Forums
Posted By: Robbo1878 House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 7:56pm
I recently noticed that if walking up Singleton Avenue from Borough Road the houses on the left hand side start at number 11. Could anyone shed any light as to where numbers 1,3,5,7, and 9 have gone ?
It would be much appreciated. Cheers
Posted By: Helles Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 8:04pm
Possibly bombed in the war? Must have been there at one time.
Posted By: jimbob Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 8:21pm
perhaps the lad numbering the plan layout for the houes had double vision {No 1 became No11}ha ha. Forget about bomb damage as there is not the room to have more houses lower than the existing first one on the left
Posted By: Capt_America Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 8:29pm
Anyone got any old maps?
Posted By: Capt_America Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 8:46pm
Oh and by the way Robbo1878, welcome to the Wiki Wirral machine.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 8:49pm
Interesting questions, nothing has significantly changed since they were built, there isn't even room for 5 houses with the entry and the old Martin's (Barclays) Bank being on the corner.

I can only think it was an unusual attempt at matching up the numbers with the other side of the road, as the first house above Highgreen is No 12.

Number 11 doesn't seem to appear on the Council Tax Valuation list, are you sure it doesn't start at 13?
Posted By: xantr Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 9:15pm
The numbering might be wrong because where the tech college use to be, was at one time intended to be a railway terminal. The houses on the right starting from twelve will no doubt be because the now open area, where the shops stood up until a couple of years ago was an omnibus terminal for John Pye buses from Heswall. Crosville Motor Company took this operator over mid 1920's and developed that corner even more. Passengers from the Heswall area had to get off the bus at this point and board a Corporation tram or walk into town.
Posted By: chriskay Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 10:04pm
xantr; I'd be interested to learn what you know about a rail terminal at the tech. college site, or maybe it was to be just a station on the proposed link line from Central station to the Wrexham line at Woodchurch. Have you seen this thread?
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...ndonded_train_station_Si.html#Post424819

Welcome to Wiki.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 10:16pm
Never thought of that, it would have been ideal location for a station at the tech site.

I feel an archive hunt coming on.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 10:20pm
Hmm guys get digging!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 10:20pm
Go for it DD, if you can't find, no-one can!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 9th Sep 2010 10:22pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Go for it DD, if you can't find, no-one can!
yep with that bud!
Posted By: Robbo1878 Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 10th Sep 2010 8:10am
It does start at nymber 13 sorry DIG. Is it possible that number 13 used to be some kind of flats ? I know the first house on the other side is apartments now. Found this web site in my search E mapping maybe someone can make more sense of it than i did. Cheers for the replies and thanks for the welcome Cpt America
Posted By: jimbob Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 10th Sep 2010 1:35pm
That first house on the left hand side was a dentist {ground floor} with the top floor used as a flat during the 60s at least.
Posted By: bert1 Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 10th Sep 2010 2:28pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
That first house on the left hand side was a dentist {ground floor} with the top floor used as a flat during the 60s at least.

That explains the front door set up, also that first house's front elevation comes out from the line of the others, maybe the start of the missing houses following the curvature of the road.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 10th Sep 2010 5:55pm
Number 13 was my Opticians at one time - Mr R T Booth I think?
Posted By: chris58 Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 10th Sep 2010 8:29pm
My family moved into Singleton Avenue in 1964,my mum and dad still live there. I noticed the numbers start at 13 many years ago but never give it a second thought! The first house on the left going up was definitely an opticians. The dentist mentioned in a previous post was on borough road next to what was the tech car park. Barclays bank was on the corner of Singleton Ave and it became Band and Spencer Estate Agents in the 80's before becoming Age Concern Charity Shop.
Posted By: cmw2a Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 12:31am
wasn't that first house an optician?
Posted By: cmw2a Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 12:32am
ooops! sorry! LOL
Posted By: cmw2a Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 12:34am
I remember there was a post office at the bottom of Singleton Ave, on the right, just before you turn to the tech college.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 12:42am
lol, tees street is still on gps laugh
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 12:52am
I live on tees st
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 12:59am
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIMPfKvG5Bc watch all the parts. Lol at bus bidston unemployment shuttle
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 6:26am
i lived at no 73 for years and noticed odd numbers,there was halifax building society at the bottom and a hoover shop on the other side,seem to remember a car radio shop as well.
Posted By: xantr Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 11th Sep 2010 1:31pm
Sorry, its one of those things I have read many moons ago, it was only a proposel. I do have a photograph of the Crosville Bus Station at Singleton. I am in Tenerife a present, but will attempt to share it with you on getting home. I know that the 1948 Birkenhead Town Plan (published 1944),stated that where the 12 queys college is now on Shore Road, could be used as a new bus depot. I will try and remember where I read it.
Posted By: Stegga Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 12th Sep 2010 12:31am
Originally Posted by stephen1972
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIMPfKvG5Bc watch all the parts. Lol at bus bidston unemployment shuttle

Just watched the three parts, spotted my ex-brother in law in the job centre in part two, how bizzare.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 12th Sep 2010 12:38am
I did another thread about that i thought it was a spoof.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 12th Sep 2010 1:01am
This appears to have gone a bit off topic BUT...so, is my contribution.. Bell Road ch44. The odd numbers go up ....69.. 71..73 NO 75!! And then 77 etc.. No gap to suggest a bombed house....i have asked before elsewhere on here, just a Bump.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 12th Sep 2010 2:15am
is that the one opposite the bizzie station on manor rd?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: House numbers in Singleton Avenue - 12th Sep 2010 10:01am
No bell rd is off liscard rd, near the garage
© Wirral-Wikiwirral