but they were heavy.

Can anyone else remember this or shed any light. I'm sure I am not cracking up and imagining it! May have only been in New Brighton though.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Rifles - 9th Jun 2011 9:44pm
Are you talking about the Johnny seven by any chance
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 4:29am
In the 50s Davy Crockett was my hero, i had all the gear that was available for this character, hats, suit, guns, etc. I seem to remember a cap firing rifle i had, to me as a child it seemed real enough though obviously it wasn't. Had a google and if my memory serves me right it was something similar to this,
http://www.vintage-toys.com/item.php?i=8328
Posted By: cathcart Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 4:39am
i remember the davy crockett era,there was a spate of cats losing their tails to make the hats.cowboys on the rocks in the park,great days,poor cats though!!!!
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 6:58am
thats my nick name Johny Seven laugh
Posted By: Helles Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 9:10am
I remember the Davy Crockett period quite well. It was when the film came out I think?

No honestly these were genuine rifles and having thought hard about them, I seem to remember the trigger mechanisms had been removed so the hammer just flopped about and wouldn't cock.

They were just like the one's Davy Crockett used so probably some enterprising bloke jumped on the bandwagon and managed to get his hands on them to sell to the kids. They must have been quite expensive because I could certainly not afford one. My dad wouldn't have allowed it in the house anyway!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 10:20am
As you say Helles, probably something a chap got his hands on and sold local to your area. When i had my firearms permit and was a member of a Rifle club i had the pleasure of firing a musket, caplock i think it was, ex American civil war job.
The size and weight of it is not something you would forget.
No wonder not many could afford them, even deactivated a prize worth having.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 5:55pm
Anything like these? Click
Posted By: Helles Re: Rifles - 10th Jun 2011 8:28pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Anything like these? Click

No, I know the difference between a toy and a real rifle. I used them enough in the army.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Rifles - 13th Jun 2011 7:02pm
A BB gun isn't quite a toy, to my mind at least - even if these ones were made for kids...! (I tend to think of a toy as being a cap gun or plastic imitaiton rifle or such other safe & harmless toy... but oh well never mind it doesn't matter now, anyhow...!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral