Forums
Posted By: masterbun Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 5:52pm
Does anyone recall the Birkenhead Police boxes. I do not mean the Tardis type, but the ones which has a triangular box on top of a post with a light on top which used to flash when there was a message for the beat bobby. One door had an emergency phone for Fire, Police and Ambulance the other was locked for police use only.
The only one I can recall was on the corner of Bidston Rd and Kingsmead Rd South.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 6:15pm
Originally Posted by masterbun
Does anyone recall the Birkenhead Police boxes. I do not mean the Tardis type, but the ones which has a triangular box on top of a post with a light on top which used to flash when there was a message for the beat bobby. One door had an emergency phone for Fire, Police and Ambulance the other was locked for police use only.
The only one I can recall was on the corner of Bidston Rd and Kingsmead Rd South.
Good grief masterbun, how old are you?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 6:25pm

You mean like this one in Upton Village?

Attached picture policebox.jpg
Posted By: masterbun Re: Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 6:52pm
Yep, that's the blighter !!
I'm not that old - they were still around in the 50's and early 60's. Whether they still worked is another matter.
Just interesting pieces of street furniture. Probably more useful than some of the black and gold stuff around to-day.
Thank you.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 7:50pm
There was one of those "Call posts" at the junction of Ennerdale Road and Woodchurch Road when I was a kid. From memory it was removed when all the phones in the area went over from manual to dial. That would be 1956 ish (?) when Mountwood Exchange came on line.

I never recalled seeing the light flashing to attract Mr Plod's attention, but I do remember seeing the bobby unlock the police door and make a call.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 9:17pm
Just a wander down memory lane. The one in Bidston Rd was were me and the wife to be used to meet before I got a car (Morgan 3 wheeler). She lived at one end and I was at the other - it was sort of half way.
Posted By: Quank Re: Birkenhead Police boxes - 24th Mar 2011 9:39pm
I remember one on Leasowe Road near to Leasoweside. There was also one built into the wall of the police hut on Twickenham Drive, Leasowe
© Wirral-Wikiwirral