Forums
Posted By: LisaW The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 1:23pm
Hi, according to the probate record for my Husband's Great x 2 Grandfather, Thomas Trevena. he lived at 1, The Avenue, Egerton Street, Liscard at the time of his death in 1898

I know of Egerton St in New Brighton but can't find a road called The Avenue.

Can anyone help at all ?

Thanks

Lisa
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:15pm
Maybe not of direct help, but in Gore's Directory 0f 1900, there is a Mrs Elizabeth Trevena resident at No.1 The Avenue, New Brighton. The Avenue is/was off Egerton Street, New Brighton.

Looking at GoogleMap, chunks of ground to the south of Egerton Street look as if "The Avenue" could have been there prior to the redevelopement of the Tower Fairground site. Also some more modern looking houses have been built, possibly on where The Avenue was ?? Sorry, not a great help.

Maybe someone local can chime in on this ?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:31pm
map 1882 and google
Is it possible that it was the name of the house?
Pinzgauer are there any other numbers in Gores confirming it was an actual avenue with other houses in it?

Attached picture egerton st nb 1882.jpg
Attached picture egerton st google.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:31pm
It was a small cul de sac between Grosvenor road and the Tower grounds. Currently standing there is a block of sheltered homes.

Numbers one to eleven (sandstone built) on the left and two to twelve (brick built) on the right. Think the odd numbers were originally fishermens cottages. From Seymour street, you could look over the wall onto the Avenue and if you were brave could drop down it and shortcut to Egerton street. There was an old chapel on the corner which in later years became a furniture storage place. Jones chippy in Egerton street was right opposite the Avenue.

You are slightly out there Derek with your google map. That was roughly where Victoria cottages were.

Posted By: Wench Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:34pm
There's an Egerton Street or Road in Liscard. It's the first road on the left after Manor Road Health Centre. It may be that one think
Posted By: chriskay Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:40pm
Here's The Avenue on the 19112 O.S. map. It's not that easy to see, but it's the first turning off Egerton St., parallel to Grosvenor Rd.
Use Ctrl +/- to enlarge/shrink the map.

Attached picture Clip1.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:48pm
Going around in circles here. Trust me, I lived there for twenty odd years.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 2:52pm
Chris to the rescue !!! Good man !

LisaW. Gores Directory have "Egerton St"., then inserted is "The Avenue" then the numbers of the individual houses. Putting everything together, No.1 wasn't called "The Avenue". It was however located in "The Avenue".

Chris - can you copy, paste, dooferise the page from Gores. I was looking a the copy of your original one ! Pure plagiarism of course.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 3:21pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Maybe not of direct help, but in Gore's Directory 0f 1900, there is a Mrs Elizabeth Trevena resident at No.1 The Avenue, New Brighton. The Avenue is/was off Egerton Street, New Brighton.

Looking at GoogleMap, chunks of ground to the south of Egerton Street look as if "The Avenue" could have been there prior to the redevelopement of the Tower Fairground site. Also some more modern looking houses have been built, possibly on where The Avenue was ?? Sorry, not a great help.

Maybe someone local can chime in on this ?

Thanks for the info. Elizabeth was Thomas' Wife smile
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 3:22pm
Originally Posted by Helles
It was a small cul de sac between Grosvenor road and the Tower grounds. Currently standing there is a block of sheltered homes.

Numbers one to eleven (sandstone built) on the left and two to twelve (brick built) on the right. Think the odd numbers were originally fishermens cottages. From Seymour street, you could look over the wall onto the Avenue and if you were brave could drop down it and shortcut to Egerton street. There was an old chapel on the corner which in later years became a furniture storage place. Jones chippy in Egerton street was right opposite the Avenue.

You are slightly out there Derek with your google map. That was roughly where Victoria cottages were.

Thanks smile

I don't suppose you have any pictures of houses at all?

The Trevena's lived in Seymour Place West in the 1891 census so they didn't move far
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 3:28pm
Fraid not. It was pedestrianised in modern parlance. No cars allowed where the houses were. Used to be pig styes at the back of the odd numbers. Sadly I can remember them! frown
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 3:42pm
Awful grammar in my last post. I half expected someone to post a picture of a random house smile

I meant to say do you have any photos of the old houses that stood in The Avenue?

Despite all the directions re where The Avenue was, i had to CRTL + to the maximum and still had to squint to find it idiot

Thanks again to you all for the replies
Posted By: chriskay Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 4:06pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Chris - can you copy, paste, dooferise the page from Gores. I was looking a the copy of your original one ! Pure plagiarism of course.

Anything to oblige. The directory also lists the chapel & Victoria Cottages which Helles referred to, but neither is actually named on the map.
Also attached, a larger scale map (or rather, same scale but smaller area).

Attached picture Clip2.jpg
Attached picture Clip3.jpg
Posted By: minicooper Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 4:13pm
I remember two young girls who lived in The Avenue, around the sixties. Rhoda Prosser was one and Dorothy Staples the other.I can't remember much more than that.
Posted By: Geekus Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 4:15pm
...if you hold down the Ctrl and F5 key together it usually reloads the page and sharpens up any images. Should make the maps a little easier to see!

Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 4:25pm
Originally Posted by minicooper
I remember two young girls who lived in The Avenue, around the sixties. Rhoda Prosser was one and Dorothy Staples the other.I can't remember much more than that.

Knew them both well. Actually Rhona not Rhoda though. A relative of theirs runs the weigh shop in Liscard road.
Posted By: minicooper Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 20th Feb 2011 4:41pm
sorry, Rhona, its been a long time. I remember her red hair! very nice people
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 8:11am
Also interesting to note on that map is the laundry that in later years became the Tick Tock cafe & eventually Grandma's club, before it burned down. Many a misspent Sunday afternoon was spent in Grandma's!
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 3:17pm
You mean this one Tatey? Note The Avenue a little way down Egerton street.

Someone sent me this so if breaching copyright and you own it then please feel free to remove.

Love the phone number.

Attached picture 533 French Laundry ad.jpg
Posted By: Geekus Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 3:53pm
French Laundry???

That must be the Eiffel Tower I can see in the background!

Posted By: chriskay Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 4:01pm

Love the phone number.

Interesting that New Brighton didn't have its own exchange. I guess that would imply that Liscard is older than New Brighton.
By coincidence, for a while in 1963 I rented a place in Berkshire & the phone No. was Twyford 8
Posted By: Geekus Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 4:44pm
I don't know much about the local telephone exchange but, certainly in terms of general history, Liscard is positively ancient compared to New Brighton.

New Brighton was a Victorian development on the coast of Liscard. A lot of Wallasey's early public services were centralised around Liscard Village, including things like the police, fire brigade, and electricity. Perhaps the telephone exchange was just another one of those things.
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 5:46pm
New Brighton was classed as part of Liscard and could well still be for all I know. New Brighton was nothing until the 19th century when Atherton and his son in law Rowson bought the land from Penkett and built big houses for posh people. Us riff raff came later and I bet he wouldn't have been too pleased. Tough at the top isn't it? laugh
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 5:53pm
New Brighton was classed as part of Liscard and could well still be for all I know. New Brighton was nothing until the 19th century when Atherton and his son in law Rowson bought the land from Penkett and built big houses for posh people. Us riff raff came later and I bet he wouldn't have been too pleased. Tough at the top isn't it? laugh

Only a small community of fisherman and workers of the lighthouse and fort residing in the area. (Devils Nest).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 6:00pm
Originally Posted by Tatey
Also interesting to note on that map is the laundry that in later years became the Tick Tock cafe & eventually Grandma's club, before it burned down. Many a misspent Sunday afternoon was spent in Grandma's!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 8:14pm
Where that new boundary wall is was the part that was bombed in the war. Was a bomb site for many years when I was a kid. The remaining building was a peanut factory after the war with the upper part (i.e. upstairs) being the Tick Tock cafe/restaurant and as stated night clubs later. The Avenue was just behind the large chimney. My house still had a bulge in the front wall from the same bomb.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 21st Feb 2011 9:10pm
Thanks again to all for the replies smile
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 22nd Feb 2011 8:29am
[quote=Helles]You mean this one Tatey? Note The Avenue a little way down Egerton street.

That's the one!
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 22nd Feb 2011 5:40pm
You mean this one Tatey? Note The Avenue a little way down Egerton street.

Someone sent me this so if breaching copyright and you own it then please feel free to remove.

Love the phone number.

Took me a while to find the phone number as well idiot
Posted By: mickey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 22nd Feb 2011 6:57pm
LISA, I HAVE A PHOTO OF THE AVENUE BUT CAN'T SEEM TO UPLOAD IT. IF YOU SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS I WILL MAIL IT TO YOU
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 22nd Feb 2011 7:26pm
Originally Posted by mickey
LISA, I HAVE A PHOTO OF THE AVENUE BUT CAN'T SEEM TO UPLOAD IT. IF YOU SEND ME YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS I WILL MAIL IT TO YOU

Would love to see that. email address sent in PM.

Thanks
Posted By: mickey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 7:17pm
THE AVENUE

Attached picture THE AVENUE.png
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 7:34pm
Fabulous Mickey. Thank you very much. Taken from Seymour street and you have my house in full photo. Second up on the right as you look at it. Behind the person is the old chapel and when I was a kid, that street light was gas.

Where did you get it from or is it an old family photo?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 7:57pm
Ahh! such a shame to have pulled those houses down!

Thankyou so much for posting the pic.XXX
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 8:06pm
Thanks Mickey. Really appreciate you uploading this for me. Any idea at all of the year it was taken?

Helles, which house is number 1 ?

I love that someone is stood in the doorway first house on the right looking straight at the camera.

Would this photo have been taken from another house as the view is quite high up?
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 8:16pm
Originally Posted by LisaW
Thanks Mickey. Really appreciate you uploading this for me. Any idea at all of the year it was taken?

I love that someone is stood in the doorway first house on the right looking straight at the camera.

Would this photo have been taken from another house as the view is quite high up?

Number one is the first house to the left of the girl (?) who is holding a child. On the right of the photo as you look at it. First sandstone one. It was taken from Seymour street which was up a higher level but had a large wall to stop one falling over.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 8:26pm

Number one is the first house to the left of the girl (?) who is holding a child. On the right of the photo as you look at it. First sandstone one. It was taken from Seymour street which was up a higher level but had a large wall to stop one falling over.

Thanks Helles smile

Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 9:44pm
My brother tells me that this was a newspaper photo from Wallasey News when they were trying to save the place from demolition. Would be early seventies then.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 10:45pm
My brother tells me that this was a newspaper photo from Wallasey News when they were trying to save the place from demolition. Would be early seventies then.

Wonder if I could still get a copy of the article?
Posted By: Geekus Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 10:58pm
They used to keep bound copies of all the original old Wallasey News papers at Earlston Library. Even if they don't have the actual paper now they will have it on microfilm and you can print off any parts of it that you might want.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 11:01pm
Originally Posted by geekus
They used to keep bound copies of all the original old Wallasey News papers at Earlston Library. Even if they don't have the actual paper now they will have it on microfilm and you can print off any parts of it that you might want.

Thanks smile
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 23rd Feb 2011 11:03pm

Wonder if I could still get a copy of the article?

Well the library has all the old newspapers on film and you can copy articles from them for a quid I think? Depends on quality I suppose? Would have to trawl through 73 to roughly 76 approx!
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 8:21am
Bit of a coincidence, but I met a lovely girl called Donna yesterday who was born in The Avenue!
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 9:15am
Originally Posted by Tatey
Bit of a coincidence, but I met a lovely girl called Donna yesterday who was born in The Avenue!

Doesn't ring any bells but could have been a child when I left? The more I look at that photo the more I think it is my wife and first born in it. We would have had to have been on leave from the army though and it would be about 1974?
Posted By: mickey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 10:27am
The photo is from an old Wallasey News. Here is the full article -

Attached picture 12.jpg
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 10:42am
That's great,thanks for taking the trouble
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 11:04am
Thanks Mickey. Recognise Geoff Crook, Mrs Potter, The Vernon family, Eunice Staples.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 12:05pm
Thanks Mickey smile Lovely to read about The Avenue in more detail.

The houses look fine to me. It was strange to read that they were viewed as unfit to live in.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 12:21pm
The houses probably were fine, Lisa. By condemming them as unfit the Council would be able to compulsorily purchase them for peanuts. From personal experience I know that the same thing happened about the same time with Pear Tree Grove in Liscard when they were planning the new ring road. Outside WC = unfit for human habitation = don't have to pay the market value. Nothing much changes.
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 24th Feb 2011 6:20pm
Thanks Mickey. Recognise Geoff Crook, Mrs Potter, The Vernon family, Eunice Staples.

The girl I met was a Potter!
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 25th Feb 2011 12:24pm
Mickey, do you have a date for that Wallasey News please?
Posted By: mickey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 25th Feb 2011 6:58pm
Sorry I don't ... would be about 1972 - 1974
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 25th Feb 2011 7:37pm
Okay no probs thanks.
Posted By: LisaW Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 28th Feb 2011 5:59pm
Just an add on to this thread smile

In 1891 Thomas was living at 5 Wright Cottages, Seymour Place East.

Does anyone have a photo of these cottages at all? It looks like Seymour Place East was replaced by the modern houses as it doesn't exist anymore and seems to have been absorbed into Seymour Street.

Thanks smile
Posted By: Helles Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 1st Mar 2011 7:46pm
Lisa, tried to pm you but won't allow as you are over the limit or something? Please clear it out or whatever you do and I will try again.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 9th May 2011 9:10pm
Apols for reviving this thread, but it seemed like the most sensible place to put these pics now that I've found them:

Description: 1-5 Seymour Place East. The cottage at extreme left was numbered as 1 Seymour Street.
Attached picture Seymour Place East 1.jpg

Description: 7-17 Seymour Place East.
Attached picture Seymour Place East 2.jpg

Description: 8-18 Seymour Place East, with 1-4 Plantation Cottages beyond.
Attached picture Seymour Place East 3.jpg
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 9th May 2011 9:12pm
Brilliant thankyou!
Posted By: Tatey Re: The Avenue, Egerton Street - 10th May 2011 5:26am
Love the little van, someones pride & joy. Stickers & curtains in the windows. Looks like an old Austin A40 perhaps?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral