Forums
Posted By: Focuzed Liscard Question? - 18th Jun 2010 11:53pm
Does anybody remember the name of the small independant sports shop in liscard, just around the corner from the hobbie shop, near the old fire station?
Thanx...............
Posted By: Tilly Re: Liscard Question? - 18th Jun 2010 11:56pm
was it Blacks??
Posted By: Focuzed Re: Liscard Question? - 18th Jun 2010 11:58pm
No, it was up the other end, opersite the new tesco express.
Posted By: Focuzed Re: Liscard Question? - 19th Jun 2010 12:00am
Sorry forgot to say, it was about 1980 ish!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Liscard Question? - 19th Jun 2010 7:27am
Kenny Campbell?
Posted By: philmch Re: Liscard Question? - 19th Jun 2010 8:51am
I reckon Tatey is corrrect. Kenny Campbell's was there when I lived in Wallasey in the 60s. It was very small if I remember rightly.
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard Question? - 19th Jun 2010 9:09am
Was Kenny Cambell. Believe he used to keep goal for Everton way back. The shop moved to Wallasey road where all the estate agents/solicitors are now. Used to go there to get our casey's blown up and laced. God I feel old!
Posted By: tolo20371 Re: Liscard Question? - 9th Jul 2010 10:20pm
Brilliant, thanx for everyones, replies, my headache has now gone.........
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 12:37am
Was whoever owned player in liscard a sportsperson?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 12:46am
In 1940s Kenny Campbells use to be 292 Liscard Road and moved to 24 Liscard Village after the Bank extended along Liscard Road. From this month;s update all about shopping in Liscard Road (next month its Liscard Villahge)

"The side passage through to Liscard Crescent is still there, and above that was the Marypole (Buttermakers) which came in the early 1920s through to the 1960s, next to Kenny Campbell's Sports Shop (who was a goal keeper for Liverpool and New Brighton F.C and passed away in 1971). This area has been taken over by Barclays Bank, which extended down from Liscard Village.
"
Posted By: Helles Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 7:48am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
In 1940s Kenny Campbells use to be 292 Liscard Road and moved to 24 Liscard Village after the Bank extended along Liscard Road. From this month;s update all about shopping in Liscard Road (next month its Liscard Villahge)

"The side passage through to Liscard Crescent is still there, and above that was the Marypole (Buttermakers) which came in the early 1920s through to the 1960s, next to Kenny Campbell's Sports Shop (who was a goal keeper for Liverpool and New Brighton F.C and passed away in 1971). This area has been taken over by Barclays Bank, which extended down from Liscard Village.
"

Actually the Maypole Paul. Had various branches in Wallasey and I used to deliver the orders in the New Brighton one. Think the bike was twice the size of me!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 12:59pm
The Maypole was at 290 Liscard Road (corner of passageway to Liscard Crescent) whilst Campbells was 292. In my look at Licard Road shopping (as updated this month on my site) I note Maypole as far back as 1921. No doubt it would get back further at the same address. My last note of it was 1966. By 1977 it had vanished. I could probably narrow its date of closing with a little research!

Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 1:01pm
Well, I remember it and was born in 1964 so I would guess it was still around c1970.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 1:35pm
I seem to remember that Kenny Campbell had a shop in Wallasey Village - I think it was next door to the grocers (McAneney's) just on the left as you went from the roundabout at the top of Leasowe Road towards the shore.

I certainly remember buying catapult elastic from a sports shop in that area, and leather studs for my footy boots

I will ask mother this afternoon

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Liscard Question? - 10th Jul 2010 3:14pm
Asked mother but no positive indication of Campbell's in Wally Village

THEN I had a cuppa and a jam buttie - and THEN I remembered

Billy Bee - not Kenny Campbell

I am sure now that was the name of the guy running the sports place by McAneney's

I'm getting too old for this remembering game

Snod
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Liscard Question? - 11th Jul 2010 3:58am
No - I think you're right there, Kenny Campbells' was never in the Village (only in Liscard) - but then again, I can't remember a sports shop being next to McEneany's... which side? (nearer to the roundabout, or nearer to the barbers?) Talking of McEneany's is it still there but now a phone place?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Liscard Question? - 17th Jul 2010 7:14am
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Asked mother but no positive indication of Campbell's in Wally Village

THEN I had a cuppa and a jam buttie - and THEN I remembered

Billy Bee - not Kenny Campbell

I am sure now that was the name of the guy running the sports place by McAneney's

I'm getting too old for this remembering game

Snod

Didn't I buy my tank aerial fishing rod from Billy Bee's?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral