Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 4:18pm
Does anyone have any memories of Borough Road in Seacombe? I have fond memories as a child of The Dolls Hospital and in aduld years, of The Stanley Arms,pub.
Posted By: torryman Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 4:53pm
Vincents chippie ...fabulous food but BOY were they tight with the chips...the chips only just reached over that little bag that you used to get with the chips....but they were that tasty and FRESH...... (chinese chippies havent got a clue)
That people would come from miles around.....happy days.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 4:57pm
Vaguely remember the Stanley. Remember the shops, were the houses are now, opposite the bingo. The butchers did a fab quiche and the chippy used to 'fritter fingers'.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 4:58pm
Wasnt there 3 chippies?
Posted By: buddy Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 5:20pm
My grandmother worked in the Stanley Arms many years ago and my cousin was the landlord/manager c1980

I also had an uncle who had the sweet shop opposite the Embassy Cinema (now the Bingo) and he retired to the IOM where he died a couple of years ago at the age of 104!!!

Remember the Dolls Hospital but didn't go in!!! and the fritter fingers - wonderful!! - and agree chips ain't what they used to be!!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 6:01pm
Shopping in Borough Road

Index

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/Shopping_In_Wallasey_Index/index.html
Posted By: buddy Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 7:47pm
Thanks Paul - interesting map - I was born in Chapel Street
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:30pm
Whereabouts was the Doll Hospital? What era was this? I'm assuming kids took toys there to be mended (stating the obvious, i know). Was it a glorified toy shop or did it have 'wards' and 'nurses/drs?'
what was the cost/ pricing?
i find this very interesting and would love to know more about it. smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:38pm
Thanks again Paul
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:41pm
Ah,yes I remember that chippy.I would never have got the name though.I remember it had pale green and black tiles inside.
Originally Posted by torryman
Vincents chippie ...fabulous food but BOY were they tight with the chips...the chips only just reached over that little bag that you used to get with the chips....but they were that tasty and FRESH...... (chinese chippies havent got a clue)
That people would come from miles around.....happy days.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:42pm
Who remembers 'Broadway Radio?' only place i could find TDK cassette tapes that were 120 mins. (it seemed only the 60s and the 90s were widly available)
also, aware that Broadway is Poulton Rd not Borough Rd, if anyone is pedantic! laugh
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:42pm
I remember two.
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Wasnt there 3 chippies?
Posted By: buddy Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:49pm
Doll's Hospital was in the next block up from the Stanley Pub - no idea about prices - didn't have any dolls!!!!

I lived in Seacombe from 1940 (birth) to 1955
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:50pm
The Tory club? What was that called? I really, REALLY should know that-thats where we had our Wedding Do! Lol
Plusone says 'the vansa' ???
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:52pm
He is right!
The Tory club? What was that called? I really, REALLY should know that-thats where we had our Wedding Do! Lol
Plusone says 'the vansa' ???
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:55pm
I remember it,it was painted red I think and opp'were the Dale was.
Who remembers 'Broadway Radio?' only place i could find TDK cassette tapes that were 120 mins. (it seemed only the 60s and the 90s were widly available)
also, aware that Broadway is Poulton Rd not Borough Rd, if anyone is pedantic! laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 8:55pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
I remember two.
Wasnt there 3 chippies?
Hmm, you probably right there bezzy. Was Vincents where the carpark is now, opposite Elmees? The other one was furthur down, nearer the bingo, next to the butchers?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:00pm
There was a chippy by The Stanley and yes Vincents was where the carpark is now.So if you remember one by the butchers Rude,that would make three,although, did they all exist at the same time?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:00pm
I remember it,it was painted red I think and opp'were the Dale was.
Thats the place! It has since been a Threshers/ Local and now its a general store/ off license.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:05pm
I don't remember any prices at the Dolls Hospital as I would have been too young to take any notice.It was a toy shop but,you could also take broken toys there to be fixed.My sisters favorite doll had an eye replaced.These days they would probably just throw it away!
I also remember it was the first place to stock 'playdough'.
Posted By: Emilyyxox Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:06pm
do you remember dicks shoe shop, parkers cake shop, kendricks grocers or bassets sweets?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:12pm
There was a chippy by The Stanley and yes Vincents was where the carpark is now.So if you remember one by the butchers Rude,that would make three,although, did they all exist at the same time?
Unsure now crazy can just remember, as a kid, my dad marching us out to get a chippy tea, on a Saturday.
i could never understand why we would stroll past other chippys (THAT aroma when hungry-agony) to go to one furthur away! Lol
of course, i 'get it' now. I like Bonnies on Borough Rd and plusone prefers Jimmys, St Pauls Rd!
the 3rd chippy-i think-was at the very bottom, opposite the La Banque??
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:19pm
Originally Posted by Emilyyxox
do you remember dicks shoe shop, parkers cake shop, kendricks grocers or bassets sweets?
I remember 'Grays' cake shop. Didnt visit often because everytime that i did go, one of the staff was pregnant!! In my youth, i compared that to the 'pregnancy chair' type storys you read about!
Worried about whether the counter was 'fertile' raftl
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:30pm
I don't remember any prices at the Dolls Hospital as I would have been too young to take any notice.It was a toy shop but,you could also take broken toys there to be fixed.My sisters favorite doll had an eye replaced.These days they would probably just throw it away!
I also remember it was the first place to stock 'playdough'.
Was the 'hospital' next door or two from what is now a sunbed shop, opposite tescos? Used to be a bike shop, apparantly? (hubby trying to recollect his Nans storys)
Speaking of which, Nan passed in 2009, she used to refer to the area as "the village". We would laugh our heads off as the place is Dead-that was until we learnt, that, in fact it was, extending all the way to Desemane Street, back in the day! smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:37pm
No it was in Borough Rd. If you can remember The Stanley,it was just a bit further up on the same side heading toward Liscard Rd.The block of shops that it was in were slightly set back from the road.Yes it was a village and very busy too!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:44pm

Not sure if the old memory is playing tricks on me but I seem to remember Broadway Radio being in that little block of shops on Liscard Road between Hood Street and Rappart Road, not sure if it was on the corner or next one in, then a greengrocers. Could be old age but ......
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 20th Jan 2011 9:55pm
Thanks b.m.
i can hardly remember the pub. We'd get to my dads and there would be a notice on the door "i'm at stanleys". Nice. smile frown so my sis and i would go there.
We got coca-cola, crisps on tap. 50p EACH (that was 8 songs each on the jukebox, happy days). Lol.
i recall that the landlord was 'albert', the bar was very small and the drinking area was dominated by a pool table? This, i think was around 82-84??
Posted By: torryman Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 21st Jan 2011 5:38pm
When (someone) said 3 chippies I know that there was Vincents on the corner, but there was another chippy B. Gheri's which was a great chippy (almost as good as Vincents ,fresh chips and they opened late) well it wasnt that late 12.00 or so but Vincents closed dead early just after tea time.

the confusion about the third chippy could be that B Gheri's moved to a different shop in Borough road which might be why he thinks there were 3.

The Conservative club did become the Vanser Club and before it was the "Conny" club it was Millers clothes store...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 21st Jan 2011 5:45pm
Mum in law says there was an italian chippy furthur down?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 21st Jan 2011 5:56pm
I remember an Italian chippy top of Wheatland Lane called Santi's.That was a really good one too.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 21st Jan 2011 6:02pm
I don't think it was there Croc.I think the block of shops that you are mentioning contained, Kev's Barbers,a sweetshop,a petshop and yes I think a greengrocers. Maybe we are talking of a diff' decade.
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee

Not sure if the old memory is playing tricks on me but I seem to remember Broadway Radio being in that little block of shops on Liscard Road between Hood Street and Rappart Road, not sure if it was on the corner or next one in, then a greengrocers. Could be old age but ......
Posted By: Tatey Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 22nd Jan 2011 9:27am
Had a look-see yesterday & Broadway Radio was either the dog grooming place or one either side. I used to buy records there & later repaired radios for the owner.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 22nd Jan 2011 10:14am
I can remember in that block a 'bag shop'that seemed to have hundreds for sale,you could hardly move in there(no,remarks please Bertie and Bandy)he had so many.
There was a 'Mace'which was a sort of supermarket, a clothes shop that I can't recall the name of and a butchers.I too remember buying records from Broadway Radio!

Posted By: torryman Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 23rd Jan 2011 1:44pm
I lived next door to Santi's chip shop...It was pretty good...but I had to sneak round the entry into Naples road and across into the entry by St Josephs to get a fish from Vincents chippie....felt mean on Mr Santi who was a really nice guy...his brother opened the chippie in Martins lane and was there until he retired about 3 years ago.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 23rd Jan 2011 2:12pm
Oh it was his brother that opened the other shop was it,I thought that he owned both.
The clothes shop on Poulton Rd yhat I couldn't remember the name of was Jackson's, I think!
Posted By: torryman Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 23rd Jan 2011 2:32pm
The clothes shop on Poulton road near to Broadway radio was calle d "the yorkshire Tailors" and aws run by a jewish guy who always wore a hat...it was a great shop and he was a brilliant salesman you never got away without buying something..if you stopped to look in the window he was out like a shot hassling you.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 23rd Jan 2011 8:45pm
I don't think that is the same shop that I am thinking of.
This was a double fronted shop selling school uniforms etc.
Where the bookies is on the corner it was next to there.
Was the shop that your thinking of further down toward Borough Rd?
Posted By: csmummy Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 24th Jan 2011 2:57pm
Vaguely remember the Stanley. Remember the shops, were the houses are now, opposite the bingo. The butchers did a fab quiche and the chippy used to 'fritter fingers'.

The veg shop on the corner next to the chippy and butchers was one of the best veg shops around!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 24th Jan 2011 9:23pm
Was the clothes shop,Jackson's?
Posted By: wilson Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 9th Mar 2011 3:10am
do you remember "brizmans" in st pauls rd everything priced up had a half-penny on iy
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 10th Mar 2011 4:57pm
Originally Posted by wilson
do you remember "brizmans" in st pauls rd everything priced up had a half-penny on iy
I think that we have mentioned Brizzies somewhere before.
Closed on Saturdays but open on Sundays!
Posted By: petethebike Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 15th Mar 2011 8:13pm
Hi, newboy to the forum.I went to school with Derek Vincent,the chipshop owners' son.We were at Riverside,from '53 to '59,then the Tech grammar t0 '66.He was a nice well-fed lad with a Hornbey 3 rail electric trainset!
The things you remember when someone pulls your chain!
Posted By: petethebike Re: Borough Rd Seacombe - 15th Mar 2011 8:18pm
Hi,the bag shop was Marshalls,I was at the Tech Grammar with their son Clive.Mr Marshall ran a dental repair workshop there.
They also kept chickens in their backyard.They had a Ford V8 Pilot,big motor!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral