Forums
Posted By: ManxCat Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 2:28pm
I am researching my family history and my grand father has told me of the 'Park Station' disaster which killed my great grand father. His name was Albert Kilfoyle. This was reported in the then Birkenhead Advitiser about the time of the second world war.

Can anyone remember this or have any information I would be interested.

Many thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 2:55pm
I would take it then it being the Blitz? I know a bomb struck the station.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 2:58pm
On 6 December 1922 an accident occurred at the station. The train heading to West Kirby, which was late, was leaving the station and collided with a train from West Kirby. There was one fatality and twelve people were injured. This was the only fatal passenger accident to occur on the Wirral Railway.

taken from wikipedia

Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 3:02pm
sorry, just realised you said 2nd world war,wrong dates but the woman that died in this accident was called margeret wilson,not that it matters much
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 3:22pm
Thanks for that.

Apparantly he was involved in a crane accident. He was probably involved in the clean up operation after the second world war bombs fell.

The story did make the Birkenhead Advitiser which can be viewed at the library.
Posted By: LisaW Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 3:45pm
Taken from http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/all-anniversaries/8174-day-ww2-290.html

26/09/1940

* Birkenhead: At about 1945 hours, incendiary bombs were dropped between Central Station and Morpeth Docks and fires were started at the Great Western Railway warehouse, the Customs Offices, a theatre and shop property. The tunnel between Birkenhead Park Station and Hamilton Square Station has been damaged by a bomb.

I'm assuming this is the right info as i can't find a death record for Alfred.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 4:01pm
Great find lisa thumbsup
Posted By: LisaW Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 4:04pm
Photo of the station after the bomb dropped. Post number #433198

Still trying to find a record that mentions the actual station being hit as per the photo in the link

Link

I'm hoping i have the right date smile

Just to add that this thread has interested me as My Great Grandfather was also killed in WW2 when he was sheltering during a bombing raid underneath a railway arch in East London and a bomb hit the railway line. He died 2 days later on my Nan's 21st birthday
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 4:36pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
sorry, just realised you said 2nd world war,wrong dates but the woman that died in this accident was called margeret wilson,not that it matters much

Try telling that to Margaret Wilson.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 4:42pm
I thought that too!
RIP Margret Wilson.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 5:25pm
cmon now,you know i meant that in relation to the original post
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 7:48pm
Thank you to all who have come back to me on this.

I am going through all the info you have all kindly posted and I am peacing it all together.

With the help of computers and you kind people I now have my family history dating back to 1902.

Happy New Year
Posted By: LisaW Re: Park Station Disaster - 1st Jan 2011 10:14pm
Thanks the pm smile

I've been researching my family history fo a few years now so please give me a shout if you need any help
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Park Station Disaster - 2nd Jan 2011 12:37pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
cmon now,you know i meant that in relation to the original post
tease
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Park Station Disaster - 2nd Jan 2011 7:21pm
Originally Posted by ManxCat
With the help of computers and you kind people I now have my family history dating back to 1902.

Always willing to give you a hand, with family history if you want to go further back in time wink
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Park Station Disaster - 2nd Jan 2011 7:50pm
Thank you LisaW and OxtonHill.

My grand father has given me loads of information to start me off, all I need to do now is peace it all together.

I have registered with genes reunited and wondering whether its worth subscribing as you get more access to records.

Also, I hear if you register with liverpool library they will give access to their account with ancestry.co.uk
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Park Station Disaster - 2nd Jan 2011 7:54pm
Good luck with your research.You should always start with the living to find out as much as you can. Anything that is written or in other records will always be there,if you know what I mean.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Park Station Disaster - 2nd Jan 2011 8:06pm
Thanks Bezzymate
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Park Station Disaster - 3rd Jan 2011 6:51pm

I have registered with genes reunited and wondering whether its worth subscribing as you get more access to records.Also, I hear if you register with liverpool library they will give access to their account with ancestry.co.uk

From purely a personal point of view, I'd give Genes-reunited a wide birth untill you have done a good deal more research, a lot on there is a load of old tosh.

Cannot comment on the Liverpool library bit, but if you find a link let us know?
Posted By: LisaW Re: Park Station Disaster - 3rd Jan 2011 8:50pm
Originally Posted by OxtonHill

I have registered with genes reunited and wondering whether its worth subscribing as you get more access to records.Also, I hear if you register with liverpool library they will give access to their account with ancestry.co.uk

From purely a personal point of view, I'd give Genes-reunited a wide birth untill you have done a good deal more research, a lot on there is a load of old tosh.

Cannot comment on the Liverpool library bit, but if you find a link let us know?

I have to agree. I rarely use Genes Reunited now.

To put your tree together, maybe try this link to download a free family tree program from www.familysearch.org until you get more up to speed with it all rather than wasting your money on a subscription

I can help with the odd census/birth/marriage/death record for you to get you started on a bit further back.

I've learnt never to assume what others tell you is 100% when it comes to family history (not meaning your Grandad there obviously) A Cousin of mine researched our tree in the early 90's and i have since found out that she got one of the lines wrong and researched the wrong family going back to the 1600's

Get together any certificates you can get your hands on as these are always a good start.

Other sites to use

www.freebmd.org.uk
www.ancestry.co.uk (free 14 day trial at the moment) I pay £6.95 a month for my subscription that can be cancelled at any time
www.familysearch.org
www.cheshirebmd.org.uk
www.rootschat.org (especially for brickwalls as they love a challenge on that site :))

Hope that helps

Lisa
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Park Station Disaster - 5th Jan 2011 7:12pm
Thank you again to you both.

I did start to compile my family tree on the Genes Reunited site but I have sice decided to leave that on the advice of you both. I am interested in signing up to Ancestry.com but was unsure, now Lisa has assured me. I will give it a go. I will also check out the other links.

This is all a great help.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral