Forums
Posted By: cookiemonster any info on this record? - 3rd Apr 2011 9:10pm
[img]http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2693203[/img]

never heard of the artist, don't have a release date for it. but it must be pretty rare and not many left in the world.

Attached picture song for wirral.gif
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: any info on this record? - 3rd Apr 2011 9:18pm
I have a copy of this didnt know it was rare tho?
Posted By: Geekus Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 8:47am
Don's a local guy (originally from Wallasey, I think). Writes a lot of songs about Wirral. Loves the place.

I agree with Trancentral that 'The Wirral Song' isn't as rare as you might imagine. Some Wirral libraries used to sell it. Received a lot of backing by the council as it helped promote the area.

Posted By: Geekus Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 8:56am
...he's got his own web-site if your interested - donwoods.co.uk

google
Posted By: nightwalker Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 11:53am
I used to work with Don back in the early 1960s (and even played in his group a few times) - a very talented guy.

Haven't seen him for years but funnily enough I was thinking about him a couple of weeks ago when the local rags reported that "A WIRRAL woman has been inspired to create a song in honour of the peninsula – and says more people need to know about us. Aptly titled ‘The Wirral Song’, Annie McKenna, or Annie Mac as she’s known in the business, thinks it’s about time Wirral had its own tune after realising how much appeal the area has". Not a very well researched article as Don's been doing it for years - she's even pinched his song title!!

Posted By: Geekus Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 4:37pm
Looking at his web-site it looks like Don's recorded several Cd's of songs about the Wirral and also produced quite a few videos.

Seems like he's quite the local ambassador!

Posted By: philmch Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 5:24pm
I can only say that Don Woods wrote some of the most appalling mawkish guff I've ever heard. It's too cheesy even for Billy Butler and Radio Murkyside. Avoid at all costs.
Posted By: Geekus Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 6:03pm
Perhaps that explains why his web-site also mentions something about him writing stuff for the Krankies!! raftl

Oh, well. Each to their own, eh? Anyway, I'm sure there are those who must like him well enough as he seems to be making a living at it. And if he's doing his bit for the Wirral it sounds like he has a good heart.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: any info on this record? - 4th Apr 2011 6:37pm
has anyone bought his dvd Wirral Now and can say if it's any good
This DVD takes a look at some of the many changes that have taken place in Wirral over the last 25 years.

Fields become supermarkets... speed bumps, cycle tracks and bye-passes appear,baths and hotels get demolished,New Brighton is redeveloped before your eyes etc etc...together with narration and original songs and music and of course stunning scenery it is a must for all lovers of this wonderful area.

Attached picture wirral now2.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral