Forums
Posted By: Matthew Decapitation of Treasury Building Birkenhead - 12th Jan 2011 10:17pm
I was trying to find an image that would visually demonstrate the shrinking in size of Wirral Council as so many staff are being made redundant(including me!), and I wanted to find a 'Before' and 'After' picture of the Golden Tower in Cleveland Street.

It was severely bobbited after the Council realised that there was a danger that loose panels falling off might kill some of their taxpayers.

I would be very grateful if anyone can upload, or link to, some pictures.

Thanks, Matthew
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Decapitation of Treasury Building Birkenhead - 12th Jan 2011 11:13pm
hope these help a little clicky will do
Posted By: Matthew Re: Decapitation of Treasury Building Birkenhead - 13th Jan 2011 9:37am
Thank you very much indeed Derek for those pictures, and all your other 'now' and 'then' photos, it really does come as quite a shock to be shown so clearly how much the urban landscape has changed in such a short time.

So many visual reference points have gone, in particular the pubs, so that where I could once easily navigate my way round town using the pubs as landmarks before finishing at The Old Colonial, I now get lost in some soulless car park trying to get a drink from a pub that closed 20 years ago!

Matthew
The decapitated remains of the orange building is about to be demolished around May this year (2017), however one of the ecological reports has suggested it shouldn't be demolished between 1st March and 31st August because of disturbance to breeding birds.
Posted By: cools Re: Decapitation of Treasury Building Birkenhead - 12th Apr 2017 9:01am
Shame! I worked in this building many moons ago, some happy memories.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral