Forums
Posted By: greasby_lad Brick works, Swan Hill, Woodchurch Road - 11th Sep 2010 6:29am
Does anyone have any photos of the brick works and clay pits at Swan Hill, Woodchurch Road? I believe these were still in place (but abandoned) in the 1950s.

Description: Brick works, Swan Hill
Attached picture Swan Hill brick works 1910 & modern maps.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Brick works, Swan Hill, Woodchurch Road - 11th Sep 2010 8:06am
Myself and some school pals went to see the demolition of the brickworks chimney. I've got a cutting and photo taken from the Birkenhead News. It was either 1958 or 59 when that happened, but the site was disused - and a great playground, for a couple of years before that.

I'll try and dig out the cutting with the info and photo on. They demolished the chimney Fred Dibnah style. Removed the bricks from one side whilst propping it up with railway sleepers. Set fire to the timber and wait !

Before the dust had settled, a bloke was running along the mound of bricks rolling up the copper lightning conductor strip. The price of copper must have been high then as well as now !

We used to "mess about" with the trucks on the narrow gauge railway there. The wooden trucks containing clay were hauled by an endless rope system to the (presumably)brick moulding shed and the kilns.
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Brick works, Swan Hill, Woodchurch Road - 15th Sep 2010 2:28pm
I know there was a minor brick works or buildings to do with the brick works on the Holmlands Estate towards the grassed area known as the half. There was also a small pond next to it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral