Forums
Posted By: leelad03 oldest part of the Wirral? - 24th Mar 2011 10:10pm
Just wondering whats the oldest part of the Wirral? i know Eastham goes back to the saxon right? is there older than this?

Bromburough seems really old? or is that victorian?....

Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 25th Mar 2011 7:48am
theres evidence of flint knapping in new brighton i believe, which is interesting as theres no flint in the local vicinity

meols shoreline has the ancient sunken forest which shows up after big tides, amongst these tree stumps can be seen post holes from structures. Wether they are housing or pens ive no idea but have seen a few of them over the years
Posted By: Archaeo Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 25th Mar 2011 9:15am
the earliest recorded human activity is mesolithic flint scatters in Greasby

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/archaeology/field/projects/prehistoric/greasby.aspx
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 25th Mar 2011 11:27am
I'm surprised that there isn't much in the way of fishing villages on the Wirral, there is certainly enough coastline.

Perhaps its just my ignorance, but I'm only aware of a couple of mentions.
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 25th Mar 2011 11:44am
I could be wrong but i believe there are stones some where in Bromborough that where left from Glaciers in the Ice Age????
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 25th Mar 2011 12:18pm
Originally Posted by ghostly1
I could be wrong but i believe there are stones some where in Bromborough that where left from Glaciers in the Ice Age????

There are some erratics (large boulders from the Ice Age) in Mayer Park in Bebington.....not sure if they were dropped by the glacier were they now are or whether Joseph Mayer put them there as an attraction.
Posted By: Billynomates Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 26th Mar 2011 8:56am
There's another in Central Park Wallasey just by the walled garden.
Posted By: yoller Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 26th Mar 2011 11:20am
Dinosaur footprints from 200million years ago were found in the sandstone in Storeton Woods in 1838. Wikipaedia says: 'The species was named Chirotherium Storetonese after the site of discovery. Examples of these footprints can be seen in World Museum Liverpool and the Williamson Art Gallery in Birkenhead, and also in Christ Church, Kings Road, Bebington.'
Posted By: Geekus Re: oldest part of the Wirral? - 27th Mar 2011 1:04pm
Seen some of them at Birkenhead Priory too. thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral