Forums
Posted By: chris58 slatey road police station - 22nd Oct 2010 9:55pm
driving down slatey road last week and wondered where the police station would have been that was bombed in the war. Anyone know?
Cheers
Posted By: davew3 Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 12:15am
Right next to the Art Gallery on the corner where the carpark is,forgot what the road is called by where the carpark is.
Posted By: cmw2a Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 1:35am
There's a photo of it somewhere on this site
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 1:52am
Originally Posted by cmw2a
There's a photo of it somewhere on this site
some pics are here somewhere lol!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 1:57am
I can't find them on the site - but they are around somewhere, here are a couple of copies...

Attached picture 000398.Birkenhead1950s-Slatey Road_jpg.jpg
Attached picture Slatey-Road-1940s-477.JPG
Posted By: cmw2a Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 1:59am
I remember that police station very well, if it was bombed they must have managed to keep it going long after the war finished.
Try this link for the photograph: http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/4/22/wirral-birkenhead(3).html
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 2:06am
Remove the http
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: slatey road police station - 23rd Oct 2010 9:23am
It was hit on 29th September 1940. The window in the top left was totally gone. It had been sandbagged almost to the top of the first floor. It was deemed to badly damaged for further use. Don't know when it was pulled down.
Posted By: cmw2a Re: slatey road police station - 24th Oct 2010 1:28am
Hmmm... ok - but I wasn't born in 1940 and it was our local police station when I was little, my dad used to work part time at the art gallery next door and I went in the police station several times! Never mind, doesn't matter anyway.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: slatey road police station - 25th Oct 2010 7:12am
I wasn't born in 1940 either. There's a photo of it with bomb damage in Yesterday's Birkenhead by Iam Boumphrey (page 91) and I am not a structural engineer but it doesn't look that badly damaged and seems more like close blast damage rather than something fatal like a directr hit. On the same page is a picture of severe bomb damage to Bernard's Ironmongers which survived. So maybe it was repaired. Maybe someone can clear this up?
Posted By: cmw2a Re: slatey road police station - 26th Oct 2010 1:27am
Getting there...
I emailed the Merseyside Police tonight and got this response:

Thankyou for your email, I can confirm that this police station was still operational throughout the 1940's but unfortunately I am not privvy to any records of when this building was demolished. Your local library is likely
to have records of this type.
Regards,
Merseyside Police

Posted By: chris58 Re: slatey road police station - 31st Oct 2010 4:45pm
Thanks for info everyone
© Wirral-Wikiwirral