Forums
Posted By: arsenal priory buildings - 5th Nov 2010 8:51pm
does anyone have any photos or memories of priory buildings.i didnt live there but iknocked round there with my mates and brother in the early 60's
Posted By: davew3 Re: priory buildings - 5th Nov 2010 10:22pm
There is about and I think it's on you-tube a memories of Wirral video 1920s,30s and if my memory is correct it shows a street type party for the Coronation of king George IV in 1936 ,the mayor and the usual hangers were in attendance.
Posted By: BJH4488 Re: priory buildings - 6th Nov 2010 10:22am
I have also tried to find photos/info about Priory Building (apparently I spent my first 6 months there). The only photo I found is this one...I believe Priory Buildings are those just behind the shipyard. I also have an early map showing them if interested

Attached picture graysonshipyard.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: priory buildings - 6th Nov 2010 10:44am
My mate used to live there until they pulled them down.
Will ask him if you have any particular queries you want to know
he's 66
Posted By: kimpri Re: priory buildings - 6th Nov 2010 11:04am

Priory Buildings

Attached picture banger_pictures_016.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: priory buildings - 6th Nov 2010 11:13am
these pics may help a bit
looking at the numbers on map I thought there were more flats
not sure how many balconies there were - 4?

Attached picture priory buildings1.jpg
Attached picture priory_buldings_.jpg
Posted By: nuddy Re: priory buildings - 6th Nov 2010 2:43pm
Try searcing for cammel lairds on the website, 20th centuary images. There is a few pics of these buildings on there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: priory buildings - 6th Nov 2010 5:07pm
Priory Buildings would of been demolished AFTER 31st October 1968. I should know. I was born there and lived at No.61.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: priory buildings - 10th Dec 2010 9:15pm
Finally managed to track down a few photos of Priory Buildings in the mid-60s, but there don't seem to be many others around.

Attached picture Priory_Buildings_1.jpg
Attached picture Priory_Buildings_2.jpg
Attached picture Priory_Buildings_3.jpg
Attached picture Priory_Buildings_4.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: priory buildings - 10th Dec 2010 9:19pm
nice pics where did you find them?
Posted By: jimbob Re: priory buildings - 10th Dec 2010 10:22pm
see the first photo showing the town end of the block with the name and telephone pole in the forground. spent a lot of time arround there in the mid 50s as it was the meeting point for a lot of us {teds}in those days.
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 4th Jun 2011 7:45pm
Yes I lived at 40 Priory buildings in the mid sixtees, got loads of memories, Alan.
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 4th Jun 2011 7:51pm
Hi , I lived at 40 Priory Buildings until they pulled them down.
Posted By: Tatey Re: priory buildings - 5th Jun 2011 7:51am
I used to go out with a girl that lived there!
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 5th Jun 2011 2:29pm
Probibly my sister she was the Priory bike
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 5th Jun 2011 3:05pm
Anyone fancy starting a Priory Buildings and Abbey buildings Reunion ? ?
Posted By: poodlepup Re: priory buildings - 5th Jun 2011 3:16pm
Originally Posted by summer01
i would fancy that

Did you live there?
Posted By: Tatey Re: priory buildings - 6th Jun 2011 6:43am
Originally Posted by birket
Probibly my sister she was the Priory bike

I am sure it wasn't! I was in love!!! & her sister wasn't bad either.
Posted By: elizamarie Re: priory buildings - 3rd Jul 2012 11:25pm
my friend Ann McGrath used to live there too and she is trying to fine photos or information on anyone who lived there. she is interested in peoples memories
Posted By: elizamarie Re: priory buildings - 3rd Jul 2012 11:27pm
if you do would you let me know so that I can tell my friend who used to live ther
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: priory buildings - 10th Sep 2012 10:34am
Nice to see all the dry docks having boats,Business was good for lairds in them days
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 10th Sep 2012 6:58pm
my mum l sinnett is ur name alan tippy my mum lied in num 1 old priory
Posted By: chriskay Re: priory buildings - 10th Sep 2012 7:45pm
Originally Posted by msinno1969
my mum l sinnett is ur name alan tippy my mum lied in num 1 old priory

Please re-write that in English.
Posted By: Tatey Re: priory buildings - 11th Sep 2012 6:58am
May I make a guess, but I am not good with Moldavian.

Her mother was I. Sinnett.
Is your name Alan Tippy?
My mother lived in number 1 Old Priory.
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 11th Sep 2012 7:06am
hello do you know the sinnetts from old priory ive looked everywhere for that road cant find it
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 11th Sep 2012 9:50am
I lived at 40 priory buildings as a kid, a Reunion would be fantastic.
Posted By: georgetheking Re: priory buildings - 11th Sep 2012 12:12pm
hya yes i used to go round there " the kewleys i think they lived in number 24 it brings back my childhood days
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 11th Sep 2012 12:25pm
I knew the Kewleys well.
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 12th Sep 2012 1:16am
hi ther just found this thread, I was born in priory bldgs,
in number 38 next to the top end stairwell,
the fotos show my aunty maggy and mrs steele in blue pinny, she lived next door,
the motorbike belonged to charlie and john williams's dad...(no relation,,)by the way
my names williams, but family name dobbins,and knew lilly sinett as well, ann mcgrath, ran a reunion many years ago, she lives in lower tranmere,......would welcome any feedback, from the flats and also Shaftesbury Boys Club,
also Priory street, my best mate Peter Akerman lived there,,opposite steenes sweet shop...by the sinnets

ive been looking for fotos of the flats like this for years...many thanks indeed
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 12th Sep 2012 1:19am
the priory buildings were further left of this fotie. nearer the old priory
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: Priory Buildings - 12th Sep 2012 11:51am
thanks so much my mum used to play their but she lived in old priory and went to pligram street school can anyone find any photos of them i would be very very geatful msinno69
Posted By: marty99fred Re: priory buildings - 12th Sep 2012 10:20pm
Here's a couple of photos of Old Priory and one of the kids' playground at the end of Leicester Street. Also some aerial shots of the area, the first two from 1959, the third from 1961, the fourth from 1966 and the last from 1967.

Attached picture Old_Priory_1.jpg
Attached picture Old_Priory_2.jpg
Attached picture Playground_-_Leicester_Street.jpg
Attached picture Aerial_1959a.jpg
Attached picture Aerial_1959b.jpg
Attached picture Aerial_1961.jpg
Attached picture Aerial_1966.jpg
Attached picture Aerial_1967.jpg
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 13th Sep 2012 1:47am
I so remember jumping from each bollard round the waste ground, pictured. and Johnny holmes jumping them like a racehorse,,,lol...his brother davy was my mate at the time, living in the corner house at the top of priory street,
and getting swung round by twisting the chain swing round the maypole, and getting flung higher as mates swung on the theirs under mine....there was a cafe by the swings Ghalaghers i think where my sister ann worked, she sent me for 5 woodies and a book of matches at the shop in chester street and ide recieve a threepeny bit for going.....
and not forgetting chester street mission (sunday school) we had to go to give our mum some peace...
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 13th Sep 2012 2:18am
I lived in 38, were you on the other side of the stairwell, would like to know who you are ?????....did my dad cut your ear whilst giving a haircut........lol
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: priory buildings - 13th Sep 2012 10:22am
we lived next door but one to the letters pub,chester street in rooms,above a shop, from 1948 to 1964, remember sheridans milk bar.
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 15th Sep 2012 12:45pm
YEAH LILY SINNETT REMEMBERS ALL THEM FROM THE PRIORY SHE WAS SAYING MRS STEEL WITH THE BLUE PINNIE LOL
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 16th Sep 2012 1:35am
I have a book ive been compiling with all the folk who lived in the flats, ill see if i can dig it out and put some names on here, see if she can add to it, and maybe give her some more memories,,, lol,, give my love to lilian. i remember her from the good ol days,...
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 16th Sep 2012 5:43pm
I remember the sinnetts, I lived at No 40 priory buildings next door to Mrs Steel. they weren't good times for me.
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 16th Sep 2012 11:26pm
Hi Birket,,,did you have a brother, Charlie,
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 8:09pm
Anyone remember the Mc.Ready's, Annie was the mother's name, there were about five sons, and no girls, that would be in the 40s to 60s.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 8:21pm
I am Alan Tippy's cousin, I didn't live in the Priory Buildings, I lived over one of the shops in Chester Street, next door but one to the Letters pub, opposite the Birkenhead Arms, I remember auntie May,uncle Jack, Dorothy, John, and Ilene Tippy, my name at that time was Oldam, Mike was my brother.
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 8:21pm
Hi, yes I had a brother called Charlie Wilson, give me a clue who you are, you obviously knew us.
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 9:32pm
Hi birket, ive just tried to pm you as i dont want to put personal information on here, it says you are over your pm limit, so wont let me,
charlie had a brother and a sister, and i presume you are the brother, im slightly older by a couple of years than you and lived next to the stairs on the ground level...i spoke to an old priory and shafts lad not long ago and remembered your family, along with others..i have a photo i will post on here and see if you recognise any faces,,,,,
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 9:48pm
I dont know how to empty my PM box but if you want to make contact for a chat my phone number is 606 9906
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 10:11pm
will do that sounds ok. ill do so at a reasonable hour though..lol
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 10:22pm
I look forward to it.
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 17th Sep 2012 11:54pm
can you name any of these kids... im here with my brother..I can put names to some but not to all.......

Attached picture priory_urchins.jpg
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 18th Sep 2012 12:19am
can anyone name the pub... i see a "BUFFS" logo in the glass above the door...any more information would be appreciated

Attached picture dadinpub.jpg
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 18th Sep 2012 12:23am
his is me outside 38 in my Cute era

Description: must have been off to chester street mission,,,,for sunday school
Attached picture frankinhat.jpg
Posted By: Tatey Re: priory buildings - 18th Sep 2012 6:33am
Something I notice about these three last pictures is that they are all "nice" looking people. Not a criminal or "hard" face amongst them.
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 18th Sep 2012 5:52pm
Having lived there , I would say there were hard times which bred a tougher type of folk, some supposedly "hard", but I do remember quite vividly that we left the key in the door without fear of burglary,,and youre neighbours looked out for each other, we had bugger all but had much more in being unafraid to play out without all the fears we face today, there would be someone looking out for you, that is something that kids nowadays are missing out on,,Oh and I have other foties where we dont look so well clothed.....or shod...
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 18th Sep 2012 8:11pm
I have wrote and published a book about my life in Priory buildings, its very powerful. If we can arrange it you can have a copy.
Posted By: jimbob Re: priory buildings - 18th Sep 2012 8:22pm
Possibly the Royal Castle on the corner of Ivy Street, one of there rooms was set up as a buffs meeting room, seem to remember it when i use to play snooker in that pub of a dinner time during the early 60s with a crowd of mates from work {Lairds}
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 19th Sep 2012 1:33am
Hi Birket, that sounds very interesting, will look forward to having a chat soon as my work load gets a little lighter, do you have the isbn number for your book ill look for a copy and be very interested in reading it
many thanks.
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 19th Sep 2012 1:39am
Hi jimbob,
I know he went to that pub along with may others,lol, there were so many in the area, seem to remember waiting on the steps asking if he was in there to other customers, when mum wanted him for dinner time,,cant remember if he always came when called. but looked forward to the glass of pop and bag of crisps, with a blue wrapper of salt in them....when he did.....
Oh and the coppers from his pocket he would let us have....
Posted By: Tatey Re: priory buildings - 19th Sep 2012 6:41am
birket,

You are over you PM level, but I would like to buy a copy of your book. So, more details please?
Posted By: georgetheking Re: priory buildings - 20th Sep 2012 3:34pm
hya you dont know me but i used to go to the kewleys not sure wat number though i often heard my auntie dolly often talking about may tippy
Posted By: chriskay Re: priory buildings - 20th Sep 2012 9:10pm
Originally Posted by georgetheking
hya you dont know me but i used to go to the kewleys not sure wat number though i often heard my auntie dolly often talking about may tippy

Hi, georgetheking, have you read your PM?
It's the flashing envelope on "My Stuff".
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: priory buildings - 22nd Sep 2012 7:36pm
Does anyone remember Manner Kelly, I think he had a bit of a gang, one of them was Sty Evans.
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 24th Sep 2012 2:04pm
oh my mum would love a copy can you tell me where i can get it plese thanks m.sinno1969
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 24th Sep 2012 3:53pm
The book will be hard to get now, they sold like hot cakes. But if you call this number I'll sort you a copy
Posted By: rosieb Re: priory buildings - 24th Sep 2012 4:20pm
my husband from 23 Priory Buildings Bentley
Posted By: birket Re: priory buildings - 24th Sep 2012 4:49pm
FOR A COPY e MAIL ME AT [email protected]
Posted By: rosieb Re: priory buildings - 25th Sep 2012 4:08pm
Riche Moores bike or Robbie Ellons this is the front block Williams lived back block not there bikes
Posted By: baggyuncle51 Re: priory buildings - 25th Sep 2012 10:36pm
hi rosieb.... I realised that the next day, Thats the problem with wiki...I stay up far too late,,,lol....that was a very late night....sorry..
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 30th Sep 2012 8:21am
Me mum Lily used to go to school with your sister Rose.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: priory buildings - 30th Sep 2012 12:47pm
My Nan and Grandad lived there for quite a while. I think Kitty Holmes used to live there too, a name I've dragged up from that time. There used to be a load of them who worked at the Ropps (the pig intestines to sausage skins place) down at Cathcart Dock. Trying like hell to remember more.
Actually Kitty's surname might have been O'Leary, grey cells whirring.
Posted By: rosieb Re: priory buildings - 30th Sep 2012 8:52pm
are NORA tell ye mum bengo an rose say hi
Posted By: georgetheking Re: priory buildings - 1st Oct 2012 6:01am
Yeah, great family. My mum married Dolly's brother Ben & do I know you?
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 2nd Oct 2012 6:15am
Me mum said was it Bengo who me mam Lilan Sinnett used to play in the flats with Robbey and Tony. laugh
Posted By: rosieb Re: priory buildings - 3rd Oct 2012 9:16pm
yes with Griffo ,Rayo,an Sharky
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 4th Oct 2012 5:59am
Hi, Rose. When she read your message she was laughing; she was talking to Bengos sister Carol last week.
Posted By: jimbob Re: priory buildings - 4th Oct 2012 4:48pm
I remember a lad Sharky from Priory buildings{in the mid 50s}also Pat Fletcher, Billy Kelly, is this the period of time you are talking about or am I from an earlier age group.
Posted By: rosieb Re: priory buildings - 4th Oct 2012 8:30pm
60s they would of only been 6 or 7 in the mid 50s.
Posted By: dool4lit4tle Re: priory buildings - 6th Oct 2012 12:43pm
Hi, does anyone remember the manner(kelly) gang? sty evans was one of them,they were considered to be the so called bad lads of the area. compared to some of today's bad lads they were gentlemen.
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 11th Nov 2012 10:13am
Thank you so much. My mum Lily Sinnett can't wait. My email is [email protected]
Posted By: msinno1969 Re: priory buildings - 4th Jan 2015 9:41am
happy new year to everyone could anyone help me iam trying to find white street in birkenhead plese thank you
Posted By: bert1 Re: priory buildings - 4th Jan 2015 10:08am
Originally Posted by msinno1969
happy new year to everyone could anyone help me iam trying to find white street in birkenhead plese thank you

Marked Red

Attached picture white st.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: priory buildings - 4th Jan 2015 10:16am
50s, White st

Attached picture white 50.JPG
Posted By: derekdwc Re: priory buildings - 4th Jan 2015 10:44am
Denbigh Castle White Street/ 4 - 6 St MAry's Gate
1876 MAP Denbighshire iNN

The Pub closed 1950

Vaguely recall a Stevie Sinnett when I used to go to the Shaftsbury Boys Club 1957ish - not too far from that area

Attached picture DENBIGH_PUB.jpg
Attached picture denbigh.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral