Forums
Posted By: davaw1 Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 2nd Sep 2010 8:17pm
Can anyone remember this on the junction 3 approch slip? and what year it closed? and does anyone have any pictures? thanks.
Was it on the left just after Asda heading towards M53?
The building is still there as far as I am aware

Attached picture WoodchurchPolice.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 2nd Sep 2010 8:31pm
Yes, it was a single storey building and if my memory is right, it was a mixture of brickwork and white rendering i think.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 2nd Sep 2010 8:33pm
haha beat me to it DD, my memory was right.
God your fast!!
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 2nd Sep 2010 8:36pm
yeah its still used as a dental laboraty, anybody know when the police stopped using it?
Well Precedent have been there since 2001

CLICKY
Posted By: davew3 Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 3rd Sep 2010 6:39am
Remember it being empty and up for sale for at least a year.
Ha Ha, small world, I spend hours on this site reading masses of information from so many amazingly knowledgeable people I never expected to see my building here.

I own and run the said laboratory and own the building. I bought it directly from the police property division in January 2001 from an advert placed in the Wirral News/Globe in early 2000. The police hadn't been using it since February 1999, it was still full of equipment and desks etc. We still have the transmitter above the bay window.

A gentleman came in last Friday asking this question but I was just going out to a meeting, I guess I now know why.

It was built 1965 as the community police station for the Woodchurch estate, although why they put the front door facing away from it I will never know.

Hope this helps a little

Regards

Bill
Originally Posted by bill773mini
A gentleman came in last Friday asking this question but I was just going out to a meeting, I guess I now know why.

Guilty as charged happy

Thanks for the reply Bill and sharing that information thumbsup

Also thanks to your staff there, nice people!
You're very welcome, glad to able to contribute in some small way to this brilliant site.

Is there a reason why you are looking for the leaving date of the Police?
Posted By: davaw1 Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 8th Sep 2010 7:03pm
Thanks for the info. No reason really to why i was looking, was just curious, can remember it was a police station from my younger days and was just wondering actually how long ago it was.
Be nice to find some old photo's of it, do you know wehn the flats were built?
Posted By: DavidB Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 9th Sep 2010 9:16am
You're very welcome, glad to able to contribute in some small way to this brilliant site.

Is there a reason why you are looking for the leaving date of the Police?

Do you still have the mini there?! laugh

[Linked Image]

I saw it last year some time. I've seen a black mini parked up in front a couple of times as well!
Yes, needs to go soon though! I have a White one with a black roof that I come in to work in sometimes so that's the one you'll have seen.
Originally Posted by DavidB
Do you still have the mini there?
I thought you were giving up faffing around with cars raftl
Posted By: DavidB Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 9th Sep 2010 9:08pm
Yes, needs to go soon though! I have a White one with a black roof that I come in to work in sometimes so that's the one you'll have seen.

What's the story behind it, I always wonder what happened to it every time I come over the overpass!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 9th Sep 2010 10:02pm
used to be one of these in seacombe smile
Not much to tell really, 68 Mk2 Woody estate been striped to a bare shell and paperwork lost. Guy then gave me what was left for parts. Got it from Neston. It's only there as I have no more room - I have 8 other Mini's!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old Motorway Police station M53 junction 3 - 10th Sep 2010 6:59am
Woody estate

What a coincidence; it's on Woody Estate. laugh
I've just been looking through the title deeds and the application for the Erection of Police sub-station was granted on the 11th January 1961 opposite landican lane and on 14th July 1961 it was changed to an Auxiliary Police station, so it's 4 years older than I thought. Also it states that it was "described in a conveyance dated 27th November 1926 made between Ernest Bland Royden and the Mayor Alderman and Burgesses of the County of Birkenhead".

What does that mean 25 years earlier? Had they been planning a Police station there since 1926?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral