Forums
Posted By: nightwalker Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 12:58pm
I'm having trouble finding any info/pics of Manor Farm, Upton. There's plenty of stuff on the manor itself, particularly the Inman connection, and I seem to remember reading that he built a model farm in the 1850s but can't find any details about it or even where it was. Can anyone help?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 1:03pm
Have you tried that book 'Set upon a Hill' (by Robert Pullan)?

Posted By: nightwalker Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 1:21pm
Don't know that one, geekus. Thanks for the pointer.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 1:37pm
I don't own a copy myself but know they have it in most local reference libraries. It's probably the only detailed book on Upton that's been written as far as I know.

Failing that, you might find something in one of the Wirral Journals.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 1:46pm
There used to be a web site about the history of Upton but it's a while since I tried to use it, I did have the url but that got lost on a hard drive failure. mad
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 2:39pm
Originally Posted by davew3
There used to be a web site about the history of Upton but it's a while since I tried to use it, I did have the url but that got lost on a hard drive failure. mad
http://www.upton.cx
This one mate
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 2:56pm
Just had a quick look at that. Interesting stuff.

Cheers TC. Cheers davew3.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 3:06pm
Excellent site,thanks. Had a quick look but can't find much about Manor Farm, so still hunting!
Posted By: bert1 Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 3:13pm
Something in the memory banks tells me Manor farm was previously Home farm.

Uptoncx will sort it for you, when he comes on.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 4:57pm
Thanks TC.

Bert1
Will it be on Cheshire Tithes Web.

Home farm is on, more or less where the entrance to the motorway is
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 5:01pm
Thanks TC.

Bert1
Will it be on Cheshire Tithes Web,

no probs guys my pleasure happy
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 5:32pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Something in the memory banks tells me Manor farm was previously Home farm.

That's interesting Bert, because that's one of the things that's confusing me. The reason for my interest is that my Great grandfather died there in 1902. His death cert clearly shows place of death as Manor Farm, Upton. He was living with his son-in-law, Frank Lee who appears on both the 1901 and 1911 censuses as living at Manor Farm (in the 1891 census he is recorded as a Farmer in "The Village"). However, in the trade directories of the time (1896, 1902, 1908) Lee is shown as living at Home Farm. Surely it's unlikely that a farm could be known by two names at the same time?
Posted By: Geekus Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 6:03pm
If you look on the Cheshire County Council web-site there's a link allowing you to look at Cheshire directories throughout the 19th century. Maybe if you look back at some of the earlier directories (say between 1850 - 1880) you may find some more clues?

(Search on 'cheshiredirectories'). Think it's Cheshire East, not West.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 6:41pm
Manor Farm was located within the village between Stonehouse Farm and Red House, it was built before 1834 as it appears on the 1834 Tithe map. This is before the existance of Upton Manor, which was built as Harefield House 1n 1858/9 and not called Upton Manor until 1865.

The farmer for almost 25 years was Frank Lee. Manor Farm was demolished in 1926 and replaced with a block of 5 shops

Home Farm was next to Upton Manor and was re-built about the same time as Harefield House was built. This farm was renamed Upton Park Farm in the 1920s

In the picture below, the three storey sandstone building is Stone House Farm, and the two storey building beyond is Manor Farm.

Attached picture Upton0055.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 7:03pm

Which one, Overchurch or Woodchurch, Home Farm Rd is on the Woodchurch, did Home Farm, Upton, stretch that far.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 7:14pm
Originally Posted by bert1

Which one, Overchurch or Woodchurch, Home Farm Rd is on the Woodchurch, did Home Farm, Upton, stretch that far.

Home Farm, Upton, doesn't seem to be on the Tithe Map, although it is on the 1875 and 1910 OS maps.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 7th Mar 2011 9:00pm
Sorry Uptoncx ,I used the 1910 to give me the position and engaged fingers instead of brain, my excuses are,I wanted a cup of tea,had to go out,wanted to watch a video and the best one,had to get a barby lit (true). yes
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Manor Farm, Upton - 8th Mar 2011 9:41am
Many thanks for all the responses, especially Uptoncx for the photo (love your website).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral