Forums
Posted By: cathcart dirk bogard at the essoldo - 6th Jan 2011 4:49pm
does anyone remember what year dirk bogard was at the essoldo. i was only little and used to sell the echo outside. i think it was around 1958. i thought for years that it was humphrey bogart.i remember seeing him through the crowd.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 8th Jan 2011 12:47pm
Think the Essoldo might have still been the Ritz then.
Posted By: yoller Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 8th Jan 2011 10:46pm
I think The Ritz was always called The Ritz, but it was part of the Essoldo cinema chain.
Posted By: yoller Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 8th Jan 2011 10:55pm
I never saw Dirk Bogarde at the Ritz, but I bet it was a really big local event. I think the cinema hosted lots of stars in its heyday. It would be interesting to hear what people remember about other celebrities who came to Birkenhead. The one I remember best was Frankie Vaughan, who visited the Shaftesbury Boys Club around 1962-63. There was a massive crowd spilling out from Jackson Street on to the Haymarket, but my mate and I managed to push our way to the front to see him. What struck me most of all was girls screaming - something we later became used to with the Beatles.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 8th Jan 2011 11:05pm
was there at Shafts - remember thinking how tanned he looked
but thought it was in the latish 50s
somewhere on wiki is a film of Gregory Peck and other big stars visiting the Ritz
Posted By: chriskay Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 9th Jan 2011 9:21am
Here's a link to the film clip.
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=27321
The Ritz had been re-named the Essoldo not later than 1958
Posted By: chriskay Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 9th Jan 2011 6:59pm
Originally Posted by summer01
Dirk Bogarde is he still human ?

??????
If you mean, is he still alive? No, he died in 1999.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 9th Jan 2011 7:59pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Think the Essoldo might have still been the Ritz then.

This is the poster for the show when Billy Fury was discovered in 1958 which shows both. Could be that the name had just changed to the Essoldo and Ritz was put in brackets for those who hadn't heard?

Description: poster
Attached picture essoldo.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 10th Jan 2011 12:45am
Apparently, the Ritz was privately owned until about 1954, when it was sold to the Essoldo cinema chain. From the mid-1950s (when we kids would flock there for the Saturday morning matinees) until the late 1960s (when it was in decline) I never remember it being called anything but the Ritz. When the film programme for the following week was displayed on the screen, it used to say: 'This Essoldo cinema presents ..' However, I doubt if any of the older people in Birkenhead called it the Essoldo - it was always the Ritz. Anyone interested in the subject should read an excellent book called The Silver Screens of Wirral: A History of Cinemas in Birkenhead and Bebington, by P.A. Carson.
Posted By: cathcart Re: dirk bogard at the essoldo - 10th Jan 2011 6:26am
it was definately called the essoldo. i used to go in the 50s. i also used to sell the echo outside. there are pictures with the essoldo sign where the ritz sign was.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral