Forums
Posted By: hsellis thurstaston railway station - 1st May 2011 5:35pm
i am very interested in aquring a postcard of thurstaton railway station - i know they are very rare - is anyone out there who has one and his willing to part with it
Posted By: Helles Re: thurstaston railway station - 1st May 2011 7:00pm
Don't ever recall seeing one but there are photo's on here

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/thurstaston/index.shtml
Posted By: derekdwc Re: thurstaston railway station - 1st May 2011 8:53pm
looking at the 1909 picture what would be the house on the left.
I don't think it would have been Thurstaston Hall as it seems too close to the station - possibly stationmasters house
Posted By: Historybook Re: thurstaston railway station - 1st May 2011 9:32pm
It looks like a station masters house, to be honest there is someting in the back of my mind it was there in more modern times, but then i could be wrong !.

I noticed the other week that the station masters house in Parkgate is due to be demolished, another bit of history vanishing !.
Posted By: chriskay Re: thurstaston railway station - 2nd May 2011 6:44am
The house looks to me like the right hand one of the group of four shown on the 1912 OS map. I think the stationmaster's house (if indeed there was one) may be the single house to the left of the group of four. There's a track leading down from it to the station.

Attached picture Thurstaston station.jpg
Posted By: hsellis Re: thurstaston railway station - 2nd May 2011 9:09am
thanks for your replys - really good looking at the photos
Posted By: MissGuided Re: thurstaston railway station - 2nd May 2011 9:32am
I didn't realise Station Rd ran right down onto the beach!
Posted By: w10694 Re: thurstaston railway station - 2nd May 2011 10:01am
I have some video somewhere of Uranium Ore being unloaded out of railway wagons into a huge pile (huge - as in HUGE !) at Thurstatston Station, bound for Capenhurst no doubt. Several stations on the line were used for storage. I think it's on a Wirral Steam Railway DVD.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral