Forums
Posted By: Bezzymate Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 8:58pm
My Grandad owned Griffith Funeral home on Liscard Rd.Does anyone have any memories of it?
On a funny note, when it closed down after he died,it became a 'body repair centre'!!!
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 9:09pm
Lol!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 9:21pm
I used to live above the Co-op funeral parlour on Liscard Road but I can't think of where Griffiths Funeral parlour was. Enlighten me please.
Posted By: Helles Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 11:00pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
I used to live above the Co-op funeral parlour on Liscard Road but I can't think of where Griffiths Funeral parlour was. Enlighten me please.

I concur. Griffith's were well known but Liscard road?
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 11:18pm
Wasn't it opposite St John's Church, or a bit further along by Church St?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 11:22pm
Church Road IS opposite St John's Church!
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 11th Sep 2010 11:22pm
Opposite the shops? Or is that the co.op?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 12:51am
Opposite the shops is flats now, was waste ground before, 'Surewin' bingo before that and a cinema before that.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 12:55am
I not been that way 4 years i remember a kiosk tho.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 1:01am
The kiosk was opposite the park entrance at the top of Church Street, near to the Kings Arms.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 1:09am
That the 1 kings arms so was co.op further down same side? Dont recall other funeral place. Lots of people of diff ages on here most stuff i aint got clue.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 1:32am
The Co-op is on the same side as the Kings near the Burbo fuel station.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 1:34am
We await the answer. Guess funeral place was long time ago?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 1:42am
My bad, it's Murco fuel station not Burbo.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 5:32am

The 1938 Kelly Directory doesn't give it a number, but it is after No 68, between Falkland Road and Church Lane.

Attached picture griffith.jpg
Posted By: john1788 Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 8:20am
was it next to the kings arms,what is now new flats and a chippy.
Posted By: daveybm Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 8:35am
You are correct with the location, after a funeral home it was a workshop doing car body repairs.

Dave
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 9:30am
Sorrt I should have put were it was on Liscard Rd, but at least it got a few of you thinking!
It was next to the King's Pub and you would drive down the side to reach the garage part at the rear.
My Dad (now deceased)thought that in Church Lane there was Wallasey's smallest house?
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 10:24am
Just to jog a few memories, here's James Griffith & sons in 1966...

Attached picture Griffith1.jpg
Attached picture Griffith3.jpg
Attached picture Griffith4.jpg
Attached picture Griffith2.jpg
Attached picture Griffith5.jpg
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 10:25am
Lol at the cars
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 10:30am
wow you got any more pics like that of the wallasey area?
amazing happy
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 10:53am
i wonder when did Parkside become one way???also , the mix of cars ,ie , " modern ones" like the mini , on the road with cars that you might see in a Will Hay film.
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 11:59am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
wow you got any more pics like that of the wallasey area?
amazing happy

Yeah, quite a few, mainly from the late 50s and early 60s.
Posted By: Michelle_Louise Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 2:58pm
I got a bit confused for a moment when I first read this post as I never realised there was more than one Griffith & Son funeral home in Liscard. My Late Great-Grandad owened John William Griffith & Son which is still at Millbank on Mill Lane.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 7:25pm
JW.Griffith was my grandad's older brother.
James Griffith as shown on the liscard rd funeral home was their father.
There was some sort of a fall out and JW set up on his own,first in Liscard Cresent and also Grange Bank,West Kirby.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 12th Sep 2010 7:28pm
Thankyou so much for those photos,the family will just love them!!!
Posted By: Iaint Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 16th Sep 2010 7:53pm
If i recall didnt it become Taylor's body repair?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 16th Sep 2010 8:10pm
Originally Posted by Iaint
If i recall didnt it become Taylor's body repair?
That's ironic if you think about it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 16th Sep 2010 9:20pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
That's ironic if you think about it.

Which is more or less what Bezzymate said right at the start of this topic!!!!!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 16th Sep 2010 9:23pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Which is more or less what Bezzymate said right at the start of this topic!!!!!!
as a bat raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 16th Sep 2010 9:31pm
doh Indeed!!!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 17th Sep 2010 7:00am
Go easy guys, he's a beginner!!!!
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 18th Sep 2010 5:58pm
I remeber the red neon sign in the window saying 'Body repairs'.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 18th Sep 2010 6:01pm
Does anyone remember the shlter behind the kiosk? It was converted from the lower deck of a former Wallasey tram. sure it survived until the early 1970s. Morons set it on fire.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Griffith Funeral Home, Liscard Rd.My - 18th Sep 2010 6:01pm
Then it had to be taken away.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral