Forums
Posted By: hoseman HOUSE IN MORETON - 12th May 2010 10:49pm
Have asked this before in another thread.
Has anyone any info, maps, pics descriptions etc regarding the old Victorian house that used to be on Hoylake Rd, moreton.
It was situated on where the Iceland car park is now, next to Borrowdale Rd. Think it was refered to as "The Clock House", but faded memory...dont take my word for it!
used to play in there as a kid and on the back fields before the housing estates took over.
Had a gate in our back fence straight into the fields, local girls used to keep horses on there and we cleared a large area and turned it into a football pitch!
The house was prob demolished mid to late 70`s.
thanks in advance people!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HOUSE IN MORETON - 12th May 2010 11:47pm
Nothing there in 1910, just a row of trees, so not Victorian.

Was it by the road or set-back, there is a blob on later maps covering about half the width of the car park, by the road, this was on the Borrowdale side, square building same sort of size as most others in the area.

Interesting field names around there, such as "Wheel Butts" and "Upper Backside"

Map from 1955

Description: Moreton Clock House? 1955
Attached picture Moreton-Clock-House-155.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: HOUSE IN MORETON - 13th May 2010 5:51am
It was called Clock House by locals. It was an old shop with a clock hanging in the window (hence the name), the rest of the window was covered with brown paper. The clock was wound regularly and always showed the right time. This was in the early 1960s when I knew the people who lived in the bungalow next door. Their bungalow was bought by Tesco who also wanted to buy the old shop, but the owner wouldn't sell. It was some time later, when the owner of the shop died that it was demolished and became the car park.

Posted By: hoseman Re: HOUSE IN MORETON - 13th May 2010 9:13pm
Thanks DD and CX.
I remember it so vividly, think it was Victorian because of the Lath and plaster walls and the FULL range cooker it still had!!
We used to tell everyone it was haunted and we had spent the night in there.... Truth is, wouldnt go near the place after dark, scarey as POO!!!
I actually cant recall the full frontage as all i remember was a FULL billboard infront of it!
Think it was before Tesco time.
Remember we used to go into the supermarket and ROB (borrow,,,never to be returned!!) saving stamp books off the rack in the doorway to make fires in the woods!!!
Think this was well before Tesco tho, but cant remember store name!!
keep digging people...THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!!!
Posted By: anniec Re: HOUSE IN MORETON - 23rd Aug 2010 9:04pm
Was the name of the shop Victor Value? I think this was owned by Tesco but sold cheaper items.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral