Forums
Posted By: davros Figure Eight Ponds - 3rd Feb 2010 2:55am
HI
As a 9 year old in 1962 I remember a couple of ponds - one was at the Moreton Football ground behind Marion Drive, I think - the other was called The Figure Eight and we played on it when it froze over during that bad winter 62/63 - does anyone remember where the Figure Eight ponds where?
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 3rd Feb 2010 8:39am
Was the figure 8 on the bypass between Moreton and Bidston?
that road probably wasn't there in 1962 though.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 3rd Feb 2010 10:33am
I remember the name well enough - but at the moment I just cant place where the ponds were located. It was a fair walk is all I remember, it was certainly across the Moss towards bidston, and I would be walking from Wallasey Village

There is still a pond between Moreton & Bidston. You can see it to the left as you approach the Upton spur from Wallasey direction. I have an idea that is what remains of the Figure Eight.

I remember everything freezing in 62/63. That was a bad one - or a good one if you were a youngster. It was damned cold on a motorbike. I was past my teens by then!

Snod
Posted By: delta6 Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 3rd Feb 2010 1:32pm
Originally Posted by Garygadge
Was the figure 8 on the bypass between Moreton and Bidston?
that road probably wasn't there in 1962 though.

yes it is mate. left hand side as you go towards bidston. used to fish there.
Posted By: grayo77 Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 3rd Feb 2010 11:22pm
the figure of eight pond is still there by fender farm behind claremount school, its very popular with fishermen.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 3rd Feb 2010 11:41pm
I had my best ever tench from there. There were big carp in there but I believe it was netted. When I fished it 2 guys leased the rights off the landowner and operated it (i990's).
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 5th Feb 2010 9:45am
yeah its still there...no access to anglers any more
Posted By: kimpri Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 5th Feb 2010 6:36pm
fish it at night,
No one will bother you? grin
Posted By: davros Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 7th Feb 2010 11:50am
Thanks to all that replied.
i'm glad some parts of the country are still there. i was devasted when they put the motorway through all the fields i used to play in as a kid
Posted By: hoseman Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 7th Feb 2010 12:45pm
Used to be some large fishing ponds on the Cadburys site when it was farmland etc.
Posted By: golfvr Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 9th Feb 2010 4:04pm
I used to fish the 'Figgy' pond, and there was a monster turrapin (sp?) living in it. Used to swin up and attack your float.

I remember there being some real good size carp in there too.

I last fished it app. 1994.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: Figure Eight Ponds - 15th Feb 2010 9:21pm
yeah thats about the time i last dabbled on there..had done 3 nights on a cheshire mere for a 28lb common smile and got a call off a mate who was fishing it for the night ..so came back and had a social with him on it....we had about a dozen carp up to 12lbs and oh yeah i never caught it but that terrapin was in there then !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral