Forums
Posted By: inflatablebone Houses not Polaris - 3rd Oct 2010 9:45pm
Watching 'George Gently' tonight with the sub plot of Polaris protests reminded me of the 'Houses not Polaris 'and CND symbol daubed on the wall by the junction of Hinderton and Pearson roads (that then run down toward Argyle St and Central station),were it remained for many years.

Always quite iconic to me,I was wondering what year it first appeared , if there was any specific local issue that sparked it's appearance (e.g. a Lairds build)and ultimately does anybody here know who did it? (no names obviously !)

Posted By: kimpri Re: Houses not Polaris - 3rd Oct 2010 11:06pm
I can remember that, On the wall past the steps
Posted By: bert1 Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 5:43am
Don't know what year exactly that graffiti appeared, it would have been in the early sixties to coincide with Lairds obtaining the order to build Polaris. Don't know who put it on there, probably done by one of the great unwashed of the time. In my view, not only did the Polaris provide many much needed jobs in this and other areas, it has helped in the security of this country and as nuclear deterrents go,it has helped in maintaining world peace in the most part. Though countries have had their skirmishers at least we haven't had another Big One.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 7:18am
I remember a CND walk from the Town hall along Conway st to Park entrance in early sixties,It was quite a friendly if I remember.
Posted By: yoller Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 7:47am
I remember the graffiti on the wall, but I thought it said: 'People Not Polaris'
Posted By: philmch Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 10:06am
Ah yes, as long as there were jobs in Birkenhead I suppose it made the threat of obliterating people in other countries ok.

Interesting the way some people use the magic word "jobs" to justify what they do in just the same way that others use the magic word "God" to justify theirs.

I'm with "the great unwashed". There are more important things than jobs.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 2:44pm
Originally Posted by philmch
Ah yes, as long as there were jobs in Birkenhead I suppose it made the threat of obliterating people in other countries ok.

Interesting the way some people use the magic word "jobs" to justify what they do in just the same way that others use the magic word "God" to justify theirs.

I'm with "the great unwashed". There are more important things than jobs.

I agree, no world wars and world peace. The fact there has been no world wars since we have had a nuclear deterent speaks volumes.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 4:06pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I agree, no world wars and world peace. The fact there has been no world wars since we have had a nuclear deterrent speaks volumes.

withthat
Posted By: jimbob Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 8:51pm
wonder who provides the money for the great unwashed and the like who get by in life by not working
Posted By: chriskay Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 9:29pm
I suppose it made the threat of obliterating people in other countries ok.

Yes, the threat has worked pretty well.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Houses not Polaris - 4th Oct 2010 9:52pm
I suppose it made the threat of obliterating people in other countries ok.

I think that happened a long time before nuclear energy was even dreamed of.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral