Forums
Posted By: derekdwc What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 2:24pm

has anyone got these and can tell me how good they are for info
also are there any for Birkenhead re 1950s on cd

http://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/acatalog/Liverpool_Directories_on_C_D_.html

Gore's Directory of Liverpool 1853 (Inc.Suburbs) [UK-DIR-1853]
Includes :- Aigburth, Birkenhead, Bootle, Brownlow Hill, Edge Hill, Egremont, Everton, Fazakerley, Great Crosby, Higher Tranmere, Kirkdale, Knotty Ash, Linacre, Liscard, Litherland, Liverpool (City Centre), Low Hill, Maghull, Mount Pleasant, Mount Vernon, Much Woolton, New Brighton, New Ferry, Old Swan, Oxton, Rock Ferry, Seacombe, Seaforth, Stanley, Toxteth Park, Tranmere, Wallasey Village, Wavertree & West Derby

Kelly's Directory of Liverpool & Birkenhead 1894 [UK-DIR-1894]
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 2:46pm
Most of the electronic directories pop up for free on the internet if you keep your eye out.

The Cheshire Council site has directories on from 1789 to 1910 which are downloadable.

There is a bit of hole from WW2 to later on in the century, I guess the older directories have been prioritised.
Posted By: littlestan Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 2:49pm
There is a site called Directories On-Line where you will be able to access some
such Directories.BUT only one or two are digitised for 1860 or thereabouts for
this area . It is a NATIONAL Website so has Dirs. avail for other towns and cities
throughout the U.K. For Birkenhead and Wirral you may also look for info in
Bradshaws Directory of Cheshire as we were part of Cheshire County of course
until 1974 . Such books are avail. in Birkenhead Reference Library and in
Bebington Library Ref Dept upstairs . They are massive ,heavy books and you
need to allow time to study them to find the business or address you are
looking for. I have one or two at home -or extracts i have photocopied.
From the1950s onwards the use of G.P.O . phone dirs became much more
prevalent -either Listings for businesses or for private addresses.
Street directories are another matter. These simply act like an A-Z does today.
They were pblsd by L'Pool Daily Post/Echo . We now use Sat.Navs just to find
where a partic Road or Street is !! Does that help ? I can recommend other
methods if you get stuck as i am regular Local History 'nut " .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 2:58pm
Cheshire Directories
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 3:23pm
Earlston Reference Library have Directories from the 1840s to the 1960s but they don't have the 1930s. Something they (and I) would love to get hold of.

I use this :-

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 3:31pm
thanks DD very helpful am downloading them all
Would like to have Birkenhead infos for about every 20 years up to present day if possible just to see how things change

Littlestan would be interested if you can help info about other
directories downloadable or on cd/dvd towards this
I have
Wilmers 1916 Street Directory
Mawdsley 1861
Mortimer & Harwood 1843
and am downloading from DDs post site
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 3:48pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Earlston Reference Library have Directories from the 1840s to the 1960s but they don't have the 1930s.
Dont plan a visit in next week or two. They are closed. Think its for refurb.
Posted By: Helles Re: What are these street directories like - 23rd Sep 2010 7:40pm
Earlston library has a number of them missing due to being destroyed by bombing in the war. Birkenhead has the full set unless someone has nicked any and yes that does happen. Selfish gits that some people are!

You can look up by name or street which is handy to cross reference. Like gold dust if you get your hands on any, legal ones and not nicked from the library of course.
Posted By: genlock Re: What are these street directories like - 25th Sep 2010 6:49pm
In the early nineties I came across the Gores Directories in Liverpool central library.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=liverpool+Central+Library&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=Central+Library&hnear=Liverpool&cid=0,0,6012675036031146771&ei=sUSeTLC9J47KjAfclty1DQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQnwIwAQ

This is Opposite the exit of the Birkenhead tunnel in Liverpool.

Good hunting smile
Birkenhead Library has got most directories. Gores and Kelly plus lots of maps.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral