Forums
Posted By: Longnails 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 13th Jun 2010 12:31pm
Can anyone help?
If you look on google earth map at Wallasey Road, Liscard, there is a Newsagents called R News, next to that is a shop called Born and Bread which has a To Let sign on it, then there is the Lung Foundation, next to that is a shop with dark inside shutters and of course all closed down; would anyone know what business run from that premises in 1980?
Thanks

Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 13th Jun 2010 1:39pm
I received an e-mail from you yesterday and will get back to you tomorrow.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 5:28am
Was it McLachlans the tobaconists?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 10:51am
Was it bookland?
Posted By: Capt_America Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 2:38pm
One of those shops was Albistons bookstore. I bought a map of Scotland there before they moved to Oxton Road in Birkenhead.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 5:20pm
The address of 1-2 Wallasey Road was indeed Booklands (as part of the Coronation Building). The shop had originally opened in the mid 60s at No 2. By the 1970s, ater New Dynasty Restaurant at Number 1 had closed, Booklands knocked through and took over the lease.

For those of the older generation might remember Number 2 Wallasey Road in 1946 as Harry Gordon's Milk Bar.

Sadly I don't have any photographs of Booklands.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 6:53pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
The address of 1-2 Wallasey Road was indeed Booklands (as part of the Coronation Building). The shop had originally opened in the mid 60s at No 2. By the 1970s, ater New Dynasty Restaurant at Number 1 had closed, Booklands knocked through and took over the lease.

For those of the older generation might remember Number 2 Wallasey Road in 1946 as Harry Gordon's Milk Bar.

Sadly I don't have any photographs of Booklands.

Didn't need steel shutters like Fort Knox, on shopfronts back then, either... <sigh..!>
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 7:34pm
Albiston's was in Wallasey Village, by the roundabout. It was certainly still there in 1983 but don't know for how much longer.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 7:51pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse
Albiston's was in Wallasey Village, by the roundabout. It was certainly still there in 1983 but don't know for how much longer.

I think they moved to Charing Cross in Birkenhead? Or I might be thinking of another Wallasey bookshop that did move to Charing Cross.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 14th Jun 2010 9:28pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse

I think they moved to Charing Cross in Birkenhead? Or I might be thinking of another Wallasey bookshop that did move to Charing Cross.

I think you are right. Oh the ravages of time!
Posted By: Longnails Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 15th Jun 2010 3:09pm
Thankyou all so much, I appreciate your help.
Regards
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 15th Jun 2010 3:46pm
After Booklands closed (about 1999) I think Blockbuster (one of those vid shops) then opened. I recall a girl who was a barmaid at RJ's also worked behind the counter there. I know that cos fancied her!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 15th Jun 2010 3:47pm
Originally Posted by Longnails
Thankyou all so much, I appreciate your help.
Regards

Is there some kind of connection that you have with the premises? Are you thinking of opening a business there or are you like the rest of us and just plain nosey!!?? grin
Posted By: Helles Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 15th Jun 2010 7:48pm
The milk bar was called the Melody Milk Bar. Always got taken there after a visit to the school butcher (dentist) which was opposite the post office.
Posted By: Longnails Re: 1980 Wallasey Road, Liscard - 16th Jun 2010 11:52am
Hello PaulWirral
I do have a legitimate reason for wanting the information that I reqested.
No I'm not opening a business there.
Regards
© Wirral-Wikiwirral