Forums
Posted By: yoller Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 15th Feb 2010 12:27am
In 1965, Paul Simon - then an unknown folk singer touring Britain- played in Bebington on September 11 (venue not known) and at the Central Hotel, Birkenhead, on September 12 and 15. This was a few months before he and Art Garfunkel were launched on the road to stardom with The Sound of Silence. Does anyone remember seeing Paul Simon play in Wirral?
Posted By: genlock Re: Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 19th Feb 2010 1:44pm
Try looking at Hulme Hall port sunlight, some big stars visited there too, including the Beatles " me thinks" ;-)
Posted By: MikeHoward Re: Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 14th Nov 2011 3:11pm
Yes! I remember Paul Simon. I was one of the organisers of the Tam O'Shanter Folk Club, which was held at the Central Hotel on a Sunday evening. We booked lots of 'well known' stars including Don Partridge, The Silkie and Buffy Saint Marie. Where you a member of our club?
Posted By: yoller Re: Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 14th Nov 2011 6:44pm
Sorry, MikeHoward, I wasn't a member of your folk club - I was too young. However, I am a big Simon and Garfunkel fan and a brother of a friend of mine often used to mention that Paul Simon had once appeared at the Central Hotel.
I never quite knew whether to believe this until I looked it up on the Internet. Once I knew it was true, I put my question on the forum.
I'd have loved to have seen Paul perform in Birkenhead and I wonder what your recollections are of his appearances?
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 21st Nov 2011 11:01am
Originally Posted by yoller
In 1965, Paul Simon - then an unknown folk singer touring Britain- played in Bebington on September 11 (venue not known) and at the Central Hotel, Birkenhead, on September 12 and 15. This was a few months before he and Art Garfunkel were launched on the road to stardom with The Sound of Silence. Does anyone remember seeing Paul Simon play in Wirral?

I've found a page quoting a Bebington folk club owner called Bill Fogg. Find the club he ran in 1965 and that may be the venue.

Brimstage Village Hall used to hold gigs back in the day I think as well.

There was a club opposite Bebington Station, it's now the Life Church. I had my 18th there and went there a few times after, but i'm buggered if I can remember what it was called.

Posted By: marty99fred Re: Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 21st Nov 2011 1:06pm
I've looked through the Bebington papers for August-September 1965, and can't find any concert advertised. The only reference I can find to Paul Simon is in an article about a local folk group, the Sunlighters, one of whose members is described as a fan of his.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Paul Simon's Wirral gigs, 1965 - 21st Nov 2011 1:19pm
The Primrose that was the place I was thinking of.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral