Forums
Posted By: Rhoobarb Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
I was just looking at the maps of the old tram way on the Friends of Storeton Woods website and there's an Old Hall marked on there.

It's at the bottom of village road so it's not Bebington Hall as this was obviously down in Lower Bebington opposite Mayer Park.

Does anyone know of a hall in Higher Bebington, could it be what is not the British Legion or would it have been where the car park is adjacent to the off licence?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 6:35pm
Demolished in 1955 "Bebington Old Hall"

CLICKY
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 6:47pm
That's the one that was opposite Mayer Park where the civic centre is now.

The one i'm talking about is at the bottom of village road in Higher Bebington. From the way it's marked on the map it's either what is now the British Legion or was over the road from it.

http://friendsofstoretonwoods.org.uk/images/gy_images/old_map_west_tramway.gif

The Hall you linked is on the other half of that map in Lower Bebington.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:04pm
The Lower Bebington hall opposite Mayer Hall was called "Bebington Hall"

The Higher Bebington hall was called "Bebington Old Hall"

I would be disappointed if national heritage got them mixed up, I will hunt more smile
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:21pm
So there were two halls called Bebington Hall kind of?

I was born and grew up in Higher Bebington and have never heard of the old hall.

Was it where the park is?

I can't think of anywhere else near where it's marked on the map with enough room.

Plus in that photo it looks like the house slopes and there's no land like that where it's marked on the map.

I'm confused.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:26pm
What we need to look at is "Connah G. 1952. The Old Houses of Bebington" which I am fairly sure is in Bebington Library
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:28pm
Does this help

THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
MERSEYSIDE, CH63 8QS WIRRAL, OLD HALL FARM, TEEHEY LANE, BEBINGTONGreat Britain
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:34pm
The house on Lost Heritage is definitely Bebington Hall in Lower Bebington there's a photo of it from the opposite angle in Bebington of Yesteryear.

So my hunt for the Old Hall in Higher Bebington goes on lol
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:34pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Does this help

THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
MERSEYSIDE, CH63 8QS WIRRAL, OLD HALL FARM, TEEHEY LANE, BEBINGTONGreat Britain

Sounds like it could be it. Nice one.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 8:39pm
It does seem that the Lower Bebington Hall is referred to as "Bebington Old Hall" in many places, but not on maps.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 9:10pm
There's no mention of it in any of my local history books.

Where's Chris Kay when you need him. Sure he'll know something of it.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 9:12pm
There is a book called "Fir Bob Land" about Bebington with all the different houses/people in it,will try and see if we still have it in the house.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 25th May 2010 9:18pm
Cheers Dave.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 2:25pm
Found the book Fir Bob Land and have started to read it again a quick skim thru only brings up Old Hall farm info you have on this topic,suspect there was no Old Hall maybe it was a name given by the locals to a big house that was knocked down or rebuilt but had a different name
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 2:34pm
I think there was a house/building called "The Limes" at about that location.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 3:38pm
Originally Posted by Rhoobarb
There's no mention of it in any of my local history books.

Where's Chris Kay when you need him. Sure he'll know something of it.

Sorry, can't help on this one. Have to say it looks a bit strange on the 1910 O.S. map; I can't explain the dotted square within the larger outline.

Attached picture Clip2.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 4:36pm
On some maps of that era the dotted square is shown as a building, but doesn't appear at all on earlier maps.

"The Limes", on the above map, is the long L-shaped building running up from the beginning of Village Road, it also had a lodge on Kings Rd/Teehey Lane (whichever it is at that point). I am fairly sure the Old Hall refers to "The Limes" as it was a very old building (as is Victoria hall just across the road), on older maps the name appears in exactly the same location as the name Old Hall on more recent maps.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 5:19pm
The British Legion address is Old Hall Farm, has anyone got a map with possibly a farm house showing.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 5:42pm
That land belonged to "The Limes"
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 7:16pm
That may well be, but was there a farm house on the site of the British legion or maybe the legion is the ex farmhouse ( just cant picture it exactly)
Posted By: davew3 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 31st May 2010 8:41pm
Just had a look at Cheshire tithes map,the Tithe map just has buildings on the site the next map it is called the Limes 1875 and the next map calls it Old hall,the British Legion is or was called Old Hall farm,the Limes appears to cover the area that Roland ave was built on,names of area's/buildings do change with time,could be the building/house called the Limes was knocked down and locals would say Old Hall for the area and it stuck,well that's my thoughts.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 1st Jun 2010 2:07pm
On the map Chris posted it is in the area of Roland Ave and there is now a car park at the with Teehey Lane.

It's kind of house haped, would be a big house though.

That could be where the Limes was.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 1st Jun 2010 8:13pm
Found an interesting piece in the Book Fir-Bob Land by Allen Alsbury,Countryvise books ISBN 1 901231 17 8 Copyright

My interpretation on reading
Pages 5-6-7 Old Hall Farm the quality of workmanship suggests it was no ordinary farmhouse no direct evidence to suggest it was the local manor house or it was the site of an older hall by the Bebington family,their is no explanation of it's rather grand building,some bits of the building on the south side of the door,it is scheduled as of special historical interest.
Suggest you go to the library and try to get the book out.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 2nd Jun 2010 8:46am
Chapter 3, from the perambulation of the hundred of Wirral.
Bebington

Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0062.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0065.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0066.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0069.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0070.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0071.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0072.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0073.jpg
Attached picture perambulationofh00youniala_0074.jpg
Posted By: starakita Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 2nd Jun 2010 9:57am
some intersting information there.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 3rd Jun 2010 9:49pm
Dickens Avenue isn't so respectable now.
Posted By: LJB1000 Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 17th Feb 2018 7:19am
HB Hall was off Kings Lane. Built in 1840. Demolished sometime after 1963. Info from Fir bob land by Allan Alsbury, chapter 9. There is a photo and location map in the book. 👍
Posted By: haarlemmer Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 24th Mar 2024 5:16pm
I have some maps showing the land around Higher Bebington Hall being parcelled up for sale and development in 1958. For context, the road that has been added in pencil is Mount Drive. the Hall seems to be where Mountway is today?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bsvo...rlkey=0nazpfpl50uz7ahp15c5kqo6y&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/m3ii...rlkey=qdqgk8v0ri984c0o8kaoqf04c&dl=0
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Old Hall in Higher Bebington - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Thanks for posting those maps

The hall itself was in the plot of land that is now bordered by Kings Close, Mount Avenue and Mountway, where the three storey flat roofed flats are.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...6thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
© Wirral-Wikiwirral