Forums
Posted By: abcdefgh Derby Pool Baths - 19th Mar 2010 10:12pm
smile Just out of curiosity, Why where the baths called 'Derby' Pool. Hubby said he remembers going there as a kid and he always knew it as Harrison Drive Baths. Is it something to do with the horse races on Leasowe Road? Does anyone know? Tar
Posted By: PeterLFC Re: Derby Pool Baths - 20th Mar 2010 12:12am
Hi they were opened in 1932 by lord Derby so thats were the name came from. Wish they would bring another open air pool locally we had such good times there. It kept all the kids off the streets as you could stay all day.
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Derby Pool Baths - 20th Mar 2010 12:34am
Thanks for that Peter, hopefully neptune are going to deliver on their promises, we may get another open air pool. Theres something in the planning.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Derby Pool Baths - 20th Mar 2010 3:11am
Ooh i hope so. Would love an open air baths!!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Derby Pool Baths - 20th Mar 2010 5:22am
Originally Posted by aegean
Thanks for that Peter, hopefully neptune are going to deliver on their promises, we may get another open air pool. Theres something in the planning.

What have you seen in the planning re an open air pool?
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Derby Pool Baths - 20th Mar 2010 6:04am

There is information on the Derby Pool in the History Forum, here
Posted By: abcdefgh Open Air Pool Tatey - 20th Mar 2010 11:32pm
In the Neptune development info, Ive seen it on their internet site, it states that there will be supermarket, etc and then it says public lido. I think thats an open air pool - forgive me if Im wrong.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Open Air Pool Tatey - 21st Mar 2010 12:44am
Yes a lido is an open air pool. Ooh i do hope we're getting one. I used to love the one in prestatyn, n.wales.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Open Air Pool Tatey - 21st Mar 2010 7:34am
In the Neptune development info, Ive seen it on their internet site, it states that there will be supermarket, etc and then it says public lido. I think thats an open air pool - forgive me if Im wrong.

You are correct. There is an artists impression of a very small open air pool on their web site & an area marked as Lido on the site plans. Looks like it would be full with 10 people in it though!
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Open Air Pool Tatey - 21st Mar 2010 9:25pm
Thats good. Neptune have listened to what the public want. I am glad that they have stuck by this development on New Brighton and not given up. I mean the arguments for and against went on for years. At long last a bit of life will come back, hopefully.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Open Air Pool Tatey - 21st Mar 2010 10:35pm
I heard that the proposed pool in New Brighton was why the council were closing Guinea Gap baths. The word is that its not being built now so thats why Guinea has got a "reprieve".
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Open Air Pool Tatey - 23rd Mar 2010 12:25am
Ive not heard that. I would have thought that the pool on the prom would be 'leisure' and the Guinea Gap more a social/community pool, swimming lessons, swimming club, schools etc. I mean the area of Wallasey and New Brighton is viable for 2 pools anyway. I think we should have a proper police station aswell. Manor Road looks like its being mothballed and believe it or not where I live, my local station is Moreton! I live nowhere near there.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Open Air Pool Tatey - 23rd Mar 2010 9:35am
The Neptune website mentions the lido as if they have already had the planning permission - proposed completion August 2011.

http://www.neptunedevelopments.co.uk/developments/showdevelopment.asp?recordid=71

Nice glossy pdf on there, with map, which doesn't show where the lido is going think
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Derby Pool Baths - 23rd Mar 2010 11:09am
It'll be handy for when the global warming comes in. They are great though, especially for families, they end up having a special place in your memory when you get older. Remember Guinea Gap and New Ferry, great days out, carefree and full of fun.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Derby Pool Baths - 23rd Mar 2010 11:27am
I'm not sure I'd brave a very windy NB to dip in very cold water eek
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Derby Pool Baths - 23rd Mar 2010 9:17pm
It may have a retractable roof, just for you snooze!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Derby Pool Baths - 24th Mar 2010 9:28am
It may have a retractable roof, just for you snooze!
Yeah, its called a big umbrella raftl
Posted By: abcdefgh Re: Derby Pool Baths - 31st Mar 2010 9:35pm
Recently in the local papers it stated that Neptune couldnt find anyone to run the leisure centre, gym.....anyone fancy doing it? All keep fitters out there? blush
© Wirral-Wikiwirral