Forums
Posted By: busybee wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 7:56pm
Does anyone have information or photos of the wallasey silver band. My great uncle played in it and i would love to have some more info to put in my family tree.

Posted By: buddy Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 8:07pm
No photos sorry busybee - but I played in the Wallasey Silver Band from about 1953-5 - they rehearsed in a hut in Wallasey Village
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 8:08pm
A number of key members of Wallasey Silver Band used to live in School Lane, off Wallasey Village. My mum knew many of them (we are talking about in the late 20s and 30s) and has mentioned names in the past - but I forget. Easy enough for me to ask mum for a few names when I visit tomorrow.

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 8:20pm
This is the only pic I know about (source unknown, date mid 1920s)

Attached picture slide_463_Wallasey_Band_316.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 9:20pm
The Wallasey Villagw Public Subscription Band (to give them their full title) was founded by Joe Edgar. I have no precise date but I read somewhere the band were founded in the early 1920s.

Their first uniform was black, with red and silver facing. Later their uniforms changed at the time of George VI to navy blue with scarlet facings and a gold aiguillete on their shoulders. They use to practice in the Pears Club in the Big Yard (Wallasey Village)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 9:22pm
Originally Posted by Snodvan
A number of key members of Wallasey Silver Band used to live in School Lane, off Wallasey Village. My mum knew many of them (we are talking about in the late 20s and 30s) and has mentioned names in the past - but I forget. Easy enough for me to ask mum for a few names when I visit tomorrow.

Snod

Your mum may know Herbert Kemp who was the longest surviving member of the band.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 9:49pm
yep - you are right. the names Kemp and Edgar are two that i remember being mentioned

Snod
Posted By: Capt_America Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 10:08pm
What happened to the band?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wallasey silver band - 29th Jul 2010 10:18pm
By the 1970s the number of people in the band amounted to 7 members so it was disbanded.

* note :- in my notes I have a date of 1913 when the band formed.

* note :- G.H Peers Club at the top of Big Yard not Pears Club as I noted earlier.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: wallasey silver band - 30th Jul 2010 3:35pm
Pity nobody has revived it. Over here someone tried to get a band going and now we have "The Sleaford Show Band" and it is doing a bomb, all ages across the board and they are getting better every year.
Posted By: busybee Re: wallasey silver band - 31st Jul 2010 8:52pm
Thanks to all for info, the pic of the band was taken on rowson street, passing quarry park. this is the only pic i have found, there must be more so will keep digging around.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral