Forums
Posted By: steviebyday relative served ww1 - 21st May 2011 6:18pm
anyone know where i can gain information on my grandfathers war service, tried ancestry no luck not having much information does not help at all,he was a birkenhead lad. would old wirral newspapers help, he was wounded,is there much information in birkenhead library.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: relative served ww1 - 21st May 2011 7:13pm
Hi you should be able to get his medal card on ancestry!
Do you have his service number or any medals?
do you know which regiment?

let me know what info you have and we will take it from there.
Posted By: cameraman Re: relative served ww1 - 21st May 2011 8:11pm
If it's WW1 then you will get the stuff on ancestry but a lot of the records were destroyed during WW2.If you look at most of the stuff it looks burnt. A lot of my great grandafathers stuff is missing. If you can find his regiment then the regiment hold some records, the stuff I was searching for were held by the RWF and I even found out how he died from the regiment war diary. If it's WW2 onwards then you have to apply to the records office of the army ( type WW2 army records on google) explain who you are and they will find his records, they will make a charge for the search, £20-£30,but only they hold the records, the more info you can give them the better . If he is still alive, then the search is free but he has to apply. You must be NOK ( Next of Kin) child, grandchild etc)
Posted By: Geekus Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 6:59am
If he was from Birkenhead I imagine he would probably have enlisted in the Cheshire Regiment.

The Cheshire Regiment Museum down in Chester may be able to help you. They have a very good website with lots of useful links & general info.
Posted By: Geekus Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 7:38am
Link for the above.

http://www.cheshiremilitarymuseum.co.uk/ thumbsup
Posted By: Helles Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 8:03am
Have you got any photographs of him in uniform? Might be able to see what unit he belonged to.

Most guys joined the Cheshires from around here but equally a lot joined the Kings or Artillery Regiments etc.
Posted By: alan128 Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 9:18am
you could look in Birkenhead Library at the absent voters books, if its first world war, but you would need an address or you will have to go through all the books.
Alan
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 10:50am
M&FG Military and Family Genealogy
Peter Threlfall and Judith Beastall
[email protected]
They are on the Wirral and will find out all the info that is available on your Grandad. They researched for me and only charged £15. Highly recommend their service. I have their phone numbers too if you have no luck with the email.
Posted By: Helles Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 11:27am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
[email protected]
They are on the Wirral and will find out all the info that is available on your Grandad. They researched for me and only charged £15. Highly recommend their service. I have their phone numbers too if you have no luck with the email.

Peter is a mate of mine. Good lad and knows his stuff on WW1.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 11:42am
Yes he is A really nice guy and genuinely loves his work!
Posted By: steviebyday Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 11:45am
as i have already said i have no possitive information at all, he was samuel mason born tranmere 1898,i know for sure he was wounded, i do have information on a man from the royal welsh fusiliers,he has two army numbers 11354 and 202583. i have his medal card but no way of knowing if this is the right person, thats why i was wondering, if he was wounded would it be mentioned in the local press at the time.
Posted By: bert1 Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 11:46am
Plenty of good people on here to help you Stevie, if i may make a suggestion, have a lay down in a darkened room and when you wake up, take up Airfix model making.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 11:54am
He could be mentioned in local papers,but a lot were also reported in the local papers where maybe they had barracks.

Have you not got medals or a picture,also silver war badge was given to wounded soldiers and can be looked up at the national archives.
Posted By: bert1 Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 11:55am
Originally Posted by steviebyday
as i have already said i have no possitive information at all, he was samuel mason born tranmere 1898,i know for sure he was wounded, i do have information on a man from the royal welsh fusiliers,he has two army numbers 11354 and 202583. i have his medal card but no way of knowing if this is the right person, thats why i was wondering, if he was wounded would it be mentioned in the local press at the time.

If my memory serves me right, one number would be his regimental No and the other his Battalion No.
Posted By: Helles Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 12:12pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Originally Posted by steviebyday

If my memory serves me right, one number would be his regimental No and the other his Battalion No.

Not so Bert. He obviously served with two different Regiments. Unlike today when your army number follows you everywhere (unless you get a commission) in the first war, each Regiment had its own numbers. Confused? You will be.

Peter can tell a lot from those numbers anyway. I think he has a full list of men who served in the Cheshires or at least certain battalions of the Cheshires, Best ring him. He is very approachable.

Just a thought, if he was wounded then he might after recovering have been sent to a reinforcement depot and remustered to another Regiment hence the number change. It is even possible his first battalion was so decimated in the action he was wounded in that they may have been disbanded and survivors spread amongst other Regiments. Happened a lot.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 12:20pm
Maybe try to find his address on 1911 census and then try the absent voters list.
Many soldiers had lots of service numbers,as already said.
Posted By: steviebyday Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 4:57pm
he lived in leighton rd tranmere, had 5 brothers ,2 sisters acording to the 1911 census. his brother hambleton was killed in france 1917 with the royal inniskilling fusiliers would you believe.
Posted By: cameraman Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 5:12pm
Found Hambletons records in 30 seconds just by the info you gave above.
Name: Hambleton Mason
Birth Place: Birkenhead, Cheshire
Residence: Birkenhead
Death Date: 16 Aug 1917
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Chester
Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
Battalion: 8th Battalion
Number: 41935
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
Comments: Formerly 62125, Cheshire Regiment.
Posted By: cameraman Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 6:49pm
Spent a couple of hours on Samuel but afraid I can't find anything my end. The Cheshire Regt records would be the way to go with the other posters. Have searched RAMC and RA records
Posted By: bert1 Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 7:31pm
Originally Posted by Helles
[quote=bert1][quote=

Not so Bert. He obviously served with two different Regiments. Unlike today when your army number follows you everywhere (unless you get a commission) in the first war, each Regiment had its own numbers. Confused? You will be.

Confusing it is Helles, i know my memory banks are going and i probably need more RAM. During WW1 or there abouts, it was highly likely soldiers shared the same numbers but were in different regiments, also some serving soldiers had 2 numbers and never moved regiments, i think I'm right in saying they had a 4 digit Number changed to a 6 digit Number, Very confusing if one is looking for someone who served before and after the change.
Posted By: hogeybear Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 7:53pm
[email protected]

Peter is my husband and yes I think he maybe able to help you!!! I am the second love of his life after this topic! lol
Get in touch with him smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 8:06pm
Aww hello, have met your hubby a few times at history fairs. X
Posted By: hogeybear Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 8:11pm
and I am sure you will see him at many more! lol
WW1 is a real passion for him and I know he has helped many people with their research and made alot of people happy with the end result smile
Posted By: Helles Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 9:45pm
Originally Posted by hogeybear
[email protected]

Peter is my husband and yes I think he maybe able to help you!!! I am the second love of his life after this topic! lol
Get in touch with him smile

Hi Jo. laugh
Posted By: hogeybear Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 10:16pm
Who is the mystery Helles that knows Peter and I????
Posted By: hogeybear Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 10:20pm
Posted By: hogeybear Re: relative served ww1 - 22nd May 2011 10:27pm
Hi Steviebyday,

I'm the Pete Threlfall who some people have mentioned. One person is a little behind the times, as M&FG now charge £25 per biography/family tree we research. If I can be of any help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Posted By: soldier13 Re: relative served ww1 - 23rd May 2011 2:42pm
Please contact me via soldier13 rather than hogeybear as that is my wifes user name!!! Thanks
Originally Posted by hogeybear
Hi Steviebyday,

I'm the Pete Threlfall who some people have mentioned. One person is a little behind the times, as M&FG now charge £25 per biography/family tree we research. If I can be of any help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Posted By: soldier13 Re: relative served ww1 - 23rd May 2011 4:39pm
Hi, mate,

How's tricks?

Thanks for the kind words about me. We must meet up for a pint sometime, and have a yak. The research is going from strength to strength, and we are getting noticed more and more. I'm still serving.....just (25 years!). It doesn't seem that long ago that I was a snott-nosed kid asking my new found best mate about his 9 (?) years in the Signals, and should I go for a cadetship with the Post Office! And working under the bible bashing Phil Simpson!

Please give us a call, and we'll have a good chat, mate.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: relative served ww1 - 23rd May 2011 8:36pm
Hi
You researched my relative Albert Fletcher. As you said this was a few years ago so of course your fee will have gone up!
Worth every penny though.
Posted By: soldier13 Re: relative served ww1 - 24th May 2011 9:40pm
Thanks for that, Bezzymate
© Wirral-Wikiwirral