Forums
Posted By: Collins Mount Farm Liscard - 3rd Jun 2010 10:00pm
Hi,

In the will of my 4th great grandfather William Groom who died 1815, he mentions his farm called Mount Farm Liscard, he also mentions closes of land called garden,land and Ley New field Withings, Runcorns Yard and Greenshey in the Land Hills.

Could any kind person show me on a present map where these places are?

Mary
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Mount Farm Liscard - 3rd Jun 2010 10:18pm
Try this. There is an option to search by name as well.

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithema...p;letter=G&word=Groom&random=806
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Mount Farm Liscard - 5th Jun 2010 1:34pm
Bit of a toughie this one, but with the help of my trusty copy of Bennison's 1835 map of the Port of Liverpool and its Environs I think I've managed to locate it. The map (see below) clearly shows a property labelled 'Manor Farm W. Groom' on Rake Lane in Wallasey at the junction with what is now Earlston Road. (Apologies for the fact that the map's at a weird angle - I've tried to orient it with north at the top to make comparison with later maps easier) The second map shows the location of this junction today.

At the time of the Tithe Map in c1841, the property is listed as being owned by John Wairing and tenented by a William Atherton. The third map below shows a closer view of the farm as it appears on Mills & Fletcher's Survey of Wallasey in c1854. At the time of the 1875 OS survey (map 4) the property was still there, but by now had been renamed as Fairfield House. By 1909 (map 5), the property had clearly been demolished and replaced by the late-Victorian/Edwardian houses that are there today, including the property on the corner which is now the local doctor's surgery.

Hope thia answers your query.

Description: Bennison's Map of 1835
Attached picture Bennison 1835.jpg

Description: Current Google Maps
Attached picture Wallasey.JPG

Description: Mills & Fletcher c1854
Attached picture Mills & Fletcher 1854.jpg

Description: OS 1875
Attached picture OS 1875.jpg

Description: OS 1909
Attached picture OS 1909.JPG

Description: Modern Aerial View
Attached picture Bing Maps.JPG
Posted By: Collins Re: Mount Farm Liscard - 5th Jun 2010 10:13pm
Thank you for the information that you have given me,it has more details than I expected and the maps are a great help. The fact that his name is on the map is wonderful.

Once again thank you.

Mary
© Wirral-Wikiwirral