Forums
Posted By: Wal79 Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 16th May 2011 10:53pm
Can anyone help with some pictures of Oliver Street, say 40's to 50's? My mother in law lived there and found out my mum lived around the corner near to the Garroch (spelt right?) Snug around the same time.

Many thanks and would love to see what ya got?
Posted By: Helles Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 1:17pm
Originally Posted by Wal79
Can anyone help with some pictures of Oliver Street, say 40's to 50's? My mother in law lived there and found out my mum lived around the corner near to the Garroch (spelt right?) Snug around the same time.

Garrick. Can't help with anything else sorry.
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 8:22pm
Originally Posted by Helles

Garrick. Can't help with anything else sorry.

Couldnt remember the spelling, coincidentally my mother in laws maiden name was Garroch.

If anyone could show pictures of Oliver Street or the surrounding area would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 8:46pm
Oliver st was/is parallel to Grange rd and roughly the same length - may be best if you put a house number so we can see what part you are after.
There are pics of St Johns school in the Grange rd topic and in the pubs section the Firemans Arms, Combermere and Little Brown Jug all in Oliver st.
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 8:53pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Oliver st was/is parallel to Grange rd and roughly the same length - may be best if you put a house number so we can see what part you are after.
There are pics of St Johns school in the Grange rd topic and in the pubs section the Firemans Arms, Combermere and Little Brown Jug all in Oliver st.

Having spoke with my mother in law she lived at number 129 Oliver Street, nowadays it would be near or close to the British Heart Foundation shop or close to Milton Pavement?

Hope this helps?

Could you give me a link to the thread to which you refer?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 9:10pm
She must have lived by a family called the o'donnells and I think nearly opposite a builders yard called Boyds? and the back of Senars.I lived in Oliver Place just by the swings

Attached picture oliver st.jpg
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 9:14pm
She must have lived by a family called the o'donnells and I think nearly opposite a builders yard called Boyds? and the back of Senars.I lived in Oliver Place just by the swings

She did know the O'Donnells lived opposite Harrison Rankin, would your name be Derek Cowderoy?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 9:18pm
guilty as charged
Do I know her (pm me if you want to tell her name)
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 9:29pm
guilty as charged
Do I know her (pm me if you want to tell her name)

You have PM smile
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 10:28pm
Anyone have any pictures?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 17th May 2011 10:49pm
May be some in Birkenhead reference library or the Archive in the Cheshire Lines building
Posted By: Wizzo Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 18th May 2011 1:55am
Hi all. I used to live around the corner in "Claughton" Road and remember "Oliver" Street well, next to the "Brown Jug" public house was a childrens playground, on the left of that Was a very narrow street called "Back Oliver Place" (Cobbled Street ) when you came out of "Back Oliver Place" and walked down to Oliver Street itself, their Was a Chippie owned by Mrs "Rossi's", further up Was a Carter Buisness who rented Handcarts, everyone used to move furniture by handcart then, ( no stigma in them days ) after that was the "Wirral Boxing Club", situated behind the "Queens" working mans social club ( men only ) then their was the rear of the "Ritz" Picture House, with The "Firemans Arms" public house nussled in the back of it, still standing, still serving beer. bless em, at the other end of "Oliver" Street was The "Combermere Hotel" public house, then five or six reidential houses then their was "Senars" engineering co., they first kicked of in a corrugated little premise here. "St. Johns" Primary School C/E was next, Oh! by the way the vicar at the time of "St.Johns" Primary School and "St.Johns" Church, situated in "Huskisson" Street was the Rev. "Albert Howarth" who was from "Bolton",( and wore clogs! ) this was in 1951 onwards, incidently I started school at the age of 4 years of age at St Johns School. St.John Street separated Oliver Street incorporating "The Garrick Snug" public house, on continuation of "Oliver" Street, were streets named after Mediterranean countries, "Cyprus" Street, and "Malta" Street to name but two. at the top of "Oliver" Street near to Charing Cross was "Hardings" Co. Coaches. I am sorry if my reply seems long winded..... but you came across, as very interested in your quest for local knowledge of "Oliver" Street, sorry I can't help with the pictures, I to would dearly love to see them like you, but I can only give you the pictures in my Memory, of the neibourhood, I loved and grew up in. I do hope it helps. smile
Posted By: bri445 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 18th May 2011 9:39am
Couldnt remember the spelling, coincidentally my mother in laws maiden name was Garroch.

I went to St Anselm's with a Francis Garroch. Must be a relative?
Bri
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 18th May 2011 8:33pm
I will ask my mother in law if Francis was a relative.

Love hearing all the information of the surrounding area. Hunt is on for some pics laugh
Posted By: cathcart Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 19th May 2011 4:42am
just thinking while were in the area any pictures of marion street out there please.
Posted By: bri445 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 20th May 2011 2:37pm
Have sent you a PM.
Bri
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 21st May 2011 2:07am
I can't find any photos from the 40s or 50s, but I've dug out a few interesting ones of the area from the mid-60s. Hope these revive a few memories...

Description: Combermere Hotel
Attached picture Combermere Hotel.jpg

Description: St John's Primary School & Senar's
Attached picture St John's Primary School.jpg

Description: Senar's again
Attached picture Senar's.jpg

Description: Hampton House, corner of Hampton Street
Attached picture Hampton House.jpg

Description: Cromwell Street Playground
Attached picture Cromwell Street Playground.jpg

Description: 14-16 Oliver Place
Attached picture 14-16 Oliver Place.jpg

Description: Pym Street
Attached picture Pym Street.jpg

Description: Spiritualist Church, opposite Prince's Terrace
Attached picture Spiritualist Church.jpg

Description: Former Wesleyan Chapel, Wesley Street
Attached picture Wesley Street.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 21st May 2011 9:28am
Brilliant - thanks
next to Hampton House was the sunday school
In Wesley st pic you can just make out the side of the Manchester Arms

bowdown
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 22nd May 2011 1:21pm
Awesome pics, will show them to my mother in law, I am sure we have some pictures somewhere of a street party, will dig them out laugh
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd May 2011 8:47pm
Found a couple of slightly older ones, though they're not the best quality...

Description: 100-122 Oliver Street, heading up towards the Combermere
Attached picture 100-122 Oliver Street.jpg

Description: Another shot of Hampton Street
Attached picture Hampton Street.jpg
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd May 2011 8:53pm
Originally Posted by marty99fred
Found a couple of slightly older ones, though they're not the best quality...

Cracking pics!!!! As I said in earlier posts my mother in law, Jenny, lived in number 129 Oliver Street, backed on Senars? I will be sure to show these pics when I next visit. If there are any more it would be much appreciated laugh

Andy
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd May 2011 9:29pm
On a seperate note has anyone got pictures of Collingwood Street as that was where my mum grew up.

Thanks

Andy
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 28th May 2011 7:59pm
Is that the Derek Cowderoy that worked at J&E Hall surely there
cant be two with that name if it is i worked with you
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 20th Aug 2011 8:06pm
Is anyone able to help with more pics?
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 22nd Sep 2011 6:58pm
i used to deliver papers in oliver st for the shop on the corner of Atherton st & Claughton rd in the 50s i lived at 263
Claughton rd i used to do the fire station & Exmouth st
Posted By: Wal79 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 18th Nov 2011 8:18am
Would there be any more photographs?

I showed my mother in law and she was over joyed laugh
Posted By: dozman Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 22nd Dec 2016 9:19am
Originally Posted by Wizzo
Hi all. I used to live around the corner in "Claughton" Road and remember "Oliver" Street well, next to the "Brown Jug" public house was a childrens playground, on the left of that Was a very narrow street called "Back Oliver Place" (Cobbled Street ) when you came out of "Back Oliver Place" and walked down to Oliver Street itself, their Was a Chippie owned by Mrs "Rossi's",

Hi, Mrs Rossi was my nan. I entered this forum to find some pictures of my Mum's street and it's so nice to read my nan being referenced smile

I was wondering if anyone had any photographs of my nan's chippy or the street in general?
Posted By: joney Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd Dec 2016 10:21am
Was Mrs Rossi part of the Rossi family who a milk bar/ice cream parlour.
Posted By: dozman Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd Dec 2016 2:24pm
Originally Posted by joney
Was Mrs Rossi part of the Rossi family who a milk bar/ice cream parlour.

Hi yes she was, did you know the family?
Posted By: joney Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd Dec 2016 2:44pm
I only knew them as a customer as I also knew the Fabris and Mazonis. (Not sure of the spelling).
Posted By: dozman Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd Dec 2016 2:55pm
Ah ok I will be sure to mention your comments to my Mum. Thanks
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 23rd Dec 2016 5:07pm
My eldest brother used to live in Oliver Street and I can remember going to Fabri's for ice cream . Happy days.
Posted By: joney Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 25th Dec 2016 11:12am
When I was in my early teens the Fabri family lived in the Woodlands and had an Alsatian guard dog which I used to exercise for them so had a lot of contact with the family but this ceased when they moved to Beryl Rd. Mr Fabri spoke broken English but I only heard his wife speak Italian. Most of the communication was through the daughter Flo'.
Posted By: petaann Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 20th Mar 2017 10:59am
Hi Can't help with the picture but i am searching for a William Williamson who lived at 129 Oliver Street in 1916/17. I'd also love to have a photo. If i find one first i will let you have it. Good luck with your search x
Posted By: OllieBobs Re: Oliver Street, Birkenhead pic request - 1st Mar 2018 3:27pm
Hi all, I came across this site in a Google search for photos of Oliver Street. I'm not sure how it works? I'm unable to see the pictures posted, do I need to be a paying member to view them?
My dad lived in 131 Oliver street next door to the Garroch's. The Pentland family. He's told me about everything the Garroch's did for them. He also remembers the Rossi family and other things mentioned in this forum.
I only remember it as car parks. I'd love to see what the street looked like. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance 👍🏼😄
© Wirral-Wikiwirral