Forums
Posted By: Erainn Bob Martins On Conway Street - 29th Jan 2011 10:36pm
Anyone recollect that wonderous emporium of fruit cordials that was on Conway Street, not too far from The Queens Hotel? Was called Bob Martins and had been there for decades, it was like a pub for kids and the drinks on sale were just what the Doctor orderd after a three hour game of footie in the nearby Park. My favourite tipple was a concoction called 'Blood Tonic', the drinks and decor were an amazing relic from the Edwardian age, not that I noticed having just scored the winner in a match that ended 23 to 16 smile

Posted By: kermit Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 29th Jan 2011 10:53pm
I lived near there for almost 10 years and I dont remember that whan was it blush
Posted By: arsenal Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 29th Jan 2011 11:04pm
it was on the corner of hilton street and conway street.blood tonic was my favourite too. fantastic place
Posted By: Stranger Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 29th Jan 2011 11:07pm
Yeah, I do.
I used to go in there if I had any money left after going to Livingstone St baths.
You'd get your drink served in the thickest, chunkiest, heaviest glass I've ever seen !
Check out this thread.. https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/372861/1.html
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 30th Jan 2011 12:04am
Me and starakita used to walk past there with our cousin remember the old chairs and tables her dad used to own the cobblers shop in park street
Posted By: davew3 Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 30th Jan 2011 12:12am
Ah blood tonic, what was 6d,six old pence for half a pint,1.0d, shilling for a pint,petrol was 3s 7p a gallon and a pint of booze was ?,now the petrol and the booze I can't remember but the blood tonic was a lovely drink after going to Livy baths for a swim and getting kicked out because you had been in 4 or more hours.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 30th Jan 2011 1:07am
The blood tonic, I remember, had a 'head' on it too, creamy white and sank all the way to the bottom too smile As someone in the other thread noted, you could buy a bottle of his cordial to take home, but it never was he same.
Posted By: stumpyduck Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 30th Jan 2011 9:18am
i remember bob martins ,great place
Posted By: detsi Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 30th Jan 2011 11:09am
Originally Posted by Erainn
The blood tonic, I remember, had a 'head' on it too, creamy white and sank all the way to the bottom too smile As someone in the other thread noted, you could buy a bottle of his cordial to take home, but it never was he same.

I think that blood tonic was red. The cream soda was green and there was a sarsaparilla that was brown. The glasses were big and chunky, just like in a real pub.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 30th Jan 2011 12:59pm
It sure was the business, cream soda was another tasty tipple there. Am I right in recall that Bob wore some sort of white jacket like a dentist, or is that a different dream?
Posted By: detsi Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 2nd Feb 2011 10:30am
Originally Posted by detsi
Originally Posted by Erainn

I think that blood tonic was red. The cream soda was green and there was a sarsaparilla that was brown. The glasses were big and chunky, just like in a real pub.

I may stand corrected regarding the sarsaparilla. My mate reckons the brown one was dandelion & burdock. Was there also a ginger beer? We would sit on the bench with sweet ciggies and call each other 'Joe' and 'Bill' pretending to be men.
I wonder were Bob got these drinks. Did he make them himself? If so where did he get all of these fantastic ingredients from?

Posted By: Erainn Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 2nd Feb 2011 12:41pm
He surely did, that was the magic of it, his recipes had been used for donkey's years, seems Bob's had been there for decades. Ah sweet ciggies :))
Posted By: Andy_U Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 25th Feb 2011 10:41pm
I remember going into Bob Martin's with my dad and having a pint of Blood Tonic !
If I remember rightly, it was up Conway Street, opposite where Europa Pools is now.
Are there any photos of Bob Martins anywhere ?
Because if there ARE, I can't find any !
Posted By: Erainn Re: Bob Martins On Conway Street - 26th Feb 2011 9:30am
Would be great to refresh the memory with a photograph of Bob Martin's smile Anyone help on that?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral