Forums
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 2:59pm
Is anyone aware of where Fern Villa might have stood along Woodchurch Road? Someone on a genealogy forum is looking for information about it.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 3:29pm
95 Woodchurch Road, according to the 1911 Census

Somewhere near the Co-Op Funeral Parlour, according to google maps.

Ill leave it to you to post on RootsChat wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 4:12pm
In 1878 there was ....Kennedy Thomas, Fern villa, East bank,
Woodcurch road in Oxton.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 4:16pm
Note: East Bank is the little road/path opposite Woodchurch Road School.
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 4:44pm
Interesting. I know the school as my son goes there, and I know the little lane.

According to OxtonHill its on the 1911 census as 95 Woodchurch Road, but that would be the other side of the road to East Bank.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 7:30pm
95 Woodchurch Road IS the funeral parlour, I vaguelly remember that being built (as T A Ball funeral directors), but I can't remember what was there before hand, maps show there were a couple of buildings on that land but no names.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 7:50pm
dd. I went to Woody Road 1950-55 (?). I remember that it (Funeral Director's) was bomb damaged, then rebuilt. Presume it got blatted in the same raid as the one that demolished the RH wing of the school. Heard stories of people being killed in the adjacent air raid shelters in the same raid.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 7:58pm
There's quite a few pictures of the bomb damage to the school's air raid shelter and the school itself, I will have to check them out.

I think the caretakers house survived without damage.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 21st Sep 2010 9:20pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
95 Woodchurch Road IS the funeral parlour, I vaguely remember that being built (as T A Ball funeral directors)

That was the funeral directors who buried my gran.

Attached picture 2010-09-21 22-12-25_0142.jpg
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 22nd Sep 2010 7:54am
According to the 1911 Enumerators book list, the numbers run as follows:
87,89,91,93 Woodchurch Road, Shops.
95 (Fern Villa) Private House.
97 Private House
99 Woodchurch Road School.
101 Woodchurch Road, Private House.

From the actual image, 95 seems to be split into two dwellings, one family having 5 rooms & one having 2 rooms, only the 1 having two rooms describes itself as being Fern Villa, the other just 95 Woodchurch Road.
Posted By: detsi Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 22nd Sep 2010 8:50am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
dd. I went to Woody Road 1950-55 (?).

So did I. Then we all were shipped out to Prenton Primary in Northwood Road while Woody Road's bomb damage was repaired. We would get off the bus at Swan Hill and walk the length of Northwood Road. It seemed like miles. Can you imagine that these days when all the little dears get transported by car to around the corner.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fern Villa, Woodchurch Road? - 22nd Sep 2010 9:26am
detsi - you have a PM.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral