Forums
Posted By: Erainn Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 11:28am
Anyone know of a Birkenhead street or road, called something like:

Haman/Hamon Harmon/Harman

which was around in 1870/80s in the St.Annes parish.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 12:11pm
Found a HAMANK STREET, St Annes Parish in the 1881 census.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 12:26pm
Oh that's brilliant smile sounds very promising, Wonder if anyone has a map showing that street?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 12:50pm
Found a Flamank Street, 1899, between Price St and Brook St.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 12:57pm
Snooze, you are a star! smile Thanks for digging that out..the street I'm looking for information on was called 'Hamank Sreet'
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 1:03pm
oooops hang-on a second.the copperplate writing on the document I have before me is a little unclear, could be a 'H', then again may well be an 'F'. Darn those cursive writers smile But the other post noted a Hamank Street in a Census, unless that too had misread the first letter as a 'H'?
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 1:21pm
Have compared the 1881 and 1891 censuses and they are the same place - same number of houses and numbers 3&5 are a pub. Looking at the original 1881 census sheet I think it has been wrongly transcribed as Hamank - the old style capital F and the l do look like an H. So Flamank it is! Do you need any info about the residents?

Forgot to mention that it is shown as Flamark in the 1891 census and there's no Hamark Street.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 1:53pm
The houses in Flamank St seem to have disappeared by 1954-56, bombings during the war maybe? Slum clearance?
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 2:08pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker
Have compared the 1881 and 1891 censuses and they are the same place - same number of houses and numbers 3&5 are a pub. Looking at the original 1881 census sheet I think it has been wrongly transcribed as Hamank - the old style capital F and the l do look like an H. So Flamank it is! Do you need any info about the residents?

Forgot to mention that it is shown as Flamark in the 1891 census and there's no Hamark Street.

OOps! The last line should of course read Flamank and Hamank
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 2:11pm
You are probably right there, certainly being so close to the docks, was a target for bombing no doubt. Yet seem to recall lots of original housing in and around that area during the late 1960s. Maybe it fell victim to the butcherous planning of the 1980s that tranformed the area into an urban desert, so sad seeing how it looks on Google Maps.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 2:49pm
I know exactly what you mean when you say "urban desert". The thing which strikes me when I visit that area these days is how deserted the roads are, compared with the 1940's when there were constant traffic jams caused by the dock traffic & of course the tunnel dock branch was really busy.
Here's an extract from Willmer's 1915/16 directory for Flamank St. Almost exclusively dockers.

Attached picture Flamank St..jpg
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 2:58pm
Fascinating list indeed, a considerable number of Irish names, many thanks for sharing that, how times and towns change!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 2:59pm
Flamank St from Price Street, today
Posted By: arsenal Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 3:01pm
i have a map from 1909 you can get the same map from www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk. it is flamank street.the map costs 2.25.when you order ask for ord survey map birkenhead 1909
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 3:02pm
Very grateful for your help on that. Kind regards, Erainn
Posted By: Erainn Re: Missing Street - 5th Feb 2011 3:03pm
Talk about The Specials 'Ghost Town'!
Posted By: Jeeps Re: Missing Street - 7th Feb 2011 11:50pm
That attachment is interesting, Chriskay. My husband is related to Aspinalls and Sherlocks and I have ancestors of his in Flamank Street although I can't find which particular ones just now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral