Forums
Posted By: keving My House, in Wallasey. Any History ??? Rake Lane - 24th Apr 2011 12:31pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hi Moved here in January this year. Built in 1882, in the Rake Lane Cemetery grounds WALLASEY.
Can't find any confirmed history on the place. Can anyone help ??

Thanks,
Kev.
Posted By: Wench Re: My House, in Wallasey. Any History ??? Rake Lane - 24th Apr 2011 12:33pm
I wanted to live there so badly!! It looks such a stunning building. You lucky bugger raftl
Originally Posted by Wench
I wanted to live there so badly!! It looks such a stunning building. You lucky bugger raftl

Well that's a bit of history i didn't know blush

thanks
withthat
Originally Posted by nightwalker
withthat

Beautifully stunning building...I want to live there too!!
grin
Kev, I heard there was a tunnel leading upto the church in that house is that true?

Welcome by the way happy

Oh also if you goto earlston library there are books there that list everyone who has lived in that house since it was built wink
Hi Ste,
Nope no tunnel unfortunately , not unless there is a hidden hatch somewhere under the carpets... No basement either. Not all the ground floor, floors are solid tho, so you do have me thinking smirk

I'll pop along to the library then, what section should I look in? Wouldn't know where to start really!

Cheers,
Kev.
Go upstairs to the reference section at Earlston Library and ask at the enquiry desk there. I don't know which books Ste has seen but you might find what you want by looking through the local directories.

Failing that, check out some of the local web-sites on Rake Lane Cemetery. There are quite a few, including the 'Friends of Rake Lane Cemetery'. You might find some useful info on one of them. laugh

I used to live just across the road but we left in 1968.
My mum has just told me that it was a Mrs Fleming who lived there whilst we were in Rake Lane. She had a son who was unusually tall and she used to give us apples that she had grown.

Apparently, Mrs Fleming would take enquiries concerning the graves and would find them for anyone who had loved ones buried there.
A lovely house.
Originally Posted by kermit
A lovely house.
withthat
Lovely house and its funny but I wouldn't have liked to live there as a kid but cemeteries I find quite peaceful places now minus the vandals of course.

Look after my family, got loads buried in there but I suppose most of us have who live locally.

I assume it was built the same time as the cemetery being the lodge, so if you go to Birkenhead reference library and look at the street directories, it will tell you who has lived there over the years. Wallasey sadly only has a partial set due to them being destroyed by bombing in the war. I think one or two might have got nicked as well. A curse on anyone who does that and deprives people who also want to look things up but play the game.
Helles the books I looked at when I was younger were huge and heavy, no way they could of been stolen as they were only for libary use.
They were on the upper floor where the Internet cafe is now. (going back about 12 years ago).
I remember they were big red books, really old.
Kev if you can find them and find out who lived there you could try searching google, you may find some results smile
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Helles the books I looked at when I was younger were huge and heavy, no way they could of been stolen as they were only for libary use.
They were on the upper floor where the Internet cafe is now. (going back about 12 years ago).
I remember they were big red books, really old.
Kev if you can find them and find out who lived there you could try searching google, you may find some results smile

You don't want to put money on that do you? They are big red books but in Wallasey they are just on the open shelves, whereas in Birkenhead you have to ask for them. Have a word with Jenny the reference librarian and she will confirm that they have been nicked in the past. The best ways to find out the info is to use those directories and/or the voters registers and of course the census. If you are on ancestry then a lot of the info is probably on that, up to 1911 of course!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My House, in Wallasey. Any History ??? Rake Lane - 24th Apr 2011 10:18pm
I love this house so much
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My House, in Wallasey. Any History ??? Rake Lane - 24th Apr 2011 10:57pm
think http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/lettings/1139037 by this it's still up for rent? looks nice inside smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My House, in Wallasey. Any History ??? Rake Lane - 24th Apr 2011 11:03pm
A very nice house, a stones throw from my Nan's house and I have very often looked over at it when I've parked up in the car park of New Brighton cricket club on the odd times I've fancied a sly smoke!

In fact, you will probably have seen me looking very dodgy parked up at all times of the day and night.

Is the 350Z yours?
I remember looking inside when it was first abandoned & the council were looking for offers, but mine was rejected. It was in a pretty poor condition & there was a large safe in the front room. One good thing is that you don't have any gardening to do & I guess you could always renovate the public toilets as a hobby & open them again!
Originally Posted by zippy
think http://www.homesandproperty.co.uk/lettings/1139037 by this it's still up for rent? looks nice inside smile

cheers for that I'll get onto them! I bought it Late Jan this year.
Originally Posted by Alex85
A very nice house, a stones throw from my Nan's house and I have very often looked over at it when I've parked up in the car park of New Brighton cricket club on the odd times I've fancied a sly smoke!

In fact, you will probably have seen me looking very dodgy parked up at all times of the day and night.

Is the 350Z yours?

Haha no not noticed you!! Yep the Ginger 350Z is mine. You've prob saw my 2 dogs barking at the gate too then if you've seen that!
Originally Posted by Tatey
I remember looking inside when it was first abandoned & the council were looking for offers, but mine was rejected. It was in a pretty poor condition & there was a large safe in the front room. One good thing is that you don't have any gardening to do & I guess you could always renovate the public toilets as a hobby & open them again!

I'm guessing that was around 1995 ?? Thats when the people I bought it from purchased it from the council, think they paid about £55k, and one of the conditions was that they fix it up to be a living dwelling.
Are you talking about the big sandstone out house? Did that used to be toilets? They've since had a new roof on and I used them as a sort of garage and workshop.
As for the gardening, I wish the council did mine! They only do the cemetery and the front of my house, got a large rear and side garden that i've got to do. It was quite open at the rear until I erected an 8foot fence cool

If you look at the cemetary side of your outhouse, you will notice the bricked up entrance from when it was a toilet.
I did mean the front garden of course & yes, you do have quite a large rear garden to look after as well, but must be good for vegetables etc.
Nice place though, lucky man.
Ahhhhhhh right. I think we're crossed.
part of my house has a doorway bricked up to the cemetery, i'm guessing that was the toilets. Always wondered why it has a drainpipe on the side but no water or drain inside. Makes sense now.
It's just another room in the house now. I've got 7 rooms downstairs.

The outhouse did have a single toilet in it, but has 3 rooms and isn't big enough to have been public toilets, I think it was something to do with the mortuary at some point. It still has a locked steel door that leads to the cemetery grounds.

Yes it's nice that the gardeners do the front garden, it's not my garden really just looks like it, they mow the lawn like every 2 days!!
Is that the large, bricked up, archway you are refering to? Always that it looked pretty old and a bit out of character with the out-houses.

Could be something totally unconnected with the toilets you mention. confused
Yes thats something totally differant,
It's just an archway that was an entrance/exit to and from the cemetery to my garden. I'd expect that the coffins may have gone through it at some point, perhaps from the outhouse next to it.
It's been bricked up with newish looking sandstone I presume just to secure the boundary's of the house.

It's quite low the arch so I put dog pooo on it to disuade kids from climbing over it to get into my garden. Now the summer is on it's way it's getting, non smelling, anti intruder spikes instead doh
It's a curious thing that archway and, as I meant to say, I always thought it looked rather old. I mean, why have a seperate entrance to the cemetery just yards from the main gate? Maybe the archway pre-dates the cemetery itself??

Anyway, hope those spikes do the job for you! laugh

no i think it's from the same time 1882, it's not an entrance/exit to the road, just the the garden/outhouse. I think coffins went through it.

If the spikes don't do the job, my dogs get to do there job!!
...whatever it takes, mate! laugh

lamethrower hammer whippy
Originally Posted by keving
Originally Posted by Tatey

I'm guessing that was around 1995 ?? Thats when the people I bought it from purchased it from the council, think they paid about £55k, and one of the conditions was that they fix it up to be a living dwelling.
Are you talking about the big sandstone out house? Did that used to be toilets? They've since had a new roof on and I used them as a sort of garage and workshop.
As for the gardening, I wish the council did mine! They only do the cemetery and the front of my house, got a large rear and side garden that i've got to do. It was quite open at the rear until I erected an 8foot fence cool

The previous sale was the 20th October 1995 and it was bought for £22k according to Zoopla.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: My House, in Wallasey. Any History ??? Rake Lane - 26th Apr 2011 11:00am
Originally Posted by keving
Originally Posted by Alex85

Is the 350Z yours?

Haha no not noticed you!! Yep the Ginger 350Z is mine. You've prob saw my 2 dogs barking at the gate too then if you've seen that!

I have indeed seen and heard your dogs. Small world! I'll give you a wave if I spot you.
keving clear your messages please would like to pm you, pm me also smile
thx
© Wirral-Wikiwirral