Forums
Posted By: Lyn123 Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 17th Mar 2011 8:01pm
Hi,
I have been a member for a while now but never felt brave enough to post. I love reading the history information section in particular, and now I want to ask a question. Does anyone have a photo of Wilton Street? It has been demolished now. It was situated off Conway Street and ran between Keighley Street and Hope Street. I have been tracing my family history and it seems that my Grandfather's family came from there. I would be so grateful if someone could help. Even if there are no photos, if someone could remember the road, that would be great. Thank you smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 17th Mar 2011 10:39pm
Hi, Lyn. Looks as if it was a cul-de-sac off Hope St.
1910 map.

Attached picture Wilton St..jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 17th Mar 2011 10:46pm
Looks like it had recently been flattened in 1971

Attached picture Wilton-Street-1971.jpg
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 18th Mar 2011 4:25pm
Thanks Chriskay and Diggingdeeper. I really appreciate the map and photo. It does make a difference actually seeing an image and not just imagining where a place was. I wonder how long ago it went off the map? Maybe it was bombed during the war? If anyone knows, I would be very interested.
I must say that this site is fantastic, the shared knowledge is so important to keep. I love looking at the photos and maps and reading about what people remember about Birkenhead and the Wirral.Thanks again.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 18th Mar 2011 5:20pm
near neighbours of bert1s' ancestors then hope st and bedford st
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 27th Mar 2011 10:37am
Would anyone have a photo of any of the surrounding streets, such as Hope Street, Bedford Street, any of them really. I would love to see what the place looked like.
Thanks,
Lyn.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 27th Mar 2011 10:53am
nearest pub still standing is the Queens clicky
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 27th Mar 2011 11:31am
Has The Laird School of Art always been in the same building, On the map it is on the corner of Vittoria Street today It is on the corners of Aberdeen Street and Trinity Street.Cheers
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 27th Mar 2011 12:08pm
1890s map same place as it is now

Attached picture laird school.jpg
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 27th Mar 2011 5:45pm
I lived in Birkenhead up until 1992, must have been passed the Queens pub so many times, just didn't know that my Grandads family had lived so close by. I don't remember taking any real notice of the area, because I didn't realise there was any link to me.We had lived in Rock Ferry and then Prenton.No one ever talked about my Grandads family, he was fostered out as a young child. He never talked about his childhood.
Thanks for the link and the map.
Lyn.
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Wilton Street, Birkenhead. - 17th Apr 2011 4:46pm
I was looking at the map and there is a property called Oakfield House. The house was owned by Joseph Robinson Pim,an Irish born merchant. He owned a lot of land and property on Wirral.
According to the 1841 census , he lived in Oakfield House with his wife and 9 children. He had 5 live in servants. There were other buildings which his servants lived in. There was a Lodge House, a Back Lodge House and a Stable Block.
I understand Mr Pim was a Director of The British and American Steam Navigation Company.Does anyone have a picture of Oakfield House?Does anyone know when it was demolished?
Lyn.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral