Forums
Posted By: Helles Cow pies - 30th Nov 2010 9:47pm
One for the New Brighton contingent. Anyone remember Starbucks/Golden Teapot in Victoria road? It was between Windsor and Richmond streets.

Used to get massive pies there for a shilling. We called them cow pies because they looked like the ones desperate dan used to eat. Also did an extra large ice bun for a tanner. Never tasted anything as good as the pies since.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Cow pies - 30th Nov 2010 9:51pm
starbucks?
Posted By: Helles Re: Cow pies - 30th Nov 2010 10:27pm
Originally Posted by stephen1972
starbucks?

Yeh, dont ask me why but that is what the family knew it as. Assume it was the name of the owner at one time. Nothing to do with that American firm of the same name who were probably not even born at the time. Funny though I have never associated that name with the Golden Teapot until you queried it.

To my old man, the Railway was always Dungers which was one of the former landlords going way back. Back of the Neptune was always the "Tap". Organs stores was always Joe Newtons etc.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Cow pies - 30th Nov 2010 10:30pm
before my time that. I can remember shops selling rock and buckets n spades,and the fishing tackle shop with the grumpy old bloke lol
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 1:51pm
the fishing tackle shop with the grumpy old bloke lol

" ken watsons "

your right he was a grrumpy old git smile Do u remember "virgo marine" on seaview rd ? used to get our maggots from there
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 2:03pm
used to love mooching in all the "tat" shops along there before it got pulled down

I vaguely remember a fortune teller shop with a hagard old lady in it, i was only about 9 and she scared the **** out of me when she pointed a finger at me and mumbled

ran away like a whippet
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 3:15pm
Originally Posted by jabber

" ken watsons "

your right he was a grrumpy old git smile Do u remember "virgo marine" on seaview rd ? used to get our maggots from there
was it on a corner opposite massey park!
Posted By: kimpri Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 3:18pm
Originally Posted by jabber

" ken watsons "

mid 1970s I worked next door to a firm called Virgo marine,
they made small boats/fishing boats
shore rd four bridges,
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 4:47pm
mmm pie yumyum
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 5:12pm
yep

i think the guy who ran the fishing shop was also the boat builders
Posted By: kimpri Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 5:40pm
only a 2 man workforce the owner Les and a young lad he might of been cousin or nephew.
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Cow pies - 1st Dec 2010 5:48pm
IIRC the Golden Teapot is still a cafe but known as something else now. Does anyone remember Cabbies corner? The cafe run by Frankie Morrow who owns New Brighton Taxis? It used to be open 24 hours a day back in the late 1980's.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Cow pies - 2nd Dec 2010 8:52am
I remember the Golden Teapot very well, as I had to put a TV aerial up on the roof, which was fairly high, so for added safety I tied my ladders to the teapot brackets. Probably not such a good idea!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral