Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 23rd Feb 2011 11:11pm
Response for a map of St Georges Mount 1911

Attached picture StGeorgesMount1911.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 23rd Feb 2011 11:20pm
Interesting. No St Georges park yet. Wonder what Stanley rock was?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 23rd Feb 2011 11:23pm
I think Stanley Rock was the name of the sandstone outcrop of rock that St Pauls was built on. They were described as uncultivated sandhills prior to this.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 23rd Feb 2011 11:43pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I think Stanley Rock was the name of the sandstone outcrop of rock that St Pauls was built on. They were described as uncultivated sandhills prior to this.

Some of that was a load of rubbish - St Pauls was built on the next outcrop of rock called "Sand Rock"
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 23rd Feb 2011 11:51pm
...sorry to digress a little here digger but (as a forum veteran yourself and a prolific contributor to Wirral History), have you ever considered it would be great to have a section on the forum devote exclusively to old Wirral maps?

I've come across quite a few postings recently on Wiki featuring some brilliant old map illustrations from people like yourself, bert1, and nightwalker, etc. There are even quite a few I've seen on the photography section. I wonder if it would ever be possible to copy these or cross-reference them into one place so people can just look them up under categories of date & place??

Just a thought.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 12:05am
There are a few problems with this, one is copyright, while small portions of maps can be excluded from copyright, any large quantity would raise eyebrows.

The other is the sheer size and quantity of data - the greater majority of my maps are in digital form already and I have 400 files taking about 1GB.

Indexing them is a nightmare (sounds simple but it isn't, different maps cover different amounts of area and different revisons etc etc) - I gave up, I have some rough categories and fumble my way round them.

I am pleased to help when I can as are others and if anyone wants a map put up then PM me with details of the thread.

Occasionally I have done one particular location through the years, getting something like 12 different years/maps, while I would always like to do this, it is time-consuming, especially making sure I don't make mistakes (which I have done) so I judge this on the worthiness of doing it.

Don't be afraid to ask, don't be afraid to remind me when I've forgotten - but I can't give a global promise to help.
Posted By: Geekus Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 12:14am
Thanks for all your trouble mate.

Like I say it was just a thought, but I do agree that logistically it wouldn't be easy. I'll still enjoy seeing them whenever they get posted. Just another good excuse for me to spend time looking on Wiki.

Cheers.
Posted By: LisaW Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 6:48am
Thank you for posting this for me DD smile

Stanley Rock is the name of the house. It's still there today.
Posted By: Helles Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 1:09pm

Some of that was a load of rubbish - St Pauls was built on the next outcrop of rock called "Sand Rock"

Totally agree, St Pauls is in London anyway. St Peter and Pauls on the other hand............ smile
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 2:17pm
is that rectangle the middle of st georges park? i know its meant to be untouched land
Posted By: LisaW Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 2:21pm
Originally Posted by rentaclown100
is that rectangle the middle of st georges park? i know its meant to be untouched land

From Paul's website http://...co.uk/wallasey/mansions_st_georges_mount/index.html

'Rutland House', which had extensive grounds, is now Nos 1 and 3, St George's Mount, and it would also seem that part, at any rate, of the land was sold off to the well known Wallasey builder, Moses Hughes, in 1922, for the construction of some of the houses in St George's Park. In 1926, Moses Hughes sold over 5,000 square yards of land to Wallasey Corporation for £1,165, and this is presumably the present enclosed area in the park.
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 2:25pm
nice one lisa. my mate used to live in the amityville house next to the footpath
Posted By: LisaW Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 3:04pm
nice one lisa. my mate used to live in the amityville house next to the footpath

amityville house ???? dare i ask smile
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 4:02pm
yes its got the double pitch roof the same shape as th house in the film. no murders lol
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 6:32pm

Surely St. Peter & Paul's church was built on the site of the former "Sand Rock" which was demolished during building operations.
Posted By: Tatey Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 6:37pm
yes its got the double pitch roof the same shape as th house in the film. no murders lol

Is that the single storey house at the Western end of St. Georges Mount that I believe was the lodge gate keepers house for "Monte Bello" when it was a private road?
South corner of Atherton Street & St. Georges Mount.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: St Georges Mount, New Brighton - 24th Feb 2011 6:56pm
Originally Posted by Tatey

Surely St. Peter & Paul's church was built on the site of the former "Sand Rock" which was demolished during building operations.

Correct.

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral