Forums
Posted By: emmski Wilson Street , Birkenhead... Help - 31st May 2011 7:00pm
The next stumbling block in my family tree quest....

James Smith Birth certificate (1915) gives his address as 11 WILSON ST. I have located WILSON ST on my 1909 street map, running between Oliver St and Claughton Rd. However I can't find it anywhere in the Kellys Birkenhead directories for 1914, 1923 etc and am a bit stumped. I see from Google maps that it is no longer exists. I thought Kellys listed every street??.Anyone any knowledge or info of Wilson st or ideas to help me find further details? My 1909 map also shows a Pub on the corner of Wilson and Oliver?

Thanks in advance.

Emma
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wilson Street , Birkenhead... Help - 1st Jun 2011 6:19am
Its in Willmers 1916

Attached picture wilson st.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Wilson Street , Birkenhead... Help - 1st Jun 2011 6:29am
copied from Birkenhead message board

Re: Conway Schhool - Birkenhead Tech 1955-59 by pat cropper nee lyons (Member 10130002) on 19-Aug-2004
This is a bit later than when I was in birkenhead.I left in 1952 but up to then lived in Wilson street, the LITTLE BROWN JUG was at the top next to what we called the swings field, before that it had the large air-raid shelter on. Mr and Mrs Fair had the pub with two sons,the elder was
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wilson Street , Birkenhead... Help - 1st Jun 2011 7:40am
hope these help
Number 11 seems to be the derelict or bombed house we used to play in, getting in from the bombie (the field) behind it

Description: 1950s map St Johns ST still here
Attached picture oliver_st.jpg

Description: looking down Wilsonafter demolished to see St Andrews Square
Attached picture combermere.jpg
Attached picture Combermere_Hotel.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Wilson Street , Birkenhead... Help - 1st Jun 2011 12:57pm
Originally Posted by emmski
I have located WILSON ST on my 1909 street map, running between Oliver St and Claughton Rd. However I can't find it anywhere in the Kellys Birkenhead directories for 1914, 1923 etc and am a bit stumped. I see from Google maps that it is no longer exists. I thought Kellys listed every street??.

You have to remember that Gore's/Kelly's directories were primarily commercial directories - ie they were interested in listing commercial premises and businesses, not private houses. As a result many small streets that just contained residential properties were ignored.
Posted By: emmski Re: Wilson Street , Birkenhead... Help - 6th Jun 2011 11:54am
Thanks for that. The Smith family aren't listed at number 11. I guess they could have moved or maybe they were boarders and not listed. Very grateful for your efforts.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral