Forums
Posted By: cathcart the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 15th Jul 2010 6:37am
id like to know details of the history of the nut factory. i remember the lovely smell,and watching them load them with the hoist. the door where the hoist was is still there.
Posted By: philmch Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 15th Jul 2010 5:54pm
I certainly remember the smell coming from the place but I can't say I ever liked it. Glad I didn't have to work there.
I hate that smell. Probably because I'm allergic to peanuts.
Posted By: Helles Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 15th Jul 2010 10:20pm
Just to broaden this out a bit. There was a peanut factory in Grosvenor road New Brighton. A crisp "factory" in Union street Egremont, a pickle "factory" in Rock Ferry. Road name escapes me but turn right off New Chester road where the Abbotsford was/is?

Us oldies remember the crisps with the little bag of salt. No other flavours then plus you thought it was great when there was more than one bag of salt put in by mistake. You never actually realised you probably got less crisps because of it.
They still do salt n shake crisps! Bit off topic but any 1 remember pop man in the 80s? Home delivered lemonade etc.
Posted By: davew3 Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 16th Jul 2010 7:02am
Was that the same one I think was called Happy Valley products or such and used to be on the corner of Duke street and Old Bidston rd.
Posted By: daveybm Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 16th Jul 2010 12:32pm
Iremember the crisp factory in Union St, we used to go round to the side door when we were kid and get a bag of bits for 1/2d or a 1d, They tasted great(well it was in the late fifties)!
Does anyone know what make they where?

Dave

Posted By: bri445 Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 16th Jul 2010 1:50pm
Wasn't it Sun Valley Nut Products? Now in Bromborough.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 16th Jul 2010 2:36pm
thought there was a nut factory in Market St
Originally Posted by derekdwc
thought there was a nut factory in Market St
Yes, called skid row - people go in and nutters come out a few scoops later.
Posted By: Erainn Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 30th Jan 2011 5:21pm
Just to add another angle, I recall it as being Sun Valley, but near, the now demolished Leta Street. There was also some kind of toy factory there too I think.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 30th Jan 2011 5:51pm
Originally Posted by stephen1972
They still do salt n shake crisps! Bit off topic but any 1 remember pop man in the 80s? Home delivered lemonade etc.
We still have a 'pop man' who visits weekly. I think the pop is a 'diversion' tho as he also sells fags, backy and Adult Entertainment wink raftl
Posted By: arsenal Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 3:56pm
the toy factory was called star yachts world famous
Posted By: Erainn Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 3:57pm
Ah..rings a distant bell smile
Posted By: Geekus Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 6:38pm
...that was probably last orders, Erainn!!

Posted By: Geekus Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 6:43pm
Wasn't there a liquorice factory (or flavourings company) at the bottom of Gorsey Lane, Wallasey?

There was certainly always a strong smell of liquorice around that area.

Mmmmmm.......
Posted By: Erainn Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 7:29pm
Your round I believe smile
Posted By: richmoss Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 7:39pm
It was a food additives company. I always thought it smelled of sherbert and love hearts. ;-)
Posted By: Geekus Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 7:40pm
...I ain't round. Just a bit chunky.

Probably all those nuts & crisps!
Posted By: Geekus Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 7:43pm
Maybe the smell varied from day to day, depending upon which additives they were working on?

I only remember the liquorice.
Posted By: Erainn Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 8:31pm
pineapple chunks, now there's a prince of boiled sweets
Posted By: Geekus Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 10:42pm
You'll have to start a whole new thread on favourite sweets, Erainn. You haven't started a new subject for at least an hour now!

Pineapple chunks ain't bad it's true, but give me a Sherbert Strawberry any day! And just to get back to the subject of nuts, didn't the shops used to sell sweets which looked like monkey nuts, but had chocolate in the centre??
Posted By: Erainn Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 10:50pm
What a sweet idea! Can't have you getting withdrawal symptoms now can we!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 11:11pm
Originally Posted by geekus/
ps used to sell sweets which looked like monkey nuts, but had chocolate in the centre??
i remember something similiar but had tiny bits of peanut in the middle?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 5th Feb 2011 11:27pm
I remember those 'sweet peanuts' a bit like cracknel.
There was a toy factory by the four bridges on Birkenhead Road, Wallasey, next to where the water bed place is now, called Berwick Toys, I think. It was in the early eighties. I remember kids in school bringing reject toys from Berwick's bins in and having them confiscated because they were mainly of the missile firing type.
Posted By: cathcart Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 6th Feb 2011 7:09pm
star yachts was on marion street it was owned by the denny family. we lived facing in one of their houses.
Posted By: Erainn Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 6th Feb 2011 7:12pm
That's the place! smile
If my old memory serves, I think it was Don's Potato Chrisps.
I remember the broken bits well! Also a Jowett Javelin saloon car parked more or less oposite.
Posted By: cathcart Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 16th Mar 2011 5:59am
had a walk round there last weekend,the loading bay is still there on the top floor. the buildings up for sale.looks just the same.thanks pete are you from that area.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 17th Jun 2011 12:05pm
Originally Posted by Helles
Just to broaden this out a bit. There was a peanut factory in Grosvenor road New Brighton. A crisp "factory" in Union street Egremont, a pickle "factory" in Rock Ferry. Road name escapes me but turn right off New Chester road where the Abbotsford was/is?

Us oldies remember the crisps with the little bag of salt. No other flavours then plus you thought it was great when there was more than one bag of salt put in by mistake. You never actually realised you probably got less crisps because of it.

The pickle factory was in Nelson Road. My mate's mum worked there.

Sun valley,i worked there for about a year,in the 80's,the smell was rather sickly,no good if you had a hangover.
Posted By: bigpete Re: the nut and crisp factory on dacre street. - 4th Aug 2011 9:18am
Star Yachts/Denyes (note spelling - I think!).

In the far-off days of full employment (@1971) - permanently advertising for staff - with the tagline:
"Young Girls Wanted - apply within"

Either the management were dirty old men - or you needed to be dexterious and lively...!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral