Forums
Posted By: giropay Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 4:34pm
Can anyone help identify the locations in the two attached photos please?
They were used in the film 'The Reckoning' which was made in 1969/1970 starring Nicol Williamson.
One of them shows a street sign - but I can't read it.I have heard that it was filmed around the Daisy Grove area but not sure.Does anyone recognise it - or the tower block in the background - is that still there?
The other shows a church which I'm guessing has been demolished - does anyone recognise it?
Thanks for any help

Attached picture NDVD_020.jpg
Attached picture NDVD_018.jpg
that first picture looks far too steep to be in wallasey,looks more like holt hill or holborn hill in tranmere but is too far away from the river
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 6:35pm
I think the first picture may be Everton. I've seen a similar picture in a Merseyside history book, showing the steep hill with the terraced houses. No multi-story flats though
Posted By: Wench Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 6:41pm
The first one does look like Tranmere. The flats look like Hadlow Gardens etc.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 6:54pm
Don't recognise either of the pictures The 2nd pic does look like Liscard Congregational Church that stood on Rake Lane but there is a building spire to the left in the picture that doesn't fit anything that was there before.
Posted By: Helles Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 7:05pm
Haven't got a clue where those photo's are and am not sure they are Wirral at all.

I did watch some of this film being made. They shot a scene at a house in Seacombe more or less opposite Hector Jacksons scrap yard.

I saw the film years ago and recognised that bit. He was supposed to have come home from somewhere and his "mother" opened the door and hugged him. Must have been all of ten seconds but took hours to film.

I would have thought it was earlier than 1969 but certainly between 1966 and 1969.
Posted By: Helles Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 8:29pm
Just looked at film locations website and they say it was just called "Reckoning" and released in 1970. There is another film part filmed in Liverpool called "The Reckoning" with Stanley Baxter in it. That was 1958.

Edit. Can't find that at all and think they are mixing up Violent Playground starring Stanley Baxter. Moral, don't believe all you read on the web. Apologies for muddying the waters.
Originally Posted by giropay
Can anyone help identify the locations in the two attached photos please?
They were used in the film 'The Reckoning' which was made in 1969/1970 starring Nicol Williamson.
One of them shows a street sign - but I can't read it.I have heard that it was filmed around the Daisy Grove area but not sure.Does anyone recognise it - or the tower block in the background - is that still there?
The other shows a church which I'm guessing has been demolished - does anyone recognise it?
Thanks for any help

The road is Havelock St in Liverpool, the tower block is Seacombe towers.

Posted By: scoops Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 9:44pm
Looks like Silverback is right
Pic from 1960
Another old pic showing the flats is part way down the page on the left hand side
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 17th Jun 2010 10:16pm
Is 'seacombe towers' now known as 'mersey court'?
"Seacombe Towers" was in Everton and has been demolished.
Posted By: giropay Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 18th Jun 2010 6:27am
Thanks for all your replies especially Silverback identifying Havelock Street.From your info I have now also identified the church as St George's in Northumberland Terrace/Grecian Terrace in Everton.
Does Helles know what street Hector Jacksons scrap yard was in ?
It looks like they switched between shots of Everton and Seacombe/Wallsey in the film.There is another scene which was shot at the King Street petrol station and a shot of Nicol Williamson crossing one of the 4 bridges.

scrapyard was in Wheatland Lane, opposite Catons (Mona Castle).

Posted By: giropay Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 18th Jun 2010 12:27pm
Thanks again Silverback - that fits in with Daisy Grove which ran down from Jersey street to Wheatland Lane just near the pub(I have an old street map).I got the Daisy Grove info from a book about Wallasey called 'Almost an Island'
I've attached a pic of the scene Helles described of Nicol Williamson and his 'mother' at the door.

Attached picture NDVD_000.jpg
Posted By: giropay Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 19th Jun 2010 10:37am
One last request from this film - please see attached photo.It is supposed to be in Wallasey near Daisy Grove etc - but I now know some shots were of Everton.Looks as if it could be a church possibly - it's used in the film as a doctor's surgery.
Can anyone help?

Attached picture NDVD_003.jpg
I think the film shot in Daisy Grove, was 'Alfie' starring Michael Caine. I remember a scene of him driving aver the four bridges.
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
I think the film shot in Daisy Grove, was 'Alfie' starring Michael Caine. I remember a scene of him driving aver the four bridges.
I thought I recognised some bits in Alfie as well, but it was all filmed in London with a couple of bits from Twickenham.
Posted By: Helles Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 19th Jul 2010 6:12pm
Don't think Alfie was shot around here at all. There is a website somewhere that lists films made in and around this area.
Posted By: Suzie Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 16th Sep 2015 12:21am
I believe this was the Old Rectory that had its front garden taken over for the children's playground ( they had to put the playground from St Paul road somewhere after they started the tunnel) it faced onto the backyards and alley way of Edgemond street and backed on to Percy Road.At the time of filming it was occupied by a large local family. I have an autograph book somewhere that I had filled whilst the film was being shot in Daisy Grove..
Posted By: Dilly Re: Film Locations in Wallasey - 'The Reckoning' - 16th Sep 2015 7:15am
I could be wrong but something tells me it was a film called The Waterfront .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral