Forums
Hi all I own a shop in Bebington road new ferry formally known as Wesley press and then Ferry Fresh. I would just like to see what the road and buildings were like before the road was pedestrianised.
I have found lots of photos of the top and bottom of Bebington road but none of the middle.
So if anyone knows of any photographs of the middle of Bebington road New Ferry. I would be very grateful.
here are 2....
[Linked Image]

and 1897
[Linked Image]

hope these help
chris
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photos of The middle of Bebington Road New Ferry - 2nd Feb 2010 2:08pm
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
brilliant pictures wow
paul were was birch's bakery?
i've lived in new ferry all my life and can't remember it?

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photos of The middle of Bebington Road New Ferry - 2nd Feb 2010 2:39pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
paul were was birch's bakery?
i've lived in new ferry all my life and can't remember it?

It was 62 Bebington Road. Not only did they sell bread but also pet food, fertilizer and seeds. The date of the picture is 1913 so may of not been around in your time.
oh....1913.....was'nt around then,long long before my time lol..........
62 bebington road is now the oxfam shop
Lived in New Ferry from the early to the mid 70's, thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see those old photo's.
These photos are fantastic. I've just spent most of the morning in Bebington library finding out a bit more about my building.
After sifting though the gores directories and Kelly’s directories I found the following entrys.
1902: John Irwin Sons & Co Ltd (Grocer)
1916 - 1955: Roger Williams (Grocer)
And a strange entry of
44 - 46 Bebington Road New ferry
1960-1962 Wesley Press (Printers) & Reece & Sons Ltd (Confectioners).

Thanks for all your help & information
Martin.
not very good pic showing part of road on right

Description: shows other side of road
Attached picture Bebington Road New Ferry resized.jpg
Attached picture Bebington_Road_1950.jpg
Hello Liberator,

You have more photos of New Ferry I see smile Did you find these ones after I asked last year if you had any more?

Can someone please invent a time machine - as I'm sure many of us would love to step back in time to appreciate just how proud and so much better our communities seemed to look in those days? Or is it just our rose-tinted spectacles looking at all these lovely pictures and not appreciating the relative poverty that some people lived in just around the corner?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photos of The middle of Bebington Road New Ferry - 4th Feb 2010 1:37am
Originally Posted by Trearan
Hello Liberator,

You have more photos of New Ferry I see smile Did you find these ones after I asked last year if you had any more?

Can someone please invent a time machine - as I'm sure many of us would love to step back in time to appreciate just how proud and so much better our communities seemed to look in those days? Or is it just our rose-tinted spectacles looking at all these lovely pictures and not appreciating the relative poverty that some people lived in just around the corner?

Hello Liberator??? Whatever happened to using my name "Paul"!!! .. is just my website address. It is named after an OMD album from 1993 (Liberator). The "31" is the age I was when I first started to compile material on Wallasey History for the internet - 10 years ago this May!

As for the photo's... I came across them in "Yesterday's Birkenhead" (which includes New Ferry) book by Ian Boumphrey. Available in all good book shops!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photos of The middle of Bebington Road New Ferry - 4th Feb 2010 1:40am
Originally Posted by Trearan
Hello Liberator,

...and by all means feel free to use any of the pics for your New Ferry website.
i dont think we look back with rose tinted glasses at all, life just was simpler then with know 24 hr opening know millions of tv chanells and 24 hr tv know cheap booze , less cars on the road, a slower pace of life,long summers. Yes i wish a had a time machine as well.
life was simpler then!!
i was brought up in the 50s&60s, and i can remember long summers...or did they just seem longer because i was younger?
2 channels on the tele and you had to get up off your backside to turn over! no remotes then!!and it finished at midnight when god save the queen came on!! all shops closed over Christmas holiday and remained closed untill after boxing day,if you had forgotten something tough luck!! pubs opened at 11am and closed 11pm or was it 10.30? no all day opening! going to the pictures was a night out, and just one screen!
and easy to cross the road, well i could go on and on............
if only i had a tardis , and david tennet to go with it
Some Bebington Road adverts from the Bebington Guide, about 1966:

Attached picture Scan-100204-0001.jpg
Attached picture Scan-100204-0002.jpg
Attached picture Scan-100204-0003.jpg
Attached picture Scan-100204-0004.jpg
And not forgetting Morris Edwards, quality tailor and outfitter, 62 Bebington Road.

Attached picture Morris Edwards 3em.jpg
Attached picture Morris Edwards 4em.jpg
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
[quote=Trearan]As for the photo's... I came across them in "Yesterday's Birkenhead" (which includes New Ferry) book by Ian Boumphrey. Available in all good book shops!

Oh, yes thanks Paul - I actually had the book bought for me at christmas by my daughter, but my mother snaffled it before I got to look at it on Boxing Day -she lives in Wales - and still has it at her house. I think I'm going to have to venture over the border to retrieve it, as I still haven't had the chance to look through it properly yet.

And I've managed to get to the Tardis twice in my lifetime, the most recent being last year:-

[Linked Image]

If I come across it a third time, I'll see if I can commandeer it for our exclusive use - historical research laugh

wow, thats not in your garden is it
Just a few thoughts on the mid 60's.
1. You could go out with Ten Bob, have 5 pints, a packet of fags and still have enough for Curry and Chips.
2. We had the first cable TV (Redifusion).
3. The pubs opened at 11am closed at 2pm opened again at 5pm then closed at 10.30pm
4. The summers did go on forever, I am still sitting at West Kirby with my hanky on my head, or getting the train to Chester Zoo with my mates kids and my girlfriend, snogging on Hilbre Island careful the tide does not come in. Great times, great memories.
mindplayer, you are bringing all the memories back, good ones i might add!!
does anyone remember the Empress Club in New Brighton?
i used to go there on a saturday night with a friend, we were only 16 but you had to be 18 to get in, well.....we would say we were 18! as you were queing up to get in you would be working out what year you were born to make you 18, just in case they asked!! then get the last bus home and if we missed it we walked home! when i think back! what a risk that would be these days! but you could do it then and be safe! i would'nt do it today!!!
meeting lads there, i remember some of them were off the ships...the blue funnel line, can't remember there names now!!!!
HAPPY CARE FREE DAYS!!!!!
sorry about going off topic

I used to go to the Empress as well as the Craftsmans in Grange rd
Did you go there 67/69 when a girl used to go on stage and sing
"River deep mountain high"

I met my wife there
Sometimes after it finished at night a mate(bit of a boxer)and me would go to the Crackers club and I would be terrified there as it was a club all the club bouncers went to
Saw a few fellows thrown down about 3 flights of stairs there

Anybody got pics of now and then of the Empress
no, only went to the Empress, would love to see some old pics of it if anyone has any.....or any of how it looks today.
Needed wellies to use the toilets in the Empress & safety boots to tread on the broken glass in the Crackers, that is Jimmy Williams let you in!
Originally Posted by susan
wow, thats not in your garden is it

No, that one's at the Avoncroft Museum near Bromsgrove. I'm a WWII re-enactor, and we were doing a show there last year. I had a look around the exhibits one evening when the public had gone and found it in their collection of 20th century phone boxes.

However, its not the first time I had encountered the Tardis. Back in 2005 we were doing a WWII battle at a private event in Shropshire. The organisers spent over £1million bringing in jousting knights on horseback, and other historical period re-enactors; they even had an actual Spitfire and American Mustang fly over to strafe "us Germans" at the end of the battle (we had to die with loads of squibs going off around us). The theme of the event was "time", and when we arrived there on the Friday evening there was a Tardis sitting in the middle of the field. Nobody explained why it was there, whose it was, or what would happen to it. On the Saturday morning, the re-enactors were larking about and my sons and I took some photos (I was in my German army kit).

[Linked Image]

There was a big party in the evening with over £500,000 worth of fireworks - it was 10 times bigger than the New Year fireworks in London! All the guests, about 200 of them, had paid about £1000 a ticket to get in - there were a number of famous footballers amongst them. At about midnight, my sons wanted to have their pictures taken outside the Tardis in the dark, but when we got to it there was a couple .....erm .....at it inside (the sighs and groans and the rocking motion was a dead giveaway). We beat a hasty retreat blush
FGS Please STICK TO THE TOPIC!!!

Start a new thread. It's not difficult!!

Moderators, get with it!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Photos of The middle of Bebington Road New Ferry - 11th Feb 2010 1:41pm
Originally Posted by bri445
And not forgetting Morris Edwards, quality tailor and outfitter, 62 Bebington Road.

I did a piece on Morris Edwards for Wiki...

Morris Edwards

It was definitely high-class outfitting, as I remember it in the '50s. I didn't know they had other shops, presumably at different times.

Bri
In the 1911 census a Great Uncle (Samuel Dodd) is shown as occupation Shopkeeper /Tobacconist at 50 Bebington Road New Ferry. There were 11 of the family living at that address.
My favourite shop in Bebington Road New Ferry was Buckley's Dairy. I've never had ice cream that has bettered it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral