Forums
Posted By: carcol2006 New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 4th Jan 2011 3:38pm
I am currently researching a possible book about The Tower and the Tower grounds if anybody has any Stories Info or Images which I can use I would be extremely grateful.

I can be contacted by email on [email protected] or by text on 07791 746885.Any info no matter how insignificant it may seem would be welcome.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 5th Jan 2011 12:41pm
Sounds like you're taking on a mammoth task to cover both the Tower and the Tower grounds. You only have to look at some of the threads on here to see how much info is available. Still, would be glad to help if I can.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 5th Jan 2011 1:47pm
Pics and info ibn my signature link....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 5th Jan 2011 1:48pm
....or more direct

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/towergrounds//index.html
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 9th Jan 2011 7:49pm
I want the book to be as comprehensive as possible and hope to get across the feeling of excitement and wonder everytime I wandered across the top car park and looked down on the grounds and when I looked up from the prom at the massive ediface that was the Tower.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 9th Jan 2011 8:00pm
If you come across any pics of the pubs that used to be in the Tower grounds please post in pub section
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 9th Jan 2011 10:03pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
If you come across any pics of the pubs that used to be in the Tower grounds please post in pub section

That would be the Lakeside, Rockpoint and The Woodlands. There were bars in the Tower building as well.

Lakeside was known as the Jap to the locals because the building was styled on a Japanese building.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 10th Jan 2011 8:04am
Ah,that must be where some of the roads got their names from that are built on the Tower Grounds.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 10th Jan 2011 9:05am
Carcol

No history of the NB Tower and grounds would be complete without reference to the bands that played in the ballroom.

From my perspective (age) this covered the various "beat" bands and the like from the late 50's and through the 60's. A certain group called the Beatles figured significantly.

A good link for information is
http://triumphpc.com/mersey-beat/a-z/towerballroom-newbrighton.shtml

Personally I recall the Beatles from the item at the top of page 3 of the given link ie Liverpool University Rag week (officially called Panto week) and the Beatles at the Tower on June 22 1962. At that date the drummer was Pete Best because Ringo did not join until August 1962

Snod
Posted By: nightwalker Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 10th Jan 2011 10:43am
Great link, Snod. I went to a lot of the shows but the one that really stands out was when Little Richard was on in 1962. What a wild night that was!! Later went on to play there in my own band a few times (1963/4). The place looked huge from the stage. After the top bands had disappeared down to London, the main problem was the ballroom was so big that even 1000 people would rattle around in there and never generated the excitement and atmosphere of the Beatles shows.
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 11th Jan 2011 10:34pm
Saw P J Proby when he split his kecks. There was a riot but not sure if splitting his kecks was the cause? laugh Bottles flying and we "kids" who had been sneaked in were quickly pulled out of harms way into the cloak room.

The manager of the tower's son used to knock around with us and he saw the lot of them for free. Stones, Beatles etc. Wish I had the foresight to get some of the posters from that time. Worth a fortune now.

Posted By: nightwalker Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 12th Jan 2011 12:37pm
I had loads of those posters. They were very bright fluorescent colours and were perfect for brightening up a dingy 60s bedroom. They were all thrown out when I got married. Biggest mistake I ever made (throwing them out, not getting married!!). Thanks for reminding me!
Posted By: nightwalker Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 12th Jan 2011 2:04pm
Map of the Tower and grounds 1904 which shows the general layout.

Attached picture 1904.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 12th Jan 2011 2:14pm
Always wondered why two Green lanes were allowed in Wallasey yet Station road in Moreton was changed to Pasture road and Victoria road in Seacombe was changed to Borough road to avoid confusion?

Posted By: ianbx1 Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 16th Jan 2011 9:19pm
Spent 3 weeks every summer there with my Gran who worked there have loads to tell just e-mail me and we can make contact
Posted By: nightwalker Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 28th Jan 2011 2:19pm
Advert 1960. I'm surprised by the chair lift - thought it was installed mid 60s.

Attached picture 19601.jpg
Posted By: Helles Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 28th Jan 2011 7:55pm
Can't get my head around this. I thought it was later but the film "I thank a fool" was made in 1962 and I have some private photo's that were taken at the time and the chairlift is definitely there.

Should ask my uncle, he did the brickwork at the bottom.
I seem to remember the chairlift getting taken down for repair or possibly moving the top station for a while. Perhaps that is the cause of confusion???
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 28th Jan 2011 10:45pm
That map that nightwalker posted is great. As I have nothing better to do at the moment I have overlayed it over the currant street layout. Its better to have it on google earth so you can fade it in and out.

Attached picture ovrly.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 28th Jan 2011 11:16pm
Great overlay Kev smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 29th Jan 2011 1:12pm
Thanks Kevin, what a great way to explain the old and the new!
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
That map that nightwalker posted is great. As I have nothing better to do at the moment I have overlayed it over the currant street layout. Its better to have it on google earth so you can fade it in and out.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: New Brighton Tower Grounds and Buildings - 29th Jan 2011 1:36pm
What a brilliant idea, Kevin. Just sorry that the old map I found isn't better quality.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral