Forums
Posted By: derekdwc What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 10:30am
does anyone know what was this building in Brassey Street
Seems to have been like this for years

a shop?

Attached picture Brassey St [1600x1200].JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 10:38am
Peel Holdings Corporate HQ. ??
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 10:59am
this has started to be turned into flats by the look of it ,work started but it hasnt been finished, they seemed to have stopped when it was nearly done.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 11:25am
Looks like one of the local whore houses in the area smile
Posted By: Silverback Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 11:54am
Butchers, then a bookies at some point in time?
What number is it? It will be in an old street directory.
Posted By: Silverback Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 12:52pm
Originally Posted by Silverback
Butchers, then a bookies at some point in time?

Editing this to add a niggle in the back of my mind, with no evidence, that there may have been during 60's/ 70's, a form of small weighbridge on the corner there.

Maybe nothing, may have been on one of the other corners.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 11:36pm
From the looks of it (2nd floor, false window spaces) I'm guessing this is quite old. I'm also guessing it might have been a pub?

Here it is on google streetview - its on corner of brassey and patten.

Attached picture patten.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 7th Aug 2010 11:55pm
On the 1875 map.

Checked out Kelly's and found entry for a Christopher Newhouse - dairyman. Also mentions public weighing machine!

Attached picture patten2.gif
Attached picture patten3.jpg
Here's a better map from 1875 with "w m" marked for the weighing machine.

Attached picture 61Brassey-1875.jpg
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 10:18am
So what was the weighing machine used for? A primitive form of WeightWatchers?
Posted By: bert1 Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 10:59am
The size of some these days, they would probably break it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_scale
assuming a weighbridge is the same as the weighing machine in question
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 11:03am
1916 Wilmers a coal merchant lived there
poss used then for weighing bags of coal

Attached picture brassey st wilmers.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 11:12am
was there in 1875 Derek, with dairyman if Kelly's is from that time.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 11:17am
I guess the Newhouse family got board of dairy smile More money in coal.

That was fun - finding a random building - working out where it is/was, finding its use and its occupants, and comparing it to the present day. smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 11:26am
Yes, what fun, and not a mention of drug takers, unmarried mothers, benefit cheats or are they all living............. think
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 12:23pm
Back to the weighing machine sketch... I wonder if that rectangular patch of concrete was the filled-in "pit" for the underside of the scales ?

It's visible in both the photos in more or less the place as indicated on the map.
Posted By: bert1 Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 12:35pm
Very observant Pinz, also a nice set of cobbles to drive in on, a break in the pavement i think.
Despite Bert's cynicism it was quite fun! (Bert you are entitled mate!) I found that very interesting.
Posted By: scoops Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 6:02pm
If it's the place I'm thinking of I'm sure it was once the weighbridge cafe (late 70's early 80's)
Originally Posted by scoops
If it's the place I'm thinking of I'm sure it was once the weighbridge cafe (late 70's early 80's)
Yes, that rings a bell thumbsup
didn't all the mod moped scooter boys meet there when it was a cafe?
Posted By: jimbob Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 8th Aug 2010 8:58pm
some older states men like myself, will remember that all entrances to streets/roads/passageways and so forth where cobble stones as it aided the horse or horses that pulled the coal/milk carts to have a sure footing on starting and stopping.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 9th Aug 2010 5:02pm
jimbob - i still remember cobbles at the end of roads - before the council realised they were worth something frown
Posted By: jimbob Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 9th Aug 2010 9:06pm
think the correct term for them was SETS.
Posted By: Tatey Re: What was this building in Brassey Street - 10th Aug 2010 6:59am
SETS is correct & most of them are still there under all that tar & gravel chippings they put down then sweep up. Probably a few tramlines as well!
They will be because most reoplacement roads aren't laid properly any way they just put an inch run over whats there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral