Forums
Posted By: detsi Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 28th Nov 2010 1:53pm
Anyone know anything about its history? I used to frequent this quaint little establishment on Wednesday nights. First, play 5-a-side at Guinea Gap, then on to Davy Jones'. Blood hell, there were more 'dogs' in there than at Crufts' bananalove
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 28th Nov 2010 5:04pm
My dad used to go there. He said they had one of those arcade machines where you bet on the horses and they race round in the glass case. Him and his mates worked out the sequence in which the horses win (no computerisation then) and then won loads of money betting on the correct horse. They won so much that the manager got fed up with them and switched it off.

Sorry that's all I know about the place.
Posted By: nightwalker Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 29th Nov 2010 11:50am
Remember it well from the 1960s. Don’t think I ever went in there sober as we used to go there after the pubs had closed (10.00pm in those days I think!!). Always got a stay-behind cos we knew the manager/part owner, Ray Wood. Ray later became Wirral Council’s tourism manager. I think there was some connection with the Melody Inn Club in Grove Road. I remember it always being freezing in the winter and hot in the summer cos the windows wouldn’t open. Got a reputation for being a bit of a dive (you’re probably right with your Crufts comment now I think back!!) and was a bit scruffy but had good beer, good music and ‘flexible’ opening hours. What else could a bunch of young lads want?

Don’t know a lot about the history. It was in the Eggy Ferry terminal building and I think there was a club there before (the Navy Club?).
Posted By: detsi Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 29th Nov 2010 2:35pm
Originally Posted by nightwalker
Remember it well from the 1960s. Don’t think I ever went in there sober as we used to go there after the pubs had closed (10.00pm in those days I think!!). Always got a stay-behind cos we knew the manager/part owner, Ray Wood. Ray later became Wirral Council’s tourism manager. I think there was some connection with the Melody Inn Club in Grove Road. I remember it always being freezing in the winter and hot in the summer cos the windows wouldn’t open. Got a reputation for being a bit of a dive (you’re probably right with your Crufts comment now I think back!!) and was a bit scruffy but had good beer, good music and ‘flexible’ opening hours. What else could a bunch of young lads want?

Don’t know a lot about the history. It was in the Eggy Ferry terminal building and I think there was a club there before (the Navy Club?).

Yeah, that could be. I often wondered why a late night drinking dive would be so out of the way, it must have been converted from some much more respectable type of venue.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 29th Nov 2010 3:23pm
Originally Posted by detsi
Anyone know anything about its history? I used to frequent this quaint little establishment on Wednesday nights. First, play 5-a-side at Guinea Gap, then on to Davy Jones'. Blood hell, there were more 'dogs' in there than at Crufts' bananalove
wirral pubs past & present smile look here
Posted By: detsi Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 29th Nov 2010 5:38pm
Thanks for the link. That photo took me back a bit but I don't think that I ever saw the place in the daylight.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 30th Nov 2010 9:06am

Bet you took some home!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 30th Nov 2010 10:28am
Bloody hell, if they were dogs when you had your beer goggles on then they must have been a bit roverish.
Posted By: detsi Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 30th Nov 2010 10:38am
Originally Posted by Tatey

Bet you took some home!

Woof woof!! happy
Posted By: kimpri Re: Davy Jones Locker, Egremont Ferry - 30th Nov 2010 2:08pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
wirral pubs past & present smile look here
Egremont(approx) 1895 smile

Attached picture egremontferry2.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral