Forums
Posted By: Erainn Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 3:19pm
Anyone have recollections of the 'Flat Lanes' (an interesting name, no doubt with a long history)? Recall there wcatchingas a few ponds there, was it the 'Three (or Seven) Sisters'? Used to walk down Townfield Lane to reach them, all fields then, great fun catching sticklebacks or newts. smile Then along came the M53 and the rest is history. Memories, thoughts, links, photos would be great.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 3:25pm
The flat lanes were part of our school cross country course, though not so flat as i remember them, the ponds as i recall was the 3 sisters, also on the cross country course, a good point to have a smoke, far enough away from prying eyes.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 3:36pm
haha right back there eh? smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 4:01pm
Yes, remember the Flat Lanes with great pleasure. They've named a road off Townfield Lane, Flatt(sic)Lane.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 4:29pm
That's the 'new' housing down there, right? What a loss that youngsters are denied the joy we had playing around the Flat Lanes.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 4:29pm
Possibly the Seven Stiles???? All them places round there were great when we were kids, running through the fields with the grass tickling the legs because we wore proper short trousers. Taddies and newts, cows drinking in the ponds, leeches, bird nesting (but always leave 3 eggs in because the birds can only count to three), all kinds of wild life around there and then they went and built on them, vandals.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 4:45pm
ahhhh now the bells are ringing smile
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 4:48pm
a wonderful and accurate picture
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 4:51pm
Yes Bandy. You've hit a few buttons there !! I used to play around there in the late '50's. Just as you describe. The highlight of the day was if you managed to catch any sticklebacks and bring them home in the jam jar with the string tied around the top ! Simple pleasures eh?

Yes, then the bas***d developers moved in and covered the whole area in bricks, mortar and tarmac ! Ain't life great !!!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 5:01pm
For sure that M53 carved an ugly gouge along the Wirral, all justified by usual arguments about creating jobs, long term progress etc etc. No mention in those days about sites of special scientific interest or protected habitats, as I recall there seemed to be virtually no opposition to the motorway.
Posted By: philmch Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 11:31pm
I lived on the Wimpey estate from 1968 for about 10 years. When we moved there, Townfield Lane still had a stream running down it.

The pond behind Townfield School is still there but the school owns the land and has fenced it off. I remember another pond in the Holmlands direction but that one went quite early on. Very sad.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 31st Jan 2011 11:40pm
Wow a stream..had forgotten there was one. Such a shame that area went under the developer's knife.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 3rd Feb 2011 2:21am
Well well well !!
In the 50's &60's I lived in the only house in Townfield Lane, it was 3 Bidston Road (Now Townfield Court & 1 Townfield Lane [The Bungalow]).
Certainly remember the "stream" down the lane, it was mostly noticeable below the Rank's sports ground.
Spent many hours around there. In winter when plenty of snow around great for tobogganing.
If you used to use Townfield Lane you will probably recall the sandstone wall around the house before you got to the Oxton CC, all that is left of my childhood !!
PS You weren't one of those who used throw stones over that wall. I had to pick them up before mowing the grass !!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 3rd Feb 2011 9:05am
Haha nice recollections, cannot say 'yes' OR 'no' to the stone throwing, at that age anything is possible smile I dimly recall the sandstone wall and thinking more about it a stream, which as you says only began after a ceratin point. Am I right in recalling as you walked down Townfield Land it would have been on the left-hand side? Another image I have for that lane is bushes or trees, strange how we retain certain fragments of memory. Another piece of that jigsaw I have is haystacks, built up in squares on the Flat Lanes.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 9:18am
I don't think it was really a stream a such as it wasn't really there all year only when wet, it flowed all over the place and was quite deep in places.
It don't recall haystacks, but lots of cattle, mainly fresians. Of course it was all agricultural land and was a designated green belt all the way to the railway from Holm Lane to Noctorum.
The land then still belonged to the Earls of Shrewsbury (along with alot more of the Wirral), but had to be sold to pay for a divorce settlement and this together with abolition of Birkenhead Borough (Merseyside)in the early 70's led to its being undesiganted - say no more.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 10:47am
Wow!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 10:58am
On some old maps & field systems you come across the name 'sitch' or 'sytch', refering to a type of ditch which is usually dry in summer and wet in the winter. These sometimes get mistaken for streams.

Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 11:15am
The new houses have a dual sewer system the rain run off was supposed to cleanse the Fender.The washing machines in the extensions ect should be going into the soil grid, alas a lot went for the nearest grid and the Fender never came alive again.I have two small ponds with loads of frogs and newts They are still here they just need a decent enviroment to flourish.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:15pm
The old brain is creaking. I recall reading somewhere that the area around the Flatt Lanes was known as the Town Fields hence Townfield Lane.
Anyway as I recall the area was very popular at weekends, especially before everybody had car. On Saturdays & Sundays there was a steady stream of people up and down, not only to the Oxton CC and Ranks Sports ground. When there were more cars about the lane used to get blocked with them, at that time it was only half the width it is now, also unmade.
The loss of such a great amenity is tragic.
Also the residents of the Woodchurch estate used it as well.
It had become that popular that the council decided to install street lighting in about 1960 - gas lamps would you believe !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:17pm
Map of Townfield Lane, about 1912. Maps I post will usually take a good degree of enlargement/reduction using Ctrl +/-.
Unfortunately, the top of Townfield Lane is on the edge of the map, top right corner; you can see St.Saviours church marked in the margin. The map just includes the junction with the Flat Lanes.

Attached picture Townfield Lane.jpg
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:19pm
Great work, thanks so much for kindly sharing.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:23pm
Seem to recall that Oxton Crocket Club on Townfield Land held a charity match in the early 70s with a youthful David Gower playing. Was there a stile at the bottom of the Lane?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:40pm
I think Ian Botham played for Oxton cricket club, still there as far as i know, couple more maps of that area, 19th and 20th century.

Attached picture ox.JPG
Attached picture oxton.JPG
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:41pm
Yes
Fred Truman and Ken Cranston used come sometimes.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:42pm
It was a great loss for sure and to consider, as offered in a previous post, that it was in part due to a divorce settlement!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:43pm
ahhh that may well explain the Gower memory I have concerning Oxton CC
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:50pm
Thank you very much.
This shows the top before 1 & 3 Bidston Rd were built (about 1920). I have an aerial photo, but it won't upload. Says its too big but isn't - blast it !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 12:51pm
Originally Posted by masterbun
Yes
Fred Truman and Ken Cranston used come sometimes.

Used to watch Ken Cranston when he played for Neston. The ground was, of course, at Parkgate. I used to buy a bag of shrimps & sit on a bench & watch the game.
My father was a leading light at Mersey Park Cricket Club.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 1:09pm
Ken Cranston and others used to come and coach at Mostyn House School(now closed 2010).
Parkgate Potted Shrimps - ummy !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 3:15pm
Didn't know Mostyn House school had closed. In re: potted shrimps, our local fishmonger in our market still has them; not from Parkgate tho'; Morecambe Bay.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Flat Lanes - 5th Feb 2011 3:31pm
It is a shame about Mostyn House. It has such a history in Parkgate. I have heard that they had alot of damage from burst pipes after the frost too which wont help with the sale.
Posted By: masterbun Re: Flat Lanes - 6th Feb 2011 2:22am
Go to this link to see it.
happy happy

Warning - Big changes are coming up so I'll leave it up for as long as I can.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Flat Lanes - 6th Feb 2011 2:26am
Is that moyston house bunmaster?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral