Forums
Posted By: cathcart dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 3:23pm
just wondering iff anyone has any tales or pictures of my hero william ralph. i met him a few times in the 50s. he was a lovely man i had his autograph a few times,but have lost them over the years.my granddad used to take me to see him. he would let me hold his medals and wear his caps. i oten think there should be a statue to the great man. no one would be more deserving.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 3:42pm
There is a statue of Dixie Dean - outside Goodison Park.

Bob.
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 4:29pm
Have you try contacting Tranmere rovers football club they might be able to help
Posted By: cathcart Re: dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 6:51pm
we all know about the one at everton. i mean have one in birkenhead where he was born.hes probably the towns most famous son .and he started with our own club,not everton.
Posted By: Smash Re: dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 7:21pm
To be fair he only played for tranmere for one season and although he had a great impact on that season there are more deserving players/managers! For me it has to be Johnny King who deserves a statue..... or Wilfred Owen
Posted By: cathcart Re: dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 9:34pm
i dont think you grasp my point its for being a great ambassador for the town not because he played for the rovers.he was proud of being a birkonian as i am.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: dixie dean - 25th Jan 2011 10:39pm
The birkenhead library has him down as playing for Wirral Railway Football Club. Doesnt even mention Rovers or Everton??
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: dixie dean - 1st Apr 2011 9:31am
Not sure wether this is the best place...anyway here is a photo of my nan 3rd from right second row from bottom. This was Laird Street school, my nan was born in 1912 and Dixie Dean 1907, not sure he is on the picture but if he was this picture would be worth quite a lot.

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral